Buying a new car? Would this sway your choice?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Infiltrator, Aug 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In response to the Kia 7 year warranty, Vauxhall has announced a "lifetime or 100,000 mile" warranty.

Now, I'm no Vauxhall lover, but to be fair, it would certainly make me go and have some serious looks.

Lifetime warranty for all new Vauxhalls - Telegraph

Any thoughts? Or are they just going to try to wriggle out of any claims?
  2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

No. I would not buy a Vauxhall.

Whats a Kia? Is it some martial arts thing?
  3. Well, sort of. I wouldn't let Mrs Jagman buy a Kia but I might let her buy a Vauxhall. Wouldn't fancy one for myself though
  4. Because I'm not a snob I would definitely consider it. If they sold an equivalent to my Galaxy (and no, the Zafira isn't anywhere near the same)
  5. Whats snobbery got to do with it?
    With the possible exception of the Monaro V8 thing they just don't make anything that appeals
  6. "Upkeep of the warranty relies on customers visiting a Vauxhall dealer annually for a free vehicle inspection"

I think whatever it is going to cost them will be recouped by obliging you to have them conduct predictive maintenance for you. Maybe I'm a cynic but I can just see them saying at an inspection that they recommend you replace the widget, gizmo and doodah, then when you don't and it breaks its not covered.

It would certainly make me think about getting one, but I would pour over the small print. You don't get nuthin' for nuthin'.
  7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

100,000 miles equates to 5 years driving at an average of 20,000 miles a year. So in response to Kia's 7 years Vauxhall are offering 5 years.

Nothing to write home about.
  8. Kia's warranty is 7 years OR 100,000 miles. So, Vauxhall's is equal to or greater than Kia's. Additionally, most people do not do 20,000 miles each year, so your claim was misleading in the first place, despite being wrong.
  9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Kia's appears to be a 7 yr warranty on the car, so if you sell the warranty goes with it. This a warranty on the car whilst the original owner has it but its not transferable to the next owner. This is a marketing ploy aimed at old people who tend to drive less and keep cars longer.
  10. The Insignia is actually a rather nice car and the diesel 2.0 gets about 40,000,000 mpg. Don't know if it's enough to make me 'step down' to a Vauxhall as of course I drive a vastly superior make of car, but it's quite impressive.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Most people don't drive 20,000 miles pa? Is that why both The AA and The RAC use 20K as "average mileage"?
  12. Or 4yrs in my case, doing an average of 25,000 miles a year.
  13. You have a Galaxy. This is like someone drinking Tennant's Super looking down their nose at someone with a can of Kestrel.

YouTube - ‪Navy Minivan Recruiting Commercial‬‎
  14. I used to own a Calibra............twas a great car.

As a young lad I also had the Astra 1.4 SR......a great looking car at the time.

Granted.....nothing they do now is very appealing.
  15. Do they? Do they really?