• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Buying Body Armour

I'm a journo, I came back from Libya a few weeks ago, and I'm going back in a couple of weeks, inshallah.

I've decided that this time round, I'd rather like body armour. However, work- being *****- won't pay for it, so my options are more limited than I'd like.

What I'd really like is something like Osprey, so I can dash about Dafnia with my various bits of comms eqpt dangling from my MOLLE straps- and look ally on Facebook in the process :)

Now while the vests are cheap enough, the kevlar plates are hard to source and pricy. So:

1) Would cheap ceramic plates (from Spycatcher, eg) fit an Osprey vest? If not:

2) Could anyone point me in the direction of something cheap and suitable?

Thanks in advance,

Rumps

You could always just stuff the kevlar pockets with cardboard. Nobody will know, plus its cheaper than kevlar and a lot lighter; everyones' a winner.

Too big for the ECBA, not the right shape for Osprey. Why insist on those plates? You can buy an ECBA with layer and original trauma plates for nothing on ebay with the same level (IIIa, III) of protection. I am not sure if any of the early Osprey models are already available online, not seen any on ebay.

Work being ***** should pay for it its called health and safety, they have a duty of care as your employer to provide you with the correct PPE, get then to buy the vest!

Too big for the ECBA, not the right shape for Osprey. Why insist on those plates? You can buy an ECBA with layer and original trauma plates for nothing on ebay with the same level (IIIa, III) of protection. I am not sure if any of the early Osprey models are already available online, not seen any on ebay.
Thanks! This was what I was after...

I thought Level IV was the only thing to stop 7.62?

Let's not go there... What is the protection level of your ballistic helmet? Level III is what the Amanpour's and Robertson's of this world roam around in (plus a CP team of course).
1) Um, don't have a helmet...

2) Yeah, but they don't go anywhere near the action. When I was in Misrata (sorry), the Beeb and AJE sat in our CP all day and just edited together footage of the bang-bang stuff they'd got off freelancers.

So would a Level III be OK? I'm quite confused by the different classifications.

Thought so. Unless you are expecting a direct assault (in which case it really won't matter), Level III offers plenty protection. Contacting intelligent armour as per above might be the right way forward. www.njlawman.com/feature pieces/body armor.htm The same is on wikipedia.com. body armour protection levels, body armour, protection levels, nij, NIJ, IIA, II, IIIA, III, IV, ballistic vests, stab vests, protection, national institute of justice, NIJ Ballistic protection levels, NIJ Body armour, Ballistic testing uk, body armo

According to this, level III must withstand 6 rounds of 7.62 x 51. Get yourself a helmet and some eye protection though, that is probably the biggest risk.

Honestly thought that ebay offering was spot on, if it is your size.

more info than you could possibly want BulletProofME.com Body Armor - Ballistic Protection Levels

VestGuard UK - Ballistic Armour Plates > Level III (3) Ultra Lightweight Hard Armour Plate thats the sort of stuff you want
give intelligent armour a bell if your going to spend your own £££ on this you want stuff that works and you will wear
an EOD suit will keep you safe but you won't wear it as its too heavy.
They can advise on whats the best thats out there. definitly get a helmet

Buy a helmet and wear it good luck and stay safe

Not sure about going into Libya, but travelling through some locations such as Dubai and other Arab states with body armour, can end up with the body amour taken by customs and you in jail.

Latest Threads