Buying a new car? Would this sway your choice?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
No. I would not buy a Vauxhall.

Whats a Kia? Is it some martial arts thing?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Because I'm not a snob I would definitely consider it. If they sold an equivalent to my Galaxy (and no, the Zafira isn't anywhere near the same)

Because I'm not a snob I would definitely consider it. If they sold an equivalent to my Galaxy (and no, the Zafira isn't anywhere near the same)
Whats snobbery got to do with it?
With the possible exception of the Monaro V8 thing they just don't make anything that appeals

"Upkeep of the warranty relies on customers visiting a Vauxhall dealer annually for a free vehicle inspection"

I think whatever it is going to cost them will be recouped by obliging you to have them conduct predictive maintenance for you. Maybe I'm a cynic but I can just see them saying at an inspection that they recommend you replace the widget, gizmo and doodah, then when you don't and it breaks its not covered.

It would certainly make me think about getting one, but I would pour over the small print. You don't get nuthin' for nuthin'.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
100,000 miles equates to 5 years driving at an average of 20,000 miles a year. So in response to Kia's 7 years Vauxhall are offering 5 years.

Nothing to write home about.

100,000 miles equates to 5 years driving at an average of 20,000 miles a year. So in response to Kia's 7 years Vauxhall are offering 5 years.

Nothing to write home about.
Kia's warranty is 7 years OR 100,000 miles. So, Vauxhall's is equal to or greater than Kia's. Additionally, most people do not do 20,000 miles each year, so your claim was misleading in the first place, despite being wrong.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Kia's appears to be a 7 yr warranty on the car, so if you sell the warranty goes with it. This a warranty on the car whilst the original owner has it but its not transferable to the next owner. This is a marketing ploy aimed at old people who tend to drive less and keep cars longer.

The Insignia is actually a rather nice car and the diesel 2.0 gets about 40,000,000 mpg. Don't know if it's enough to make me 'step down' to a Vauxhall as of course I drive a vastly superior make of car, but it's quite impressive.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Kia's warranty is 7 years OR 100,000 miles. So, Vauxhall's is equal to or greater than Kia's. Additionally, most people do not do 20,000 miles each year, so your claim was misleading in the first place, despite being wrong.
Most people don't drive 20,000 miles pa? Is that why both The AA and The RAC use 20K as "average mileage"?

P

PrinceAlbert

Whats snobbery got to do with it?
With the possible exception of the Monaro V8 thing they just don't make anything that appeals
I used to own a Calibra............twas a great car.

As a young lad I also had the Astra 1.4 SR......a great looking car at the time.

Granted.....nothing they do now is very appealing.

Most people don't drive 20,000 miles pa? Is that why both The AA and The RAC use 20K as "average mileage"?
Not wanting to be pedantic - but Mean, Median or Modal average? I'd be very surprised if it is Mean...I'd love to know the miles someone is doing to balance out the 4 cars owned by my family that do less than 1,000 per year..;)

S_R

Not wanting to be pedantic - but Mean, Median or Modal average? I'd be very surprised if it is Mean...I'd love to know the miles someone is doing to balance out the 4 cars owned by my family that do less than 1,000 per year..;)

S_R
It's neither mean, median nor mode, if you had read the links I posted above you would see that it is wrong.

I've had 2 Vauxhall's the last being a 1600 Astra Sport, It was very 'nippy', but folded like a wet paper bag when some silly cow rear end shunted me with a Landy Disco, while playing with her baby in the back seat!It wrote off both me and the car!Never again,I stick to Volvo's now!

Vauhall's have nasty plastic cheap interiors, the cars look like shoite, i'd only have one as a gift.
I reckon the new Astra and Insignia look alright. You're right on the first point though, the interiors are very nasty indeed. The previous Astra is way behind the Focus in quality, never mind decent cars of the same type (Golf, A3 etc).

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Vauxhalls are only acceptable if you live on a council estate (in which case move to a better place) or you have been given one as a company car (in which case get a better job).