Buying new PC - need update on processors and graphics cards

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New job, new country, so its time to leave the five-year-old Advent at home and buy a decent games machine to occupy those lonely expat evenings... (Mrs 4(T) is around to ensure I don't enjoy too many of the traditional expat amusements...)

I'm a bit out of date with hardware at the moment (eg I went to the local PC shop to buy a replacement MS optical mouse, and was amazed to find out how much rodents have changed - now I have a lazer version with an incredible number of buttons and which glows purple for some reason...).

With PCs, I usually buy "high end" but not "bleeding edge" - so I don't need a megabucks gaming starship cooled by liquid helium, or whatever the geeks are using these days. I'll probably get a machine built locally, so just need to know where we are with processors and graphics cards at the moment - eg Intel/AMD, core duo/quad core, NVidia/ATi, etc.

In the past I've started by looking at the configurations on the Dell site, and taking those as a benchmark. Unfortunately, Dell now seems to list so many processor options and deals that its hard to understand what is new and what is old.

I was wondering therefore if anyone can point to a site which gives an easily-understandable road map of the current processors and/or graphics cards?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. depending on how much you want to spend, but i've got this one overclockers

it will play COD4 & Crysis, both of which are graphics demanding
  4. Give us a an aprox price tag and whether that includes monitor and speakers and I will provide links to a few systems.
  5. There's a Medion base unit in Tesco at the moment for £519. It seems quite well specced, but what do I know.
  6. A Quad core q6600 and a 8800GT alog with 4GB ram and a nvidia 680 i motherboard =)
  7. there is such a broad range of price tags that you need to give us a left and right of arc with the capabilites of your wallet.
  8. Hi all,

Thanks for the input; sorry for late reply - getting online was not a trivial task out here...

Budget could be about £800 for the box only.

Not looking for an online custom system, 'cos I'll either have to buy locally or get one off the shelf in Uk and put it in my suitcase.

What i'm really after is an indication of which processor is newest/ most future proof/ best-buy at the top end, and likewise the graphics card.
  9. This is my PC . The Basics are as follows. Ive got loads of other good stuff as weell but the basic system is :

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 (4 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/8MB L2 Cache

Memory (RAM)

ASUS® P5K-E/WIFI: DDR2, SATAII, 2xPCI-e x16, 3 PCI, 2xPCI-e x1

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
    150GB WD Raptor® X Clear Cover SATA 16MB CACHE (10000rpm)

Graphics Card
    768MB GEFORCE 8800 ULTRA PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

Sound Card
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi Platinum - Fatal1ty Champion Series
  10. :D if you go to SCAN they do some cracking deals of the day /week etc and are well worth a look .
    2 of my mates bought their new machines from there as part of package deals .They were self built though . :twisted:
  11. OK, if your after a few specifics as of right here right now in terms of value.

CPU's: AMD still playing catchup, but watch this space
    Best value CPU out there at moment in terms of Price and potential to Overclock higher is either Quad Core Q6600 or Dual Core E6750

Graphics cards: Dodgy area because DX10 is very slow to take off, but if you assume that "its has to eventually" then for DX10 cards ATI are also still playing catch up and really the best card for the price is the GeoForce 8800 320Mb GTS for around £200 (and I say this as one who has just forked out for the £450 8800 Ultra pre overclocked) You can buy pre overclocked versions of this card that are approaching 8800 GTX speeds.
    Avoid the 8600's unless price is a real issue.

To be honest if you are prepared to spend £800 on just the box only, you should be able to get a cracking machine
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

4(T) you don't mention which country you are going to. PCs are very expensive in the UK. What you pay in pounds in UK you tend to pay the same number but in euros on the continent. If you're going to the ME I believe its similar to the US, far east is also cheaper.

So tell us which country and we can try from there?

Edited to add

700 quid will get you this