Buying rifles in America

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ChrisV, Jul 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my friends is going out to the US. What is the law regarding the purchasing of arms whilst you are there? I know it differs from state to state. Would he be able to purchase a rifle or such while he was there? Also does anyone know the law regarding the sale of weapons to none US citizens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

3. Chris

You might want to re-post this at 14:00 hrs when many of our spam friends will be dribbling their first coffee of the day onto their keyboards at work.

I know ctauch has a gun...he has threatned to use it on me if I attempt to defile his cat/wife/Harley when i visit in a couple of weeks. :lol:

He'll be online by lunchtime here

MD

4. The Mrs (half yank for her sins) says that you need to prove you're a us citizen before buying anything. Most weapons have a time delay between buying and collection to allow for checking of who you are.

Not official, but hopefully of some use.

5. Thank you that is a lot of help. If you are a not a US citizen is there any way to purchase firearms? Say for instance if you had a VISA and were staying there for an extended period.

6. ChrisV who do you want to shoot?

7. ***Cough*** mother-in-law ***Cough*** :p

8. Spamette here, in the process of emigrating to marry a Brit squaddie...

I don't know where you're vacationing, and all gun laws vary state by state...for an example, here's an FAQ from the Caifornia Department of Justice that's a good gateway for inquiries.

I do know that California has some of the strictest gun laws in the U.S.:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

On the other hand, if you've got $300 USD cash and you know where your local public high school is, you could probably acquire one without all the legal hassle. Shipping would be your problem. They'd even file off the serial numbers at no extra charge. 8O

9. If you bring it back to the UK you cant sell it until it has been to the proof house although you can use it your self

Dave

10. Firearms to be shipped, MUST be sent to a Registered Dealer.
    Depends on the state about rifles, but almost all States require a Permit for hand guns.
    Indiana does NOT require residency/ citizenship to purchase a rifle/ shotgun

However if you are here a short while, what will you do to dispose of them when going home?
    Can you "borrow" desired bangstick?

11. Bring it back with you if you have certificate to hold it with the relevent space. The price differance is massive for identical fire arms.

Dave

12. Citizenship isn't a requirement, but legal residency is, and as I recall there is a requred length of residency before qualifying.

This of course doesn't necessarily apply to a purchase from a private individual.

13. Permits are usually for concealed carry, not for purchase of a handgun. Not that there isn't paperwork involved, and background check requirements for purchase.

14. IIRC non-citizen immigrants have to be resident for 6 months before buying any bang sticks. A mate of mine did this when he was working out there.

But check the ATF website!