Buying a Tax Free TV in the UK

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by once_a_maverick, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the Naafi is such a rip off here I will be buying a TV on my next trip to the UK. Apparently as an entitled individual I can buy it tax free in some stores with the right paperwork. Can any of you knowledgable lot point me in the right direction please?

2. Normally you pay the full UK retail price, but then take the receipt to the HMRC desk at your port of departure from UK and reclaim VAT. You might have to show evidence that you are resident outside of UK.

3. Thought it was resident outside of the EU.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I think because under BAOR SOFA squaddies are entitled to tax free items.

5. Last time I bought a TV, I had to prove I had a TV license. Don't know how that will square if you intend to export it.

6. You should be able to buy one but.... er, why?

By one from a German* shop, just check it is compatable with UK. Most of them are now.

* Or where ever you are.

7. You don't need to prove you have a tv licence any more, you have to provide a name and address - even if paying with cash.

That also applies to DVD players etc and other devices that receive tv signals (including TV capture cards).

8. Cf got a point and get your german tax off instead - jobs a good un and no declaration of TV licence.

9. Because I'm a Yorkshiremen and the prices in the UK at the moment are quite a bit cheaper. For example a certain 37" Full HD TV is going in 3 different English retailers for around £450. In the German shops the cheapest similar model I have seen has been 750 Euro.

Problem solved now anyway because although I didn't think amazon will send TV's overseas apparently they will. Then I just claim my tax back the normal way.

But thanks for your constructive ideas everyone.