Buttons on belt loops. Why?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don’t remember any buttons, I’ve got dementia haven’t I?
Desert 95 (issued in 2003) had belt loops with buttons, as did the earlier lightweights,OG. Theoretically, it would allow a pistol/webbing belt to be worn.

Positioned perfectly to dig into the flesh just where it was thinnest on your hip bones, leaving nasty little bruises when wearing the webbing as described in my earlier post.
Apologies for the thread drift. As a cadet we had a AI Sgt who would keep a box of matches (stuffed with bog paper to avoid the rattle, and provide tinder for starting a fire) in his pocket. When demonstrating how to get down fast when instructed to 'TAKE COVER', he landed hard on the pocket and the matchbox ignited. Cue 2nd degree burns on his hip. Oh how we laughed.

Grammar aside, why then was it done away with in CS95?
Because it was an entirely useless holdover of a bygone age?

Wait, what am I saying.?...

All this rubbish about belt loops and buttons, and the wearing of webbing, was of course irrelevant to the Army of Cold War Warriors in BAOR, as during every exercise from STARTEX to ENDEX, we wore those wonderful, yet slightly uncomfortable and charcoal encrusted Noddy Suits which had neither belt loops or buttons.

I can remember coming off one exercise in West Germany and travelling back to my location in Belgium. Despite a thoroughly hot shower with plenty of soap and shampoo, by the time I visited my then belle in Herentals that night and shagged her stupid until I fell asleep, when I eventually woke up, there was a nasty black mark on her pillow where I laid my head. I gently crept out of the room, leaving her sleeping peacefully,...........and never saw her again!!!:oops:

On the contrary, the word 'built' is spelled perfectly correctly. It's just that the word does not belong in the sentence.
Fun Fact. Such a mistake is called a Malapropism.

All this rubbish about belt loops and buttons, and the wearing of webbing, was of course irrelevant to the Army of Cold War Warriors in BAOR, as during every exercise from STARTEX to ENDEX, we wore those wonderful, yet slightly uncomfortable and charcoal encrusted Noddy Suits which had neither belt loops or buttons.

I can remember coming off one exercise in West Germany and travelling back to my location in Belgium. Despite a thoroughly hot shower with plenty of soap and shampoo, by the time I visited my then belle in Herentals that night and shagged her stupid until I fell asleep, when I eventually woke up, there was a nasty black mark on her pillow where I laid my head. I gently crept out of the room, leaving her sleeping peacefully,...........and never saw her again!!!:oops:
In retrospect, why did we ever have an issue of kit, other than "suit, NBC"?

Random question time, per the thread title. Anyone know the reason why uniforms from the 90s and earlier had buttons on the belt loops, rather than just sewn down? The Army's never been big on fashion (stand fast Household Div and Cav), so I don't think it's for appearance's sake. What function did it serve? Whatever it was, CS95 did away with them, so I'm all the more curious.

Obvious question - why do I want to know? I missed a belt loop earlier with my belt, and it prompted me to think of Army trousers where you could just undo a button and fix it, but I'm sure there must have been a more useful reason, I just don't know what that is.
Sewing man, It's to do with sewing. It's so that we had yet another mindless bit of sewing to do during basic...thought everyone knew that :rolleyes:=D

We had a one-off issue of "new" noddy suits in my regiment (some toms were still using the old Mk1s & 2s well into the 1980s..) but, because they were dues-out for about two years (along with every other bit of kit in BAOR) we were instructed to wash them after the forthcoming FTX so that they'd be reusable for a decade or so.

Unfortunately, DPM combat kit had already been dues-out for years, and so most of ours was a very ally faded white or pale rose pink colour (ie the bits that had met a PT shirt in the wash). The effect of washing the new-but-now-muddy NBC kit with the rest of the green dhobi resulted in the regiment turning out like colliery workers on the subsequent Monday morning parades. RSM went berserk.

They were there to make it easier, to hang you out to dry !

If they fit as comfortably as did the old trousers OG, they'd be a joy to wear.

I suspect, however, that they'd lack the twin pleats of the OGs (fiddly to make), so they'll be flat-fronted, and tight across the seat as a result.

Which is a feckin shame, because humping heavy weights over long distances on foot don't half give you big gluteus maximus-es.
You suspect wrongly, completely identical to the DPM version which in turn was I'm pretty certain a direct copy of the OG, (though I was never issued a set myself others were still wearing them in place of lightweights when they could) less the shell dressing (and I do mean shell dressing not FFD) pocket in the crotch which has gone.

You suspect wrongly, completely identical to the DPM version which in turn was I'm pretty certain a direct copy of the OG, (though I was never issued a set myself others were still wearing them in place of lightweights when they could) less the shell dressing (and I do mean shell dressing not FFD) pocket in the crotch which has gone.
In that case, what should I be shopping for on Fleabay? I feckin loved OGs ! :)

Assembled webbing belt never went through trouser belt loops.

The buttons were there so you could get dicked on parade when one somehow came undone.

Never seen them on ebay but the label is Trouser, Combat Windproof, Multi Terrain Pattern, 8415-99-418-3344 (size leg90/waist88/seat104).

However, note that they are made of the windproof material (like the old Arctic/SAS windproof smocks) somewhat less robust I think than the OGs.

Never seen them on ebay but the label is Trouser, Combat Windproof, Multi Terrain Pattern, 8415-99-418-3344 (size leg90/waist88/seat104).

However, note that they are made of the windproof material (like the old Arctic/SAS windproof smocks) somewhat less robust I think than the OGs.
Indeed - doesn't cope well with the abrasion caused by mud ingrained from digging and living in trenches.

Much less breathable too, than the cotton drill of the OG jobs (did I mention that I feckin' loved them?).

So did I - and the shirts OG, preferably with black buttons . . .