Buying Boots ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by i_am_mike, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. Shadow user finally registered! ha

I'm wanting to buy my first pair of boots to take with me when i eventually go for RM selection this year can anyone advise a brand/website/ebay store and also what size do i get? I wear a 10 and a half trainer.

Thank you.

Mike.

2. I already have those but there not living up to what i expected.

3. FFS, look at the 'sticky' at the top of the page!

4. Mainly down to personal preference but can guarantee majority of people will be wearing hanwags or lowas, thats if theyre not wearing issue boots. Theres also altbergs, never tried them myself but they have buy off the shelf boots, or if you can make it to the factory they can take a mould of your feet and make boots personally tailored to your foot.

Although if its RM selection you're doing im lead to believe you should be wearing issue boots due to the fact that if you injure your feet ankles in any other boots you may not have a claim.

5. Thank you tank

6. No probs, as i say i dont claim to be an expert but certainly from my experience ive found lowas and hanwag boots to be the most comfortable. Dont know what RM selection entails so i dont know about that side of it, also gore-tex i think will be a definite specially if its this time of year.

will someone please step in correct me if im wrong, what do i know about boots im just a loggy

7. Suggestions: Search bar, Stickies and any thread with the word 'BOOTS'

also use what your issued, everyone else does

8. You'll get given a worn in pair to wear for PRMC when you arrive and then a nice new shiny pair at the end (if successful) for rct training.

9. I'd advise against built-in goretex boots, especially for this lad; if it's RM he's going for, they'll get wet and stay that way, he won't have time to dry them out, which takes a freakin' age anyway. Use separate inserts.

Also good advice given re. non-issue boots+injury=no compo claim. The System will use any means to squirm out from under a claim, no matter how bona fide.

10. I've heard that the boots don't actually have to be ISSUED TO YOU, they just need to be of a type approved, and issued by, the MoD.

Thus, you should now be covered in Altbergs and Lowas, as the MoD issue both in some cases.

11. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Unless you have a medical chit for that type of boot, you're likely to be on sticky ground. From what I have seen/heard, if you wear Lowas without one and injure yourself, then there is a liability issue and you can't claim.

In short, wear issue boots, no matter how shit they are. They dry overnight and you can change the insoles to something that suits your feet easily enough.