Buying a boat , fantasy or reality?............

clanky

War Hero
It's well worth having your pre filter fitted somewhere you can access it in the dark. The Racnor ones with the glass or acrylic bowls are good. I have heard a rumour that the ones with the bowls might be banned for fire safety reasons.

looks like a Choy Lee Clipper or ketch

You could do no worse than drop a line to these people:

. . . and at least some one has had the good grace to make a bow thruster tunnel :cool:

muscat_diver

Old-Salt
You could do no worse than drop a line to these people:

. . . and at least some one has had the good grace to make a bow thruster tunnel :cool:
Thank you OS and 4ZC, I shall find out more. I shall cycle that way again tomorrow and see if I can get a little closer. Cheers

No, its bigger than a 36. 48 or upwards or even one of their motor sailers.

Fisher25 'Hornbill II' sold. Sad, but reasonably profitable.
2.jpg

Negotiating for a Carver flybridge now. More room, more power, no damned running or standing rigging, no teak to husband, and mostly - more speed, and the Scottish Islands within reach. Plus American views on comfort, which are almost absent on Fisher25s. Astonishingly affordable, given the size and superb engines. A little bit of work to be done on the one I've seen, but almost all cosmetic, and with some instrumentational expertise will be a goer.

Looking forward to some proper boaty business.
Clipboard01.jpg

That 'toys' budget has to be spent. Give me no grief on 'Army pensions are for the wife's benefit' or 'white privilege'. I fecken earned it, and I'll fish from it.
(Photo posed by models. The wife's Presbyterian and doesn't wear a bikini).

Truxx

LE
I am quite pleased with myself. In the space of a week I have turned down bargain basement offers on both a Fairey Huntsman and a British Powerboat Company WW2 vintage Seaplane Tender......

The Huntsman was quite local too, and offered to me at a fraction of the price it would fetch post Covid. The Seaplane tender was in Canvey Island so not quite so accessible.

I s'pose you could have the fuel drained out, polished*, and then put it back after the tank(s) have been cleaned?
I used to get a months leave when the boss went on holiday and the quandary was always whether to fill the tanks in the aircraft to reduce the amount of condensation and water that would then accumulate...or the weight on tires that would not turn for a month.

Our other concerns were Cladosporium resinae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa which live in Jet A1 that could develop in the water in the fuel depending of how well treated the last fuel into the tanks had been. My luck we flew to an isolated little used airport up n the Iraqi border on our last day and filled up there for the flight back to Jeddah. Topped off with well treated fuel due high turnover, there before going on leave.

Arrived back to find multiple fuel leaks. Turned out the last but one fuel stop we had fuelled from a bowser that had been sitting for months and had developed bugs, some obviously remained from the return flight and these despite the use of anti-microbiological Prist and Biobor had then in our one month away had multiplied and attacked our fuel tanks linings/seals causing the leaks. Subsequent flushing and re-sealing very costly.

Last edited:

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
A 30ft motor sailer, is that with a single engine? Water cooled marine engines are expensive to repair, the water is flushed through and cooling channels around the pistons can become clogged over time. Make like an expert when you buy, and find every fault with the engine. Biggest running cost will of course be the mooring cost.

Hmm.

A 30ft motor sailer, is that with a single engine? Water cooled marine engines are expensive to repair, the water is flushed through and cooling channels around the pistons can become clogged over time. Make like an expert when you buy, and find every fault with the engine.
. . . which is why you don't let them get to the stage whereby large amounts of cash change hands.

The bulk of the larger marine diesels are marinised truck engines - indeed, my own Volvo TAMD73's are from that stable. Both now have slightly over 2000 hours on them and are 21 years old. In the grand scheme of things, they're not even run in.

Regular maintenance and not over-servicing them will probably see them last me out.

Biggest running cost will of course be the mooring cost.
Nope.

It's fuel.

Berthing costs vary wildly in UK, depending on where you keep the beast.

Fuel costs, however, have you by the balls wherever you are.

@Whiskybreath - good man, yerself!

. . . and what lumps have you got lurking deep in her cavernous bowels?*

*I'm asking what are the make and power of the engines is all. Nothing else to see, here.
You dirty, dirty man.

Penta TAMD31s at 135hp. Low hours (800) and looked after by a very credible engineer-type since installation. Mmmmm.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
A 30ft motor sailer, is that with a single engine? Water cooled marine engines are expensive to repair, the water is flushed through and cooling channels around the pistons can become clogged over time. Make like an expert when you buy, and find every fault with the engine. Biggest running cost will of course be the mooring cost.
Depends if it is raw water cooled or a heat exchanger set up.

Truxx

LE
God, but I love it when you talk durty . . .
You dirty, dirty man.

Penta TAMD31s at 135hp. Low hours (800) and looked after by a very credible engineer-type since installation. Mmmmm.
Son and I did a load of work a number of years ago on a brace of those. Earlier someone mentioned prices of anything Volvo marine. It was£1400 cheaper to get on a ferry, drive to Germany, buy all the bits in Germany and drive back than it was to buy the spares in uk.

Apart from the starter motors. Which we did for about £15 each side using off the shelf solenoid assemblies from a local motor factor ( same part number)

Son and I did a load of work a number of years ago on a brace of those. Earlier someone mentioned prices of anything Volvo marine. It was£1400 cheaper to get on a ferry, drive to Germany, buy all the bits in Germany and drive back than it was to buy the spares in uk.

Apart from the starter motors. Which we did for about £15 each side using off the shelf solenoid assemblies from a local motor factor ( same part number)
. . . hence the reason why I usually get anything complicated from the nearest Volvo motor factor.

Stick 'marine' in front of anything and treble the price. :rolleyes:

Latest Threads