Buying a new graphics card, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BossHogg, Aug 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My new self built computer has an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard. I'm looking for a compatible all round graphics card that won't break the bank. I can afford around £30 what would the best card I could buy for that? I can't afford to pay any higher, credit crunch and all that 8O Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wink:
  2. I'm in the market for a new card myself, but am unsure which one to get. All I want to do is play more recent games than Half Life 2 without slow down.) I currently have an MSI K8N-SLI board with an Nvidia Geforce 6600gt graphics card. I am aware that I can run a second identical card in serial, but would this boost the performance? I've heard rumours to the contrary about twin cards in SLI, that's all, but at £20 on Ebay it's not much of a risk. If buying a new stand-alone card is the wiser option, which one should I get?
  3. What is considered decent? I'm using an Athlon 64 3500+ processor.
  4. I'm trying to establish what cheap is. I don't really want to pay £100 plus on a graphics card, as I'll probably need a whole new computer in the next couple of years anyway. What I meant was - I can get a 6600gt for £20 to run alongside the one I've got. Will this noticeably improve the performance I currently have? (Not too clued up on all things SLI etc, as you may have guessed :D )
  5. You poor buggers i just got rid of a GeFarce 7950GX2 on theifbay for 50 notes... will have a look around if i have anything else if your not in a hurry

Today AMD attacked the mainstream market just as aggressively with a pair of new cards: the Radeon HD 4670 and 4650. According AMD's pitch, the 4670 can perform up to twice as fast as Nvidia's GeForce 9500 GT for close to the same price. The 4670 is launching at $79 with supposedly immediate availability, while the 4650 will follow later this month at $69.What kind of hardware makes the 4670 allegedly perform so well? AMD's new GPU has 320 stream processors, a 750MHz core clock speed, a 128-bit memory bus, and 512MB of 1000MHz GDDR3 memory (a 1GB variant is coming later). The 4650 also has 320 SPs, but with lower clock speeds and 512MB of GDDR2 memory. And thanks to TSMC's 55nm process technology, two cards have power envelopes of less than 60W and 50W, respectively.

Heres a couple around your price range. Aria is one of the cheapest suppliers I have found to date and I have never had a problem with anything I have bought from them in the past.

Have a look at their daily deals etc as well, you might find something.

Just remember, anything you buy for around that price range will struggle on newer games if you have the graphics settings fairly high.
  8. Have to disagree about ebuyer with the second poster I'm afraid; completely thieving ignorant bastards in my experience