Buying a boat , fantasy or reality?............

I have a vaguely similar issue, but with the Volvo throttle, which has occasionally been a bit sticky during the last season; I may have also been guilty of some over-vigorous forward-to-reversing at times, but I reject any use of the word 'panic'. Luckily, Youtube is stuffed with videos of people who have experienced similar problems, and so in a week or so I'll be heading to the yard with an aircompressor (Lidl has some astonishing gear mixed in with their FMCG ).

I am presently smarting from the cost of Starbrite teak sealer, but more so from the proposed cost of delivery from England (free if you live in GB, but about £20 to cross the Irish sea). Just finished sanding and varnishing most of the wood in the wheelhouse, and moving on to sorting out some of the instruments; unfortunately I have to bring in an expert in these, so cheerio to much of my state pension; the dog eats too much anyway.

If it was for aviation, you would be forced to replace it because nobody with the necessary licence would sign off your repair.

Of course, if your aircraft was of the class that didn't need certified parts, it would only be £500 because the certificate is worth at least a grand.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

So that's what the thing I found under the mounting in the wheelhouse is... a 'trim sender'. I've never used the autohelm on Hornbill (even after trying to calibrate it, it took me in large circles, and I blamed a bad compass connection) so perhaps this is part of the system. Investigation needed.

Incidentally, it looks exactly like this:
Clipboard01.jpg

...and it costs £240 from some suppliers, and £36 from others.

So that's what the thing I found under the mounting in the wheelhouse is... a 'trim sender'. I've never used the autohelm on Hornbill (even after trying to calibrate it, it took me in large circles, and I blamed a bad compass connection) so perhaps this is part of the system. Investigation needed.

Incidentally, it looks exactly like this:
View attachment 379547
...and it costs £240 from some suppliers, and £36 from others.
2 words-fluxgate compass.

Do you have one?

A deficiency of same may go some way in explaining your boat's desire to run a U-Boat search pattern.

~Tales Of A Bitching Leisure Boat Owner~

~Part The Twenty Third~

Oft times, myself and @Whiskybreath have bemoaned our lot with regard to the cost of 'stuff' as soon as you put 'Marine' in front of the item. This is a short tale of one such bit of 'stuff'.

Here is the beast:

View attachment 379524

The sender unit for a rudder position indicator. A fairly inoffensive little thing, it sits happily up the stern end of the boat and gets on with . . . well . . . doing not much, tbh. The upright arm is connected to a horizontal arm by means of a small ball and socket arrangement and the horizontal arm is, in turn, connected by a similar ball and socket arrangement to an arm from one of the rudders-thus, the whole thing mirrors the movement of the rudders and sends that information by an electrical pulse to a digital/analogue read out up to the helm positions.

Here's the thing disassembled:

View attachment 379527

It's low tech stuff (my boat is 21 years old and I suspect that this is the original unit): simply, it is an alloy case with a potentiometer and a mechanical arm.

Only it's stopped indicating the rudder position.

Which, as I said, is no real drama: indeed, there is a secondary digital unit at both helm stations which is fine and dandy.

However, this is a niggly thing and needs to be fettled.

Thus it has been dismounted and placed before Hairy Dave, the tame electrician, so that he may work many wriggly amp wonders on it's form.

As a Plan B, he and I had a browse at some trade sites to price up a replacement if life cannot be breathed back into this little box of magic.

£335.

ex-VAT.

W the very F?

Woman was not amused when I pointed out that she can function reasonably well with only one kidney . . .

I'd have thought you could replace the potentiometer easily enough in this day and age if that is the problem.

. . . that is possibly Plan C, if one of the correct resistance can be found. And 12 amps.
No problem at all. Maplins will have them, just run into your local store :)

BTW, 12A is fcuking ridiculous for an instrumentation signal. P=IV=144W. Is the display heat operated? :)

I'd have thought you could replace the potentiometer easily enough in this day and age if that is the problem.
No problem at all. Maplins will have them, just run into your local store :)

BTW, 12A is fcuking ridiculous for an instrumentation signal. P=IV=144W. Is the display heat operated? :)
As I've said, all avenues are being considered-as long as it doesn't have 'Marine' in the title.

Robbery without violence, so it is . . .

As I've said, all avenues are being considered-as long as it doesn't have 'Marine' in the title.

Robbery without violence, so it is . . .
Just a thought - what is the symptom of the failure? No reading at all? Wonky reading? It might be just* a broken wire, and the pot is OK.

*Yes, I appreciate that tracing a broken wire through a boat hull is a lot harder than changing a pot :)

Just a thought - what is the symptom of the failure? No reading at all? Wonky reading? It might be just* a broken wire, and the pot is OK.

*Yes, I appreciate that tracing a broken wire through a boat hull is a lot harder than changing a pot :)
Chasing a cable run in a 43' boat? Have you lost what little reason you had?!

Chasing a cable run in a 43' boat? Have you lost what little reason you had?!
Well if the pot turns out to be OK, and it still doesn't work, You're either fixing the wire, running a new one (also in a 43' boat) or going without :)

2 words-fluxgate compass.

Do you have one?

A deficiency of same may go some way in explaining your boat's desire to run a U-Boat search pattern.
A 'fluxgate-compass'? Blimey, guv. I've got two compasses; one on the ceiling directly in front of the wheel, and one here:
4.jpg

...which has a sensor outside:
IMGP1785.jpg

Red arrow shows the non-functioning turn-switch which presumably has something to do with compass-autohelm function. I'm not too concerned about it as I use a full digital display with Navionics on it, but it's nice to have a couple of backups (as with radios; one is a proper DSC chap and the other is an old 'Sailor' of the type seen in fishing boats everywhere). The whole array of dials and switches is presently out of the boat while I try to put some order into the spaghetti back there.

(Edit: all old photos from purchase-time. Doesn't look so manky now).