Buying Body Armour

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Jun 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a journo, I came back from Libya a few weeks ago, and I'm going back in a couple of weeks, inshallah.

I've decided that this time round, I'd rather like body armour. However, work- being *****- won't pay for it, so my options are more limited than I'd like.

What I'd really like is something like Osprey, so I can dash about Dafnia with my various bits of comms eqpt dangling from my MOLLE straps- and look ally on Facebook in the process :)

Now while the vests are cheap enough, the kevlar plates are hard to source and pricy. So:

1) Would cheap ceramic plates (from Spycatcher, eg) fit an Osprey vest? If not:

2) Could anyone point me in the direction of something cheap and suitable?

Thanks in advance,

Rumps

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I can't comment on suppliers, but you will need to check out the requirements for export licences etc.

3. You could do worse than talk to Intelligent Armour, who post around here, both as themselves and in a personal capacity.

H

4. You could always just stuff the kevlar pockets with cardboard. Nobody will know, plus its cheaper than kevlar and a lot lighter; everyones' a winner.

5. A thick cardigan would be much better!:)

6. Thanks for the suggestions. Well, most of them...

So really, what I want to know is: will civvy-purchase 245 x 295 x 6mm ceramic plates fit a) Osprey b) CBA vests?

These are the ones I'm on about: Ballistic Ceramic Plate - Spycatcher

7. So they don't look like armed forces, therefore less likely to attract incoming fire.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Too big for the ECBA, not the right shape for Osprey. Why insist on those plates? You can buy an ECBA with layer and original trauma plates for nothing on ebay with the same level (IIIa, III) of protection. I am not sure if any of the early Osprey models are already available online, not seen any on ebay.

9. Thank you for stating the obvious. It would be more fun to issue the journos with standard (woodland perhaps) DPM in Afghan, no?

10. Work being ***** should pay for it its called health and safety, they have a duty of care as your employer to provide you with the correct PPE, get then to buy the vest!

11. Thanks! This was what I was after...

I thought Level IV was the only thing to stop 7.62?

12. Yeah, but I'm freelance...

13. So your boss is a dick then? ;-)

Do you have contact with any other journos - 'Borrow' a set off of them?

14. Let's not go there... What is the protection level of your ballistic helmet? Level III is what the Amanpour's and Robertson's of this world roam around in (plus a CP team of course).