Buying a boat , fantasy or reality?............

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
[/QUOTE]
Not enough lateral thinking? Great potential answer to the rough sleeping problem. The smaller boats are ideal for sleeping pods, the mid size make comfortable ready built homes, just connect up to water, power and waste.
Not a new idea, easily transported to a brown field site, eclectic, even eccentric, but how many have 'lived up a ladder' in a boat yard of a foreign land, in comfort?

They are already built, it's the 'green' solution, there can be no argument - Saint Greta of the sacred Genacker approves of sailing boats. Sorry but the 'stink pot' crowd will have to find their own sponsors.

Not enough lateral thinking? Great potential answer to the rough sleeping problem. The smaller boats are ideal for sleeping pods, the mid size make comfortable ready built homes, just connect up to water, power and waste.
Not a new idea, easily transported to a brown field site, eclectic, even eccentric, but how many have 'lived up a ladder' in a boat yard of a foreign land, in comfort?

They are already built, it's the 'green' solution, there can be no argument - Saint Greta of the sacred Genacker approves of sailing boats. Sorry but the 'stink pot' crowd will have to find their own sponsors.
[/QUOTE]

Easier to use a 20 foot ISO? Better shape, much easier to transport.

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt

[/QUOTE]
Can't argue with that, but two hiccups, lots of uses for surplus containers, but not so many apparently for end of life GRP boats which are hard to re-purpose and impossible to recycle, allegedly. The other hiccup, containers make lousy boats!

Well, the boat I bought seven months ago is no longer "enough" boat. It was a compomise for the family, but feck them, they never come offshore fishing anyway.

So, I should have the new one in about three months. Giddy up.

Possibly an unusual point to be made; my boat is American-built, and although the engines are Pentas, almost all of the rest of it is strictly Pulaski, Wisconsin.
They're very popular in the Great Lakes, and from what I gather, down the East Coast of the US. Compared to European boats of the same size, they're astonishingly cheap over there - but solidly, well-built, and in mine, almost all of the interior dates from 1988, and very nicely too.

When one joins a Community of owners, one must also join the online associated forums, in order to discover the traps and tricks to be found in the bloody things - for there are many. In my previous 'motor-sailer' guise, much information was to be gleaned from others in the Fisher Owners Assoc site on the use of sails, the cherishing of the little Volvo piki-piki, the varnishing of teak and the ruthless beating of galley-servants, but now most of the talk is of 'ice-making machines', coffee brewers and tales of people living aboard who actually 'shrink-wrap' their boats for the winter. It's the difference between Gaul and Rome.

Nobody seems particularly worried that their set of vast petrol V-8 engines are spluttering; the advice is 'get it checked by the boatyard engineer', or on the hydraulics: ' your boatyard hydraulics man should be able to sort that out'.

I almost miss my Fisher. We worried about pennies, and grease on the teak.

Can't argue with that, but two hiccups, lots of uses for surplus containers, but not so many apparently for end of life GRP boats which are hard to re-purpose and impossible to recycle, allegedly. The other hiccup, containers make lousy boats!
[/QUOTE]

images (2).jpeg

Published by: Ships for Sale, on 25 AUGUST 2020.

Mariann av Donsö

Mariann af Donsö was built for one of Sweden's larger shipping companies as a representation ship and nothing has been spared in terms of quality and maintenance.

Midships and in the bow there are 4 cabins with a total of 10 beds. All cabins have toilet and shower. In the stern a spacious lounge with both sofa groups and space for dinner.

Despite her 15 years, her condition is as new, which is largely due to the hull being hot-dip galvanized during construction. She was dry docked in the spring of 2020, new antifouling was applied.

Feel free to walk through the ship in our VR tour function, look at pictures and documents on www.shipsforsale.com!

PRICE: EUR 1.100.000

1598363056616.png

1598363114291.png

005518d2-eb1c-4816-8421-79b1027d1967.jpg

d13a768e-f516-4eda-b185-84e0684b59d7.jpg

Mariann av Donsö

Mariann af Donsö was built for one of Sweden's larger shipping companies as a representation ship and nothing has been spared in terms of quality and maintenance.

Midships and in the bow there are 4 cabins with a total of 10 beds. All cabins have toilet and shower. In the stern a spacious lounge with both sofa groups and space for dinner.

Despite her 15 years, her condition is as new, which is largely due to the hull being hot-dip galvanized during construction. She was dry docked in the spring of 2020, new antifouling was applied.

Feel free to walk through the ship in our VR tour function, look at pictures and documents on www.shipsforsale.com!

View attachment 499658

View attachment 499659

View attachment 499660

View attachment 499661

I hope that furniture’s bolted down. I wouldn’t fancy a chesterfield in the swede in the middle of a Force 10...

Very rarely do we get vast gin palaces such as this thing on the right in our little harbour, and their owners get taken to the cleaners by the marina when they hang around.
IMGP0058.jpg

Son (who is far better at manoeuvring with the array of control levers than me) decided to show his disrespect for it by hitting it yesterday (just a nudge between swimming platforms, a 'wind' issue) and a wee Scotsman leaned over their stern and muttered something about insurance.

See what happens when the Master Mariner allows the Third Mate to command? He could have sunk it, and where would my no-claims bonus be? Not that I have one, mind, after Storm Brendan.

Very rarely do we get vast gin palaces such as this thing on the right in our little harbour, and their owners get taken to the cleaners by the marina when they hang around.
View attachment 505131
Son (who is far better at manoeuvring with the array of control levers than me) decided to show his disrespect for it by hitting it yesterday (just a nudge between swimming platforms, a 'wind' issue) and a wee Scotsman leaned over their stern and muttered something about insurance.

See what happens when the Master Mariner allows the Third Mate to command? He could have sunk it, and where would my no-claims bonus be? Not that I have one, mind.
Oh, goody! yet another well-refreshed and uninsured Master Mariner attempting a ferry glide with a bit of 'Left hand down a bit . . . '

Mariann av Donsö

View attachment 499658

View attachment 499659

View attachment 499660

View attachment 499661

I`ll take it .

Anybody have a view on radar systems. Garmin or Lowrance?
I’m currently window shopping myself (SWIDT?)

New 4G systems seem to be the way to go: low power consumption and integration with AIS and chart plotter via NMEA 2000.

From what I see on various fora, it might be worth going with the same brand as your other kit, just to be sure that integration really, er, integrates...

Anybody have a view on radar systems. Garmin or Lowrance?
I’m currently window shopping myself (SWIDT?)

New 4G systems seem to be the way to go: low power consumption and integration with AIS and chart plotter via NMEA 2000.

From what I see on various fora, it might be worth going with the same brand as your other kit, just to be sure that integration really, er, integrates...
Pretty much what Bob said: whilst the box will convince you that everything is compatible, bear in mind that Garmin will wish for you to upgrade/bolt on with Garmin units, Lowrance the same, Raymarine the same etc.

Whichever one you plump for, make sure that you take some instruction on the unit so that you interpret and understand what it's telling you.

. . . oh, and use it in daylight for at least the first 3 trips.

Radar: solid state, integrable with your chartplotter is the way to go. Expensive, though. My last unit was a creaky old thing which made a noise like a dying crow on my mast, coupled to a big CRT on the dash; had to be endlessly tuned to get the best out of it, but it saved my bacon on one foggy occasion. These people have a good choice; I got my DSC radio from them at a very good price.

Radar: solid state, integrable with your chartplotter is the way to go. Expensive, though. My last unit was a creaky old thing which made a noise like a dying crow on my mast, coupled to a big CRT on the dash; had to be endlessly tuned to get the best out of it, but it saved my bacon on one foggy occasion. These people have a good choice; I got my DSC radio from them at a very good price.
Horses for courses I guess, chap: I finally sacked my old Raymarine raster radar.

Almost impossible to upgrade, the spares were like rocking horse eggs and the pricing reflected this.

The screen had burnt and, toward the end, it was almost impossible to decipher.

. . . and, as you say, the noise from the arm far exceeded the requirement for a fog signal.

Stick to navigating canals, there are only two course options , go forward or go back from where you came and any complex navigational issues can be solved by shouting across to someone on the towpath walking their dog.

Such emergency navigational issues are..

1. Where's the nearest chippy ?
2. Is that a Whippet ?
3. Looks like rain don't it ?
4. Move your fcuking fishing rod out of the way then its a canal not a fish pond , fcuk you an all mate !

O Zangado

War Hero
Friends of ours, an otherwise very pleasant couple, bought a fibreglass gin palace a few years back, but never once got beyond the harbour wall. Rumour has it he repeatedly failed the exam for whatever licence was required to go outside. They used it at weekends for sundowners, canapés and the like with their new friends of a similar nautical bent until he found out that all his landlubber mates back in the village had nicknamed him, this being Portugal, "Henry the Navigator" on account of his maritime prowess. Not long afterwards the boat was sold and they bought an apartment overlooking the marina instead.

OZ

Latest Threads