Buying a boat , fantasy or reality?............

philc

LE
I remember a TV program some time ago about a couple who took their narrow boat across the Channel, it was probably this pair

I saw a similar TV program where some people took a Canal boat across the Channel, er Saving Lives at Sea.

They have two layers of bricks or slabs in the bottom, they are well ballasted .

They might be, but we're talking about a trip out in to the Atlantic!
1624537761150.png

muscat_diver

War Hero
Mentioned the boat in Oman before. Loved it for a while but was also quite relieved when it came tme to part company,

View attachment 583802
I was in Oman 2007 - 2010. i bought a RHIB from PDO with knackered tubes and brought a new set of tubes in from UK (FOC) together with some engine parts. Sadly had to sell the RHIB to pay my children's schooling. I regretted selling it but needs must.
I then bought ex-PDO Dive Boat 'Amirat al Farasha' (Princess of the Butterflies) which had a split chine due to overloading. I cut the deck out completely and refurbished in 2009 and have it with me in Dubai still. All 3 of my children learned to camp (Bandar Kharan), water ski, wakeboard and scuba dive on that old boat which was ideal for Middle East waters. 28' with two v4, 105Hp Johnson commercial engines which have never missed a beat. Sadly Dubai has stopped allowing 2 strokes to be registered so boat will have to move to one of the other Emirates or back to Muscat (or Mussandam). Happy memories.
10830866_10153077743949839_2668359561557540622_o.jpg
15578222_10154855947534839_3541958683522566183_o.jpg
1495131_10153939573244839_2626135352520150172_o.jpg
12697353_10153939574309839_7411076042378160573_o.jpg
12698247_10153939573304839_7823442664993329827_o.jpg
IMG_2058.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg
RHIB Muscat.JPG
2014-7-5 1.jpg
2014-7-5 3.jpg
2014-7-5 5.jpg

Walter_Ego

Old-Salt
Ahoy there ! I hope this is the right place ?
I've half a mind to buy an inflatable boat , and have noticed that decent makes of outboards in the 6hp range are being quoted as pre-order only , in some cases for delivery September/October
I can find Chinese clones for immediate delivery but having been burned on a trail bike in the past I'm not going up that path again

Is there a reason why Suzuki / Honda / Tohatsu ( ?? ) are in short supply ?

Ahoy there ! I hope this is the right place ?
I've half a mind to buy an inflatable boat , and have noticed that decent makes of outboards in the 6hp range are being quoted as pre-order only , in some cases for delivery September/October
I can find Chinese clones for immediate delivery but having been burned on a trail bike in the past I'm not going up that path again

Is there a reason why Suzuki / Honda / Tohatsu ( ?? ) are in short supply ?

Have a word with Snowy.......

Zulu_w

War Hero
I was in Oman 2007 - 2010. i bought a RHIB from PDO with knackered tubes and brought a new set of tubes in from UK (FOC) together with some engine parts. Sadly had to sell the RHIB to pay my children's schooling. I regretted selling it but needs must.
I then bought ex-PDO Dive Boat 'Amirat al Farasha' (Princess of the Butterflies) which had a split chine due to overloading. I cut the deck out completely and refurbished in 2009 and have it with me in Dubai still. All 3 of my children learned to camp (Bandar Kharan), water ski, wakeboard and scuba dive on that old boat which was ideal for Middle East waters. 28' with two v4, 105Hp Johnson commercial engines which have never missed a beat. Sadly Dubai has stopped allowing 2 strokes to be registered so boat will have to move to one of the other Emirates or back to Muscat (or Mussandam). Happy memories.

Been here since 2004. Was only here about two weeks when I was offered a half share in the boat. My wife hadn't joined me yet so I rang and said how nice it would be. She, thinking I was talking in general terms played along as wives do. Imagine how happy she was a couple of days later when I rang again to inform her of our new purchase. Household furniture, crockery etc all came later. Priorities.

Had a good few years fishing and camping using the boat but once we both took up diving we used it less and less and I seemed to be doing all the maintenance whilst other buggers got the use. It was a happy day when it was finally sold.

Still get out with friends and pay my way nowadays in beer and boerwors.

muscat_diver

War Hero
Been here since 2004. Was only here about two weeks when I was offered a half share in the boat. My wife hadn't joined me yet so I rang and said how nice it would be. She, thinking I was talking in general terms played along as wives do. Imagine how happy she was a couple of days later when I rang again to inform her of our new purchase. Household furniture, crockery etc all came later. Priorities.

Had a good few years fishing and camping using the boat but once we both took up diving we used it less and less and I seemed to be doing all the maintenance whilst other buggers got the use. It was a happy day when it was finally sold.

Still get out with friends and pay my way nowadays in beer and boerwors.
ZW was it you that posted some pics of a braai grill made locally in Muscat? If so please can you repost as i would like to get one made and sent to DXB (unless border opens in next 3 months. I may have to de-register my boat in Dubai and send down to register in Muscat to sell there.

Zulu_w

War Hero
ZW was it you that posted some pics of a braai grill made locally in Muscat? If so please can you repost as i would like to get one made and sent to DXB (unless border opens in next 3 months. I may have to de-register my boat in Dubai and send down to register in Muscat to sell there.
Yes it was. Got it made by a local contractor who does work for the organisation I work for.

Easily organised if you want one. They have done skottels and a tripod braai for me

1626634395160.jpeg
20201224_194947.jpg

muscat_diver

War Hero
Learned colleagues. I have 2 x 105HP Johnson Commercials with good compression on a 26-28' boat of narrow beam (pictured above). I need to swap for 4 stroke to re-register the boat as 2 stroke banned in UAE. Grateful for advice on what sort of HP I should look for in a second hand single. Rule of thumb I hear is 25% power loss with twins so 150-175? Grateful for thoughts. Currently propped for ski/wakeboard. Fir those that know I shall be headed to try and strike a deal at Jadaf Port which I am sure will be interesting.

bentobox

Old-Salt
Learned colleagues. I have 2 x 105HP Johnson Commercials with good compression on a 26-28' boat of narrow beam (pictured above). I need to swap for 4 stroke to re-register the boat as 2 stroke banned in UAE. Grateful for advice on what sort of HP I should look for in a second hand single. Rule of thumb I hear is 25% power loss with twins so 150-175? Grateful for thoughts. Currently propped for ski/wakeboard. Fir those that know I shall be headed to try and strike a deal at Jadaf Port which I am sure will be interesting.
This should do the trick....

muscat_diver

War Hero
Yes it was. Got it made by a local contractor who does work for the organisation I work for.

Easily organised if you want one. They have done skottels and a tripod braai for me

View attachment 589828View attachment 589829
Excellent design. Couple of quick questions before I take offline. Is skottel on same trivet so could be used for evening/breakfast? Is tripod design height adjustable i.e. do 3 chains meet to central chain to allow movement vertically?
Currently in "Wild Duck Bar" in Aksai waiting trip in to Karachaganal (KPO) Field tomorrow.

Zulu_w

War Hero
Two separate bits of kit.

Skottel has screw on legs and handle. By some miracle of science
/magic the handle never gets hot so you can just lift it off the fire with no burns.

The tripod has a pulley at the top and a single central chain allows the whole to be raised or lowered. The three connector chains have snap catches which allows you to change over the grill if required. Legs are also on hinges so that they can fold in for easy stowage. Quite chunky compared with shop bought ut very robust.

On the boat front we swapped out a Yamaha 225Hp 2 stroke for a Yamaha 150Hp 4 stroke. Had to strengthen the transom and change out the wring loom but the difference in torque, top end performance and fuelk economy was outstanding. Also had to keep checking the new one was on at low speeds as we could hardly hear it. Always go for Yamaha here as it has the best support as all the fishermen have them.

'It's a lovely day: let's take the boat down the river. Apparently, there's a school of porpoise just off St Anne's Head.'

trans: The Handbrake wants to spend an afternoon out on the boat. Man Cub and Teacher Daughter vigorously agree.

Bastards.

Hose 2.jpg

Hose 1.jpg

This is the return hose for the raw water cooling system that feeds into the heat exchanger.

Port engine temp gauge rockets up many degrees in a few minutes.

A subdued return to the mooring, lift the engine room decks and lo! we have a new, inboard, hot tub.

yay.

'It's a lovely day: let's take the boat down the river. Apparently, there's a school of porpoise just off St Anne's Head.'

trans: The Handbrake wants to spend an afternoon out on the boat. Man Cub and Teacher Daughter vigorously agree.

Bastards.

View attachment 591254

View attachment 591253

This is the return hose for the raw water cooling system that feeds into the heat exchanger.

Port engine temp gauge rockets up many degrees in a few minutes.

A subdued return to the mooring, lift the engine room decks and lo! we have a new, inboard, hot tub.

yay.
Think yourself lucky. I'm having to fix up a couple of auxiliary tanks, with quality diesel, to prevent pax from dying of asphyxiation from the smoke. Cleaning out the proper tanks isn't a job for this time of year. So much wasted time over the winter... Also, I need retraining. Last week we took a quick trip to fish. Seawater cocks are 'up' for open, or 'down'; hmmm (they're opened using a long attached rod from near the tops of the engines; you have to get on your knees down there to see them)? Took about ten minutes for dials to swing over to Pan Pan levels, and some shouting. Caught a mackerel, though, and saw some dolphins.

Should be fully functional by next week, when the good weather's gone.

Update: The sweat and discomfy contortions of the past month have resulted in creative measures (seeing, let alone manipulating the fuel filters of a TAMD31 which is squeezed between a fuel tank and the engine and all the pipes an' stuff is painful and annoying). However, all is now fully functional, after I realised that the silly little manual pump twiddly thing which Volvo put between the fuel filter and the pump is worth sod-all in any real terms at all. I shovelled a hand pump (vacuum side) into the hole in the thingummy and pumped away until there was squirting fluid rather than air evident. Then to the injectors; pump, pump, squirt. Ignition key, brumbrum. That's priming; learning all the bloody time.

Volvo Pentas seriously piss me off at times; they can be beautifully, sweetly resonant and stable, and then they can be great heavy lumps of rhino-turd which need burning on a pyre. Must be the sea air.

edit: oh, and I'm using super-cetane diesel for a while to counter the effects of diesel-bug. Money; who needs it?

Latest Threads