Buying the wrong train ticket , penalty ?

Idiot brat just got nicked for having an under 16 train ticket when they are 16 and a couple of months , the ticket collector taken their name and address , what happens . fine? criminal record ?
The reason was their mate didnt have enough for a ticket so they got two junior tickets rather than leave the mate stranded in a shity city, so standing by their mate will cost them.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
To the gallows!

He'll probably get a paper fine. No criminal record though as far as I know.

A fixed penalty notice will come. Make sure it is paid as the rail company will prosecute without hesitation if brat fails to pay on time. No excuses accepted.

If prosecuted, the fine is relatively huge (dependant on whether it is prosecuted under byelaws or criminal law) so make sure brat learns and pays.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Idiot brat just got nicked for having an under 16 train ticket when they are 16 and a couple of months , the ticket collector taken their name and address
Oh for goodness sake. Repeat after me: 'That's Danjou Jr, 123 Fake Street, Falsetown, Madeupshire, MD1 1UP'.

Pay up and move on.
It's a civil offence so no criminal record.

While you're at it, slap the stupid brat round the ear a few times to knock some sense into him.

Done the crime -- pay the fine.

PS: Don't pay the penalty charge, expect a prosecution and won't get any sympathy from the magistrate.

Magistrates Court yesterday three lads found guilty of similar round my way. Avoided a £3.90 fare but were caught.

Magistrates fined each man £220.

In addition, they were each ordered to pay £160 costs, plus a statutory victim services surcharge of £30.

Finally, the three were each ordered to compensate GWR to the value of the ticket they tried to avoid paying.

Leave a lad behind in a shïthole, or run the risk of getting a fine, mates that are truly loyal are harder to find than a minor monetary penalty. Kid showed class, aside from the fine part you should be proud, seems you have a stand up son.

I recently visited the uk for work and took a train to and from the office for a few days. Much to my surprise My ticket was checked on every journey often more than once. No getting away with it these days eh.

It’s a criminal offence. It’s in a railway bylaw from 18canteen.
The grippers have some special kind of power of arrest. Not like old bill, but something more than your average Joe. They have to go on some course or another & swear oaths & things. They’re in court sometimes 3-4 times a week. It’s also an offence to give them false details. If you’ve got no form of ID they’ll call the BTP to the train & the felon will get formerly arrested & then fined. In extreme cases of multiple offending they can be banned from using the company concerned.

It’s a criminal offence. It’s in a railway bylaw from 18canteen.
If you’ve got no form of ID they’ll call the BTP to the train & the felon will get formerly arrested & then fined. In extreme cases of multiple offending they can be banned from using the company concerned.
True. The cnuts ask you for your name, address and date of birth. They then make a phone call. If the details you provided don't add up, you get to meet BTP at the next station.

True. The cnuts ask you for your name, address and date of birth. They then make a phone call. If the details you provided don't add up, you get to meet BTP at the next station.
I wonder what sort of people BTP attracts. Want to be a copper? - then join the "proper police". Saying that, nowadays, in an era of terorism I suppose the network police take a much higher role however day to day fare-evasion, piss-heads and moving on beggars wouldn't float my boat much. Still seems a pretty piss-poor second option to standard policing. II certainly stand ready to be corrected, any BTP on here?

I wonder what sort of people BTP attracts. Want to be a copper? - then join the "proper police". Saying that, nowadays, in an era of terorism I suppose the network police take a much higher role however day to day fare-evasion, piss-heads and moving on beggars wouldn't float my boat much. Still seems a pretty piss-poor second option to standard policing. II certainly stand ready to be corrected, any BTP on here?
Maybe they like trains