Buy Shares in UK

I want to buy some shares in a UK Plc so how do I go about it?
Any good online traders to look at or buy through?

Only looking at an initial purchase of £100 worth of shares to start with.
And then see how they perform over the coming months.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I use a Halifax sharebuilder account.

Get an ISA share account. If you're under 40 and saving for long term (either house purchase or retirement), then look at a lifetime ISA where the government will match 25% of your deposits (up until a maximum of 4k (so you get a free 1k) - this in a way lets you take a bit more risk (at least that's how I view it).

I have two accounts - a Halifax Share trading account wrapped up in an ISA, and then a HL Lifetime ISA.

And personally I've done ok by investing in individual companies (look at Beyond Meats bitcoin like entry into the market) - but this takes lots of research time which not everyone has luxury of, so perhaps look at investing in funds where someone does the hard-work for you - one which has performed reasonably well is the Alianz Technology Trust for example.

I'd also recommend looking at some of the books recommended on here - such as the intelligent investor or a random walk down wall street. Investing for Dummies is a great first read, and introduces some useful techniques - such as dividend reinvestment; cost-dollar averaging (buying some shares in the same company every month to try and mitigate the effect of market variability), with this you can also set up a regular share builder with Halifax so your trades only cost (iirc) something like 2 pounds (but you have to set the date you wish to buy in advance).

Also others may disagree, but I like to read The Motley Fool online and also the FT which may give you some ideas for research.

Good luck! :)

Edit: Also if your view is to buy in a single company and look at their performance over the coming months, I suspect by putting all your eggs in one basket, you'll become disappointed, and most certainly burned which would be as shame as generally the market performs in the long term. Hence that's why a fund is probably a better bet; although an even better investment might be to spend 100 pounds on books about investing before you start...

Last edited:
I use Interactive Investor. They have cheap trading rates.

It was TD Waterhouse but since they moved to the Netherlands it was sold.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Pointless for that amount. Commission will hammer you. Save the £100 until you have a decent amount to invest. Buying in dribbles is effectively throwing money away.

I want to buy some shares in a UK Plc so how do I go about it?
Any good online traders to look at or buy through?

If you just want to see if you've got a knack for this, as it were, maybe sign up for a fantasy share dealing account. Halifax used to have one, but I don't seem to be able to find it now - this might help bring home some of the realities of investing too :)

Latest Threads