Buying a computer in Paderborn?....................

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by REGAN21, Sep 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, just after some advice on any good places for computers in Paderborn?

My boy has been there for 3 weeks and never took his laptop, as he thought he would be over weight on the luggage :|

He is now so so bored as he is still in his Transitional accommadation, and his battallion hasn't kicked in as yet. (He does tend to stay in the shadows, and is nervous about asking questions)

Anyway, he wants a computer, and we are after info, as to, if it is better to get a laptop here and send to him............or he gets one out in Paderborn? He has said that Naffi-max have a couple in stock, but not much???

Any ideas Peeps :thumright:

2. I know a few lads who have got German lappies from the kraut version of curries (mediamarkt). If you explain to the assistant they can reconfigure the computer into English-but the keyboards arent qwerty. Also he can speak to the VAT bloke in camp (mervetstoa (?)) and get the VAT back off the price.
    Failing that ask the NAAFI bird what computers they can stock and they'll order him one but although he'd be able to get it on tik it'd be pricey.
    Just tell him to go out on the piss-he'll soon make mates!

3. Most come with german operating systems installed (if he buys from a german shop) however ssvc will sell a cheap netbook for

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

why not just send him his over?

• Like Like x 3
  5. What he said^

6. I'm planning just to get components sent over from a UK based computer store and build it from the ground up then claim the VAT back off all the bits.

Can't see anything wrong with ordering from UK stockists and paying a little bit more for postage.

Maybe have a look at something like Dell who I believe if you ring them up and get it posted to a BFPO can get your VAT off already, if he's a cellar dweller like myself it mite be worth building one up himself as you can sort yourself out with a really nice PC these days for not much at all with a little graft.

7. German PC's have a different keayboard layout. I think Dell do VAT free pc's for BFPO addresses.

8. After a lot of faffing about..............he decided that he wanted his old lappy sent...............along with a bloody great long list of stuff. All in all, its cost use a chuffing fortune in postage.

Hey Ho.

Also........Thanx for all the replys to this.

9. QWERTX as opposed to QWERTY and a few extra characters as well; it's not that hard to get used to. Having said that, I've used computers err, sourced in both Austria and Germany, and you can just use an English keyboard on an Austrian/German configured machine with no problem. If you're clever enough you can even change the letters on a keyboard; I've had it done for me but didn't arse myself to watch how it was done.

Oops just noticed too late.

10. HHH

HHH LE

I thought that you had to get another piece of software to be able to read the German computers.
    If I remember right it's called ultra

11. If you ring Dell, they automatically take off the tax before you pay for it. They sometimes give you free upgrades too!!

12. I never had to; just bought a new English keyboard and away it went; maybe had to change a driver? Did it with 4 PCs sent to me over about 5 years from Austria from a firm I did some stuff for, although it wasn't that necessary as like I said they're not worlds different. TBH I'd have thought it would be even more straightforward nowadays? I used to give the Kraut keyboards to the German dept at the local Uni, but I don't know if they ever really got used or not.

13. I wouldn't buy anything off a Trotter, not after last time.

˙˙˙ɹǝɥʇıǝ ʎɐqƎ ɟɟo spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ƃuıʎnq puǝɯɯoɔǝɹ ʇ,uop I pu∀

14. HHH

HHH LE

Sorry, my previous reply was a tongue in cheek reference.

15. Missed it: too Enigmatic...

• Like Like x 1