Buying an SLR.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Looked at an L1A1 SLR for sale yesterday, so on the pretext of trawling for information, I thought I would post this to make folks in UK jealous :D

Anyway, the rifle is number UE 60 A54831, receiver upper and lower match - both parts look like new with zero wear visible - better than anything I saw while serving. Barrel has external wear as does the carrying handle and plastic stock. Gas plug and piston are also as new (and obviously never scrubbed by a squaddie for hours).
    Rear sight base looks like a new part, marked in yards.

So its currently reserved for me at an armoury in France, I'll get it on my French ticket (its category 1, military so requires a pre-purchase permission). Asking price is Euro 800. It came through the trade from another armoury who could not shift it, origin therefore not known.

Handling one for the first time in about 19 years has meant emotion has become a purchase decision factor....
    I'm happy to swap out the barrel for a new one if needed, but anything I should be looking for?

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I went to Elvington "Wings and Wheeels" a few years ago

There was loads of sale

I don't think they were 800 Euros either

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm guessing "Wings and Wheeels" is not in Basingstoke though..... :)

There are a couple for sale in Germany right now with US made receivers for Euro 1025....

4. Perhaps ARSSE members can have whip round and ship them out to Camp Bastion

:p

5. It would be very easy to develop a strong dislike for smug gits on the internet Alsacien..... :cry:
    How many hoops to you have to jump through for one of these Category 1 licence's there in France?

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I need an ok to purchase from the French shooting federation - which my club will get for me in a week (based on them saying I'm an ok guy and regular club member). I send that to the prefecture (council office) who may send a gendarme around to check my security, but a photo of the cabinet usually works fine. Then they give me an authority to purchase which I take to the armoury and walk away with the rifle...simples. The armoury send the paperwork to the prefecture to finalise the registration, and in a couple of weeks I could pop in and get it added to my European Firearms Pass - and take it everywhere except UK......

7. see, I read stuff like this and I find it hard to get as annoyed as so many others on the subject of further european integration... :?:

Is full auto legal there?

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

No, but you can get an exception for collectors items but not to use.
    You can even buy a tank with a working main armament - but you have to keep the working parts in the Gendarmerie "when not in use" :D

9. Mmmh. Seems remarkably sensible.
    I wonder if I can convince my sister she needs an SLR at her farmhouse in France?
    I could take holidays there just to fondle it.
    On the other hand, it could be a factor in where I retire in a decade or so.

Its just a shame the UK is so backwards when it comes to things like this.
    I had a friend emigrate to New Zealand last year, he had a (NZ equiv) licence within a month of buying his house there and it entitles him to buy pretty much anything he fancies.

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nah, France sucks.
    Weather is crappy, food is terrible, women are all munters, lots of stupid laws, crime is high, fuel costs a fortune, taxes are high, folks just get pissed up and fight every evening in towns, alcohol is expensive.....or am I confusing it with somewhere else :?

11. So it is possible to own rifles chambered for "military" rounds in France? When I asked I was told that 7.62 was a no-no.

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If this SLR was re-chambered to 7mm08 I could have walked out of the shop with it.
    Military calibres are category 1 (.338 Lapua Magnum is classed as Cat 5. hunting though :D ), procedure to aquire as previously described.
    Most folks avoid cat 1 because of the what I consider to be minor hassle involved. Folks don't like doing things that involve plod or officials.

13. Thinking about this, I'm still agrieved that the damned French can go out and legally buy a SLR but in this country you've got no fooking chance, ever.

Its just not right.

14. There's a company selling SLRs here in Germany, I definitely intend to get one, unfortunately because of a change in the law I will have to wait 6 months as I have just acquired a M1 Garand and a Browning.
    As a comfort to tide me over every now and then I drool over the report on the SLR in Visier.

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Got a link? (I have a German ticket too...)