Buying a boat , fantasy or reality?............

Theres a small part of me that thinks that. But I have more than enough projects to keep me going 10 at the last count) and beside, if I had it I would probably want to keep it and then the cash would just drain away.

The Seaplane Tender could have been mine for less than a grand.

My problem is that in my line of work I can buy stuff really well ( see my 10 projects for details) but my luck is such that I am sh1t at selling them as the arrse generally drops out of the market at the very moment the ad goes live.
Can you recommend a good unit for cutting a cricket outfield, we've got an older ford mini tractor with dragged gang mowers. Mowers pretty past sell by date tractor similar.
We know posters love a thread drift.. ..

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
One example

Not exactly " most"

In fact most marine engines, especially those operating in seawater, use a heat exchanger.

You will just have to take my word for that.
Why should I take your word for it.....I've had sea going yachts with inboard engines (Volvo/a new 2006 Yanmar) all have been been cooled with raw seawater. Before starting turn on the seacock, then make certain water is being pumped out with the engine running. OK, so the water comes out of the exhaust, but it's the sight of it circulating either direct or cooling a heat exchanger that is important.

On my last one (2003T) the water discharge was mostly hidden beneath a great deal of healthy white and blue smoke. I felt safe.

Truxx

LE
Can you recommend a good unit for cutting a cricket outfield, we've got an older ford mini tractor with dragged gang mowers. Mowers pretty past sell by date tractor similar.
We know posters love a thread drift.. ..
Sheep. Or better yet shearlings for fattening. Cheaper than tractors and mowers and you can eat them after

Truxx

LE
Why should I take your word for it.....I've had sea going yachts with inboard engines (Volvo/a new 2006 Yanmar) all have been been cooled with raw seawater. Before starting turn on the seacock, then make certain water is being pumped out with the engine running. OK, so the water comes out of the exhaust, but it's the sight of it circulating either direct or cooling a heat exchanger that is important.
Actually you are right - don't bother taking my word for it. Take someone else's instead:

This bit in particular

"Today almost all new marine engines use the closed cooling system design."

abemnik

Swinger
You do realise BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand, have worked on boats most of my life apart from the few years I enlisted, have also owned and the above is a spot on description

You do realise BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand, have worked on boats most of my life apart from the few years I enlisted, have also owned and the above is a spot on description
I was only able to knock off a grand from the asking price today (hard to do in the face of the fact that the vendor is one of the most respected surveyors in Ireland, and has been his personal delight for the past fifteen years). Still, his inital asking price was ten above that, so I feel that it's a satisfactory outcome.

Mine now; Ha! I shall Dominate the Marina and its grovelling, lowly populace of Jeanneau and Beneteau plankton. No-one will dare to giggle at my docking procedures! It shall be a Thousand-Year Reich Rule! Take a Knee, Now!
Clipboard01.jpg

Edit: Next step; recruitment of hookers, purchase of booze, cocaine, and T-bone slabs and here we go. Retirement is a Good Thing.

Last edited:
I was only able to knock off a grand from the asking price today (hard to do in the face of the fact that the vendor is one of the most respected surveyors in Ireland, and has been his personal delight for the past fifteen years). Still, his inital asking price was ten above that, so I feel that it's a satisfactory outcome.

Mine now; Ha! I shall Dominate the Marina and its grovelling, lowly populace of Jeanneau and Beneteau plankton. No-one will dare to giggle at my docking procedures! It shall be a Thousand-Year Reich Rule! Take a Knee, Now!
View attachment 487905

Edit: Next step; recruitment of hookers, purchase of booze, cocaine, and T-bone slabs and here we go. Retirement is a Good Thing.
The masts appear to be missing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt

View attachment 487905

Long keel with encapsulated ballast?
Actually rather good looking -

for the dark side

abemnik

Swinger

View attachment 487905

I will stick with Irish thoroughbred Redbay Stormforce 1250 with twin 6.7l 550hp Iveco Diesels, lovely little boat to skipper, will quite happily move at 36 knots, but for some reason the fuel gauge drops fast, even at my cruising speed of 25knots, she will drink the juice at 1000l for a 150 mile round journey out to St Kilda from Skye
969B67FC-8798-4779-8B4E-ADC14D21E724.jpeg

Long keel with encapsulated ballast?
Actually rather good looking -

for the dark side
Are you some sort of engineer, or something? I can't decypher words of more than two syllables after 1800hrs on a Tuesday. No idea, anyway.

This is why you need masts: you can then hang out the bedding on them to dry out after a wash.

I’m currently bidding on this one...
Bah. Ropes and things. Had enough of them. Wind is over-rated, and makes me fart like a warthog, too. The main objection, though, is the learning curve, which starts at about age 10 and is only at Stage 2 by your 60s. With a near-nucular engine, it starts at about 0900hrs and ...

Big, solid chunks of iron in your stern, that's what's needed, with grease, oil, diesel and urgency. And a strong Son to take the blame. It's the natural way of things.

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Are you some sort of engineer, or something? I can't decypher words of more than two syllables after 1800hrs on a Tuesday. No idea, anyway.

Bah. Ropes and things. Had enough of them. Wind is over-rated, and makes me fart like a warthog, too. The main objection, though, is the learning curve, which starts at about age 10 and is only at Stage 2 by your 60s. With a near-nucular engine, it starts at about 0900hrs and ...

Big, solid chunks of iron in your stern, that's what's needed, with grease, oil, diesel and urgency. And a strong Son to take the blame. It's the natural way of things.
I confess, there have been scurrilous rumours about the engineery bit. I'm at the intermediate stage, cruising yacht to now Motor Sailer and at some point, probably to power. Still debating what suits the waters and ageing frame.
But can't gel with the uber modern design of cruiser, whereas the trawler type has something about it that looks seaworthy.

I'm at the intermediate stage, cruising yacht to now Motor Sailer and at some point, probably to power. Still debating what suits the waters and ageing frame.
Ah. Young lad, then. 'Learner'. You stick with my advice and you'll be fine. Ston' on me, kid; I'll see ye right.

But what you need is a Fisher; long keel and 2 tons of iron in it. Big fat engine to keep you from going outside to play with ropes ("sheets" - see, learning already) Deep, though, so stay away from rocks. I could have sold you one last week, but a chap came up from Howth and ripped it from my hands at a truly knockdown price.

Abuse, insult and invective is unacceptable on this board and is not supported in any way by the Management. Patronising guff is the responsibility of the makers of Chardonnay Fine Wines Ltd.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Actually you are right - don't bother taking my word for it. Take someone else's instead:

This bit in particular

"Today almost all new marine engines use the closed cooling system design."
The OP mentions a 30' motor sailer, and didn't say 'new'.
I have already posted previously that I had stripped down a Volvo MD11 which had been cooled with raw seawater, and the water chamber around the removable piston liners was clogged solid.
I suppose if I now mentioned this same motor sailer had osmosis, your reply might be 'new boats don't have osmosis?

Last edited:

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Ah. Young lad, then. 'Learner'. You stick with my advice and you'll be fine. Ston' on me, kid; I'll see ye right.

But what you need is a Fisher; long keel and 2 tons of iron in it. Big fat engine to keep you from going outside to play with ropes ("sheets" - see, learning already) Deep, though, so stay away from rocks. I could have sold you one last week, but a chap came up from Howth and ripped it from my hands at a truly knockdown price.

Abuse, insult and invective is unacceptable on this board and is not supported in any way by the Management. Patronising guff is the responsibility of the makers of Chardonnay Fine Wines Ltd.
'Young' lad - I'll take that.
Long keel - check
Many tons of iron in it - check
38hp Beta engine - check
Wheel in cockpit - check
Internal steering/nav station for Scottish waters - check.

Lots in common with Fishers.

RIMG1024.JPG

'Abuse, insult and invective is unacceptable on this board and is not supported in any way by the Management. Patronising guff is the responsibility of the makers of Chardonnay Fine Wines Ltd.'

Fair do's but a certain level of abuse from raggys to stink pots is traditional, if only to celebrate mark a committed move to the dark side.

Latest Threads