• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Buttons on belt loops. Why?

You're two versions late - it was the 85-pattern stuff that was the cheap Cold War shite designed to last as long as your respirator canister.

C95 was utter, utter luxury by comparison. I mean, we got decent leather gloves, instead of those green wool things! And GoreTex jackets! And a fleece! And an issue Norwegian Shirt! And decent boots, full-grain, with lace locks and speed lacing, not the tendonitis joy that was cheap, split-grain Boots, Combat High! And that's before you throw in PLCE and the final death of 58-pattern webbing...

Remember those plastic impermeable things that left you as wet on the inside from the humidity than if you'd just let the rain hit you? Always assuming the QM would actually issue you some waterproofs...
Surely the spangly gloves and fleeces came in with '90 pattern uniform rather than CS95.

I'll tell you who had a good go at it. The w**kers who used to lay out their combats in the car park and set about them with a broom and watered down bleach so as to make them look faded out and warry.
Never saw that in 30 years.

Probably because proper soldiers got their combats faded simply by going proper soldiering in them.

Trousers over them when shopping at Asda will put an end to the strange looks*

Trust me on this.
- -----
*Stonkernote: if not, there's more to this tale than you've let on
Well, there was this one trip to Rocky Horror... where the photos ended up glued into the Mess photo album. Not as bad as when the photos of my modelling role at an Ann Summers party... ended being glued into the Mess photo album.

Gits.

Still, it's nice to have proof somewhere that I was once young and stupid rather than a boring old fart

So when do you think it was?

The green fleeces came on with 90 patt from memory, along with the replacement combats for the awful '85 issue.

The fleeces changed to cammo with the '95 issue combats.

When did you first see the green leather gloves and green fleeces?

[QUOTE="

C95 was utter, utter luxury by comparison. I mean, we got decent leather gloves, instead of those green wool things! And GoreTex jackets! And a fleece! And an issue Norwegian Shirt! And decent boots, full-grain, with lace locks and speed lacing, not the tendonitis joy that was cheap, split-grain Boots, Combat High! And that's before you throw in PLCE and the final death of 58-pattern webbing...
...[/QUOTE]

I hated the CS95 jacket and fleece, the jacket when zipped up full had a neck hole I could fit my head through (and no I'm not a pin head) and the fleece neck was only as high as say a polo shirt, resulting in a draughty neck. I much preferred my old lined jacket that did up nicely around the neck.

RP.

Well, there was this one trip to Rocky Horror... where the photos ended up glued into the Mess photo album. Not as bad as when the photos of my modelling role at an Ann Summers party... ended being glued into the Mess photo album.

Gits.

Still, it's nice to have proof somewhere that I was once young and stupid rather than a boring old fart
The road less traveled

I applaud your courage

But not your taste

The green fleeces came on with 90 patt from memory, along with the replacement combats for the awful '85 issue.
That fits

The fleeces changed to cammo with the '95 issue combats
Mebbe so - I just recall thinking they were a step backwards, cos you couldn't wear one in civvies :) I've still got my green one.

When did you first see the green leather gloves and green fleeces?
I didn't see the black gloves until 1999. Four years later, when I left, I hadn't seen green ones.

Brand new green yins appeared on a market stall in my home town the following year.

I was deeply impressed :)

That fits

Mebbe so - I just recall thinking they were a step backwards, cos you couldn't wear one in civvies :) I've still got my green one.

I didn't see the black gloves until 1999. Four years later, when I left, I hadn't seen green ones.

Brand new green yins appeared on a market stall in my home town the following year.

I was deeply impressed :)
Talking of being impressed, I remember trying the '72 pattern webbing and thinking it looked modern/Gucci (to use the phrase of the day) and having no idea it had been rejected by the army for being junk :)

Talking of being impressed, I remember trying the '72 pattern webbing and thinking it looked modern/Gucci (to use the phrase of the day) and having no idea it had been rejected by the army for being junk :)
If the 72 pattern was the one with chest-mounted pouches, it was ditched 'cos "it looked too Russian"

These days, chest mounted pouches are where it's at, for the simple reason that there's no better place for them.