Buying a new bike

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gingwarr, Jul 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm starting a new job soon, and I'm looking at commuting to work by pushbike (it's about 10 miles away by road, but I can cut a lot of distance if I go by canal towpath).

Only thing is, I haven't owned a bike for the last ten years.

Anyone got any gen on decent commuter bikes? My budget's about 350 nicker.

2. A good starting point would be www.evanscycles.com - marin and giant (brands) do some pretty decent commuter jobs. Don't let a salesman fool you into buying disc brakes though- the cable ones are a whore to set up, and no more powerful than normal brakes.

3. i work in a bike shop atm, so i have abit of experience behind me 8)

as sarnian said, stay away from discs from what your doing.

your best bet is to get down to you local shop (try stay away from halfords, for the love of god, don't go there :p) and try some bikes out.

also, try to stay away from buying bikes from internet shops, as obviusly trying the bike out before hand isn't going to be easy, and also buying from a local shop means if anything goes wrong, you can take it straight back to them for them to sort it out for you.

4. My advice: Don't buy a bike you have to put together ALOT of parts yourself, it's likely to just as easily come apart ;)

5. As the boys have already said if your on a commute to work then get a normal bike,no need for a mountain bike or a drop handle racer. If however you fancy a few weekend of fun off road maybe a hardtail mountian bike(bike with just front suspension).Like with all things mate you get what you pay for. If its a mountain bike you want I wouldnt payless then 300 quid. That way you will get a decent bike that will last you and can handle a bit of off road.You can also lock out the front forks so you save a bit of energy on the roads.

Get on yer bike !!!

6. I used to commute about the same distance. Avoid off road tyres as they slow you down and only consider rear suspension if it locks. Find one that feels right for you - for that ride do net get drawn into buying cr&p you don't need.

7. Find a reputable bike shop with experienced staff and take their advice. If you are riding on tarmac and a towpath you might consider tyres with a central ridge for the road and some grip on the outside for off road

8. Get down to you LBS and test some bikes (Evans is good for this). Once you have found a bike you like, get on to the web and search www.froogle.co.uk for a cheaper deal - Evans is very expensive. www.Paulscycles.co.uk do lots of good deals (last years models etc).

For commuting you could get a hybred or a mountain bike with semi slick tyres (makes you go faster on the roads).
    If you are going for a mountain bike get a hard tail and avoid FS at all cost's. A propper FS will set you back a bag of sand for a desent spec one.

Also check out you local paper for second hand bikes.

9. Get yourself down to a good bike shop, not Halfords. Tell the chap what you want it for, and try a few out. Get one with a comfortable seat and don't get anything too flash, they tend to get nicked a lot. Don't get drawn into buying something you don't want, they just might be trying to get rid of it. It's always worth it to haggle, how much off for cash, can you throw me in a set of lights etc.

B_T.

10. And watch Le Tour highlights on ITV4, you'll go faster

11. From your brief description, you are in the market for a 'hybrid' style of machine - not Tour De France and not a week-ending through the local forest trails model. You get the picture.

There are lightweight 10/20 speed gear options that will handle the canal towpath on wet weather days as well as the road and for the price you wish, though I suggest that you add another £50 at least. Lightweight frame on cross country style tyres.

Frame size is very important. Ensure the assistant measures your inside leg for correct size. Yup I know that you can raise and lower saddles but...

Straight handlebars would be preferable in your situation as you've been off the machine for a bit. Quick release wheels? How safe is your machine likely to be at your workplace. Generally I chose to remove my front wheel and saddle for security, so the QR mechanisms are a boon. Likewise if you get a puncture en route, you can readily 'drop' the wheels.

Over such a distance of 10 miles, you'll need to invest in a spare tube, a puncture repair kit and a set of tools.

You may well have to invest on a lock (£30 +) Lights, most machines don't come with these as a standard fit these days. Helmet!

What about when you get to work? Is there a changing facility? Shower? A locker facility?

As has been mentioned the 'Evans' site is a good start point. Good luck!!

12. As above comments really. Dont get a full suspension bike with disks at this price as it will fall apart.

I would advise a hybrid bike with an off road bias based on what you have said.

Maybe one of these http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/

I would also strongly reccomend a cycle helmet and some gloves.

13. Lol stabilisers.. I used to love them :p