Buying land - where/how?

I've just received my bonus for the year, and am looking to possibly buy a small plot of land 1/4 - 1/2 an acre.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend looking for land? I've had a mooch on Rightmove/zoopla, but that mainly seems to be focussed on land in towns for building a house on.

I'd be looking for the land in either the South Lake District, Essex, Wiltshire or possibly Devon.

1/4 or 1/2an acre without planning or any chance of planning is a waste of time , its just a big allotment .

1/4 or 1/2an acre without planning or any chance of planning is a waste of time , its just a big allotment .
Not bothered about that. It's for a long-term project that doesn't need planning permission. I'm just looking into the type of thing I can get for my money.

Not bothered about that. It's for a long-term project that doesn't need planning permission. I'm just looking into the type of thing I can get for my money.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I looked at buying some woodland about ten years ago, there seems to be pretty restrictive covenants applied through most agencies like woodlands.co.uk to the point where I thought fukit - I'll just buy from a farmer / landowner direct, and then forgot all about it....

If there's any land available in the Chipping Norton area, buy it ,make yourself known to the local set that you're planning a stables for pony types and then resell it for cash to some pikeys.

Pretty much every thing needs planning if its currently agricultural land including erecting agricultural buildings , keeping two sheep or half a cow is not a good idea.

Good agricultural land is around £10k per acre but thats for a farm , its not uncommon for pony paddocks fetch £40k plus per acre.

Looking at that, and with my budget, I may be able to expand my intent to 1 to 2 acres. Thanks.
Those types of companies are bad news. They buy up large areas of woodland, then sub divide into smaller plots. Access can become an issue. You may also find yourself surrounded by "neighbours" that you may not want.
Several websites deal with small plots of land and smallholders.
smallholding co uk
greenshifters co uk
addland com
rural scene co uk
smallholdingsforsale co uk
Horse and Hound sometimes has land for sale in their property section, and one called barnsetc co uk may help.
Look at plot finder net and plot browser com they sometimes have fields with "no planning permission, but suitable for leisure use"
Good luck

What sort of long-term project?
Are you certain this land does not need any permissions?*
Avoid areas that have National Park status as this is a whole new area of pain.
* Always, always check thoroughly. Covenants covering land usage can be complicated.

I think that with the phasing out of BPS (guaranteed income for **** all) and replacement with ELMS (public goods) we could see a decent amount of land come onto the market over the next couple of years, with some of the pension funds not seeing it as such a good guaranteed investment, and definitely much less attractive to medium size investors.

However George Useless seems to be doing all he can to undermine public goods and keep the easy subsidy tap flowing for farmers, so it’s possible that the conditions for tier one may be watered down enough to not scare off investors. Potential changes in Agricultural Relief rules for inheritance tax could make a difference too, and people already invested may switch land over to woodland in order to keep the tap flowing for another few years. In which case expect a glut of cheap woodland in about 20-25 years after first thinnings.

I wouldn’t touch woodlands.co.uk With a barge pole, massively overpriced and restrictive covenants. I’d recommend speaking to a local chartered surveyor that offers land agency services and telling him what you’re looking for - my brother recently made mistake of not listening to my advice on that and ended up missing out on a cracking local property, because he was focusing on estate agents rather than speaking to local CS himself.

I've just received my bonus for the year, and am looking to possibly buy a small plot of land 1/4 - 1/2 an acre.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend looking for land? I've had a mooch on Rightmove/zoopla, but that mainly seems to be focussed on land in towns for building a house on.

I'd be looking for the land in either the South Lake District, Essex, Wiltshire or possibly Devon.
There’s a plot of land in glenridding, it’s about 100m up from the travelers rest pub, about 200m away from the start of the hike up to helvelyn.

Its up for 300,000. If I didn’t already own a property there, I would buy it. It’s been on the market for over 18 months and I am reliably informed that the owner would take offers of 280000.

Latest Threads