BUYING No. 1 dress jacket (not renting)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Jul 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. has anyone got any recommendations for BUYING a brand new number one dress jacket? getting married in september. only place i have found so far is messdress.com, who charge £395 to tailor make one!

any better ideas? yes, i'm considering renting. but i'm specifically seeing if i can buy the jacket new (for a bit cheaper than the above). don't need trousers, as they are apparently exactly the same as your mess dress trousers (learn something new every day! :))

any recommendations much appreciated.

any funny comments on the wisdom / folly of getting married also welcome ;)

2. you could try ebay got mine from there for 165 pound all i have to do is tailor it.

3. You are what??

4. sorryk613, i mean im going out on the p*ss with the lads and i'm looking for fancy dress :)

5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

6. cheers for the suggestions, decided in the end to go with silvermans - complete set for £195 (minus 10% squaddie discount). will get it tailored and badged up with tailors, then sell it afterwards as SAS battledress on ebay for an obscene profit :D

would have gone with renting it, except you really only get it a few days before the wedding. potential for f*ck-ups seemed huge. and if i have to spend over £2000 on dresses for the chicks, why shouldn't i spend a couple of hundred on myself?!?

7. Quite right CR - and a very large portion of congratulation on the impending nuptials.*

* together with a larger prescription of WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING?

8. Good man. Hiring the wedding rig from Moss Bros is about £65 anyway...

9. Got my blues jacket second hand from the kit shop at the Sappers place at Brompton barracks. Cost me £60 and a new pair of collar badges and some buttons. Several other of the larger Corps have decent second hand shops and theya re well worth a look.

Just had a new set of Service Dress made by The Mess Dress in Bournemouth- even had the final set delivered in person to my house the day prior to the parade at Sandhurst I was due to wear it at. The service was great and it is a load cheaper than some peope charge.

10. okaaaaaaay the number ones arrived from silverstones. very prompt.

trouble is, my first reaction on opening them was "these aren't british army number ones!"

now, i last wore number ones as a best man about 13 years ago. so my memory is hazy. the material is fairly lightweight - which is nice - but not the heavy woollen material i remember. and the buttons look like cheap sh*t russian army ones or something!!! stars on them. now there could be a logical explanation for this i.e. you get your regimental buttons put on there anyway, so it doesnt matter so they just put some cheap sh*t on.

problem is there is no-one here who has recently done ceremonial duties, or got married, who can say if they are the correct pattern for number ones? is there a lightweight / more user friendly version that has been introduced since i last had them in 93?

so please help with answers if you can:

Should they be black or very dark blue? these are black.
    Should there be thin piping around the epaulettes? these have v thin piping (red - obviously will have to get this replaced with green slimey colour for my lot)
    Is there any way i can tell for sure if these ARE number ones?

To confuse things, the trousers look just like my mess dress trousers (which is encouraging) except of this lighter weight material. So I am truly confused!

Last thing i want is to find out after i got married that all my photos show the first british soldier to get married in Ukrainian ceremonial dress or something ;)

11. Realise its too late for CR but Blues made by Kashkets in London at a cost of Jacket £525, Trs £208 inc VAT. Tad expensive as old style tailors just off Knightsbridge but at least you match the rest of the British Army.

Tel 0207 4958429

Who knows CR they may even confirm colours for you!? Failing that plenty of stalls in Camden Market can sell you traditional Ukranian headgear etc to complete the look...................

12. Realise its too late for CR but Blues made by Kashkets in London at a cost of Jacket £525, Trs £208 inc VAT. Tad expensive as old style tailors just off Knightsbridge but at least you match the rest of the British Army.

Tel 0207 4958429

Who knows CR they may even confirm colours for you!? Failing that plenty of stalls in Camden Market can sell you traditional Ukranian headgear etc to complete the look...................

13. cheers bigred :) i might go for the Ukrainian theme wedding. besides messdress.com do it for £395 hand made. why pay london prices?