Buying Shotgun - ARRSE expertise required

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by sanchauk, Nov 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I received a great deal of help on the "best callibres" thread in the QMs on rifles to put on my FAC amendment. It's in and hopefully in the new year my local dealer will be getting a bit of business.

So rifles sorted, now onto shotguns. Over the last couple of years I have been kindly loaned various shotguns. I use them for game on my own patch: pidgeons, rabbits etc. The one I got on with the best was a Benelli Super Eagle II. I just really couldn't miss. However, it's a bloody ugly thing and as I have the opportunity to do shoots with work, would go down like a lead balloon.

So , come March (bonus time) I was looking to invest 1000 - 1500 in a decent shotgun. Drivers being: Good fit (I'm 6'2 and long armed), will hold value and finally if sanchauk snr doesn't muck up, would be something nice to pass onto future sanchuk jnr (s??).

I like the look of the Webley 700 / 712 or a Browning 525. Any advice would be warmly received, particularly with respect to makes and models in that price bracket in the second-hand market.

Many thanks all.

2. Post on the ARRSE clay shoot thread. Check my posts.

3. Try UGLY as well.

4. Many thanks JoseyWales.

5. Sorry to go a bit OT, but when did Webley start making shotguns again?

Nice looking gun by the way.

6. There is a Sporting Guns Auction in my RBL club In Cardiff onSunday 7th December there usualy some nice shot guns at reasonable prices contact County leisuresport on 01554 771655, last time there were some nice antque rifles..militaria collectors fair in Brecon 30th November same contact number, get a catalogue and se iff you fancy any thing

7. Guntrader is a good source to look at...

guntrader.co.uk

... depends on what you are after. I take it you want something for game shooting? Side by Side is still considered the "Correct" gun for this, although frankly most shoots these day would not mind if you turned up with an O/U..

My own suggestion is to go for a good second hand S/S. Lots around if you look... Good British boxlock ejectors are obtainable if you shop around.

If you are a tall lad, then older guns are likely to fit you better, as the fashion was for longer stocks. I got SubCal a good side by side at the Bisley Trafalgar meet last year. He's a big lad and found a long stock 30" barrel London gun for around £400.

Don't be in too much of a rush to buy. Carry your ticket around with you and go in to any dealers you find. Have a good rummage along the racks. There is always a steady trickle of old guns coming in to the trade as their owners pop their clogs...

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Webley like many English names, BSA included have been sold and the guns and bits are all made in Turkey or spain etc. The name is sold and the right to use it goes with it although the records may not!

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Rabbits and pidgeons in reasonable numbers would make me lean for a semi-auto from Beretta or Benelli - fitting is easy with butt spacers if you are built like an orangutan.
    For an O/U look at Browning 525, Beretta Silver Pidgeon as these are so mainstream they will hold their value better than some of the newer or more esoteric makes. Handle a few for fit and feel, and bear in mind that anything more than a removable butt spacer may make the gun unsaleable.
    From an investment perspective 1500 gets you a good used English gun that if looked after (used but not abused) will likely increase in value.

Edited to add:
    When I say English I mean proper English like a Churchill - not some beechwood/Turkish concoction that is aimed at the functional/practical/economic end of the market :wink:

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Have a look at some of the entry level Perazzis. They are good and you can get a half decent second hand one for under 2 grand.

The new Purdey Sporter is based on the Perazzi design and it costs £25,000! So if it is good enough for Purdey it is good enough for most people's needs.

For a nice SxS have a look at a second hand AYA. These are basically copies of the Holland & Holland Royal. They come in various grades ranging from a basic No2 model with no engraving and beech wood (£3500 new) to the deluxe model which is finished and engraved in England (£13,000 new). These are very nice looking guns and will definitely not look out of place at a game shoot, although maybe a bit flash for clay bashing.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I own an AYA Yeoman, a great gun and only 125 pounds second hand, non ejector but hits birds, rabbits and clays all day long!

12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Perazzi's are superb - but out of the 1000-1500 quid bracket.

I love Aya guns, unfortunately others do to, therefore my reserved cabinet spot for a high quality Aya S/S 20 bore bird gun remains vacant - thinking of visiting central Spain for some red leg shooting/bargain hunting - anyone ever done that?

14. AYA boxlock no318384 28x2 1/4 sold for a mere £80 in Cardiff auction in sep