Buying a boat , fantasy or reality?............

A tale for the unwary:

This craft pitched up recently as a new berther. Only here for a couple of weeks before SW Trumpton were alerted to a fire on board whilst it was tied up to the marina wall.

The received wisdom is that it's an insurance write-off (fortunately, it didn't sink): the cause is almost certainly electrical-either too much plugged in whilst the owners were away, a dodgy free-standing heater or the bane of boaters in a previously sub-skilled DIY 'expert' using gash and incorrectly rated cabling, no in-line fuses or stuff wired directly to the batteries.

Empress Sienna.jpg

Spookily, when I took this image some 10 days after the event, the CO alarm was singing like a good 'un.

Last edited:
A tale for the unwary:

This craft pitched up recently as a new berther. Only here for a couple of weeks before SW Trumpton were alerted to a fire on board whilst it was tied up to the marina wall.

The received wisdom is that it's an insurance write-off (fortunately, it didn't sink): the cause is almost certainly electrical-either too much plugged in whilst the owners were away, a dodgy free-standing heater or the bane of boaters in a previously sub-skilled DIY 'expert' using gash and incorrectly rated cabling, no in-line fuses or stuff wired directly to the batteries.

View attachment 372864

Spookily, when I took this image some 10 days after the event, the CO2 alarm was singing like a good 'un.
Carbon dioxide alarm? Seems unusual to have a plumbed in CO2 extinguisher system in a leisure boat, although a good idea.

...cause is almost certainly electrical-either too much plugged in whilst the owners were away, a dodgy free-standing heater or the bane of boaters in a previously sub-skilled DIY 'expert' using gash and incorrectly rated cabling, no in-line fuses or stuff wired directly to the batteries.
Mine's on the hard for the winter, with both batteries in my garage; some genius in the past (or many geniuses; she's been through eight owners) has wired up, torn out wiring incompletely, rewired, badly wired, wired pointlessly in weird places, labelled with water-soluble ink and caused great frustration and anger to the present owner. Worst are those alerts and alarms either independent of the master switch (Navtex, gas) or which can't be judged for competence without a multimeter in places only a dwarf can access. So much needs to be done that I feel ill and in need of medicinal cava.

Edit: I had a genuine genius (p/t lecturer on electronics at the university, for fun) install a new GPS and radio a while ago, and he spent half an hour in the engine well trying to work out what the hell was going on with the electrical connections before opining that my best long-term course was to rip the lot out and start again. Maybe next year.
In other news, the engine (Penta 2003T, 42hp) blew a hole in one of the pots and I only noticed when it started to get difficult to start (which says a a lot about the robustness of the thing). Bags of gold went to the engineers who sorted it.

Antifoul: Mine was looking very lumpy and manky, so I decided to get rid and slap a new coat on; getting rid using Owatrol Marine Strip mostly worked, but the bloody stuff is full of sodium hydroxide, which Walter White would have been better advised using when disposing of body tissue than hydrofluoric acid. I discovered its vile properties after reading the safety sheet and wearing the right clothing when it seeped through my jacket and sock and made holes in me. Using it on a windy day was not a good move.

We suffer for our pleasures.

Last edited:
. . . that my best long-term course was to rip the lot out and start again.
ahaha

ahahahaha

*pause*

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That way lies madness.

That's more like it: no point in rushing these things . . .

. . . In other news, the engine (Penta 2003T, 42hp) blew a hole in one of the pots and I only noticed when it started to get difficult to start (which says a lot about the robustness of the thing). Bags of gold went to the engineers who sorted it.

We suffer for our pleasures.
Word.

The two large, green Swedish lumps that dwell in the acrid fastness below account for a large amount of blood and treasure: as my only method of proceeding anywhere (at least you have a sail to raise so that you can approach your running aground at a more leisurely pace) I am (literally) all at sea if they both adopt flexi-time at the same time.

Thus many British Quatloos were exchanged for all the fuel injectors to be removed, refurbed and replaced.

The damned thing is now a different boat: not only tone and sound but also fuel consumption (always a Good Thing). So much so that I invited Hairy Daffyd down to check the fuel senders on both tanks as the gauges hardly moved for the last 3 months of the season.

'Nope', says he, 'Almost 3/4 fuel in both tanks. The gauges are correct'.

Whilst I moaned and wailed at the expense of the refurb, I've probably recouped that in not having to refuel for the last 5-6 months.

Anyone know what this is? I found it glued to the outside of my wheelhouse doorframe while refurbishing. Glued and painted over, obviously by the same vandal who painted all the teak a pooey brown colour. It's solid brass, not particularly well finished, with a 'ole in it. Must have had some purpose, but no idea what.
IMG_0442[7468].jpg
IMG_0443[7476].jpg

Anyone know what this is? I found it glued to the outside of my wheelhouse doorframe while refurbishing. Glued and painted over, obviously by the same vandal who painted all the teak a pooey brown colour. It's solid brass, not particularly well finished, with a 'ole in it. Must have had some purpose, but no idea what.
View attachment 378604 View attachment 378605
1. Who cares? It's brass.

2. Polish it up.

3. Put it back.

4. Admire it.

5. Take a wee nip as a just reward for your labours.

1. Who cares? It's brass.

2. Polish it up.

3. Put it back.

4. Admire it.

5. Take a wee nip as a just reward for your labours.
Bloody 'eck, you're prescient. But I shall not put it back where I found it. I shall fix it next to the wheel for visitors to ask me what it is, at which point I shall look contemptuous and wise (difficult but possible with practice), and state that it is, in fact, the ship's Tripping Stud (©@philc) and not to be touched under any circumstances while wearing gold.

Never mind the brass, did you really just say "painted the teak"? As in PAINTED TEAK? Like, paint, on teak?

Jesus H fcking Christ on a bike.

Hunt them down, crucify them on the mast and gibbet the remains on the dockside.

Never mind the brass, did you really just say "painted the teak"? As in PAINTED TEAK? Like, paint, on teak?

Jesus H fcking Christ on a bike.

Hunt them down, crucify them on the mast and gibbet the remains on the dockside.
Yup.
IMGP1425.jpg

...which swiftly became:
IMGP1444.jpg

The gibbet's waiting for the brute to return.

He probably saw it cheap in Homebase............... Ronseal Decking Paint.
See for yourself. The bugger did all of the wood (outside) with that. He also patched the door itself with the cheapest plywood available, and attempted to stop rot with a bit of spare firewood at the bottom end:
IMGP1811.jpg

All being replaced with good teak and teak ply now.

Edit: after scraping, sanding and polishing pretty well everything else last year, I was too exhausted to get started on the door, and it kept the rain out, so I left it for this year. Time's up for it, as well as some of the instrumentation and wiring.

Last edited:
See for yourself. The bugger did all of the wood (outside) with that. He also patched the door itself with the cheapest plywood available, and attempted to stop rot with a bit of spare firewood at the bottom end:
View attachment 378613
All being replaced with good teak and teak ply now.

Edit: after scraping, sanding and polishing pretty well everything else last year, I was too exhausted to get started on the door, and it kept the rain out, so I left it for this year. Time's up for it, as well as some of the instrumentation and wiring.

Such a beautiful boat, as well, she deserves a loving owner.

Bloody 'eck, you're prescient. But I shall not put it back where I found it. I shall fix it next to the wheel for visitors to ask me what it is, at which point I shall look contemptuous and wise (difficult but possible with practice), and state that it is, in fact, the ship's Tripping Stud (©@philc) and not to be touched under any circumstances while wearing gold.
It's a thole.

It's where the thole pin fits.