• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Buttons on belt loops. Why?

ISTR being told that C95 was designed to be a throw away uniform.
I'm no stacker walt, but aren't most uniforms throwaway? ie. C-Class stores.

ISTR being told that C95 was designed to be a throw away uniform.
It wasn't designed to be worn by ACOS's, SO1s and craggy ex-para Generals sitting behind desks at a plethora of peacetime, non-deployable HQs.

Yet so popular was it with shiny arrses such as these, that there was insufficient maintenance stock to keep Toms on Ops properly clad, so they were left looking like the circus clowns who've just had their car blowed up in the big top.

True dit, dat.

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
It wasn't designed to be worn by ACOS's, SO1s and craggy ex-para Generals sitting behind desks at a plethora of peacetime, non-deployable HQs.

Yet so popular was it with shiny arrses such as these, that there was insufficient maintenance stock to keep Toms on Ops properly clad, so they were left looking like the circus clowns who've just had their car blowed up in the big top.

True dit, dat.
C95 was designed in the halcyon days of the Cold War when an NBC threat was realistic. It was designed to be worn fir a few days and then chucked away to be replaced with new. Remember the special IR coating on the jackets that were ironed off as soon as somebody decided you needed creases in it.

The desert DPM windproof trousers had a small loop under the main belt loop, and am sure the desert DPM short trousers had the same. Any ideas why¿?

The desert DPM windproof trousers had a small loop under the main belt loop, and am sure the desert DPM short trousers had the same. Any ideas why¿?
To fit the prong of a belt buckle through, thus holding up the centre?
Edit: and keep the belt buckle centred

For true reminiscence, you could go on about the windproof trousers that had no belt loops (IIRC) but had the metal buckle on each hip for a "crossover" style waist fastening. Guaranteed to leave bruises on us skinny gits...
What do you mean reminiscence? They are still on issue in MTP:

DSC_0003a.jpg

C95 was designed in the halcyon days of the Cold War when an NBC threat was realistic
Wrong.

And the clue's in the name: Cold War ended in 1991 with the collapse of the USSR.

Followed by Options For Change (the smaller, better Army - pronounced smaller, more bitter)

Followed by kitting out the aforementioned smaller (cheaper to clothe) Army in the first set of Brit combat uniform in the history of the Army since Napoleon, whose design wasn't derailed by some posh Cav/Guardsman twat complaining that you couldn't wear a tie with it.

I wish I was joking in that last line.

...... first set of Brit combat uniform in the history of the Army since Napoleon, whose design wasn't derailed by some posh Cav/Guardsman twat complaining that you couldn't wear a tie with it.

I wish I was joking in that last line.
Even the combat cravat (mesh scrim scarf) does not go with CS95

What do you mean reminiscence? They are still on issue in MTP:

View attachment 338012
If they fit as comfortably as did the old trousers OG, they'd be a joy to wear.

I suspect, however, that they'd lack the twin pleats of the OGs (fiddly to make), so they'll be flat-fronted, and tight across the seat as a result.

Which is a feckin shame, because humping heavy weights over long distances on foot don't half give you big gluteus maximus-es.

C95 was designed in the halcyon days of the Cold War when an NBC threat was realistic.
You're two versions late - it was the 85-pattern stuff that was the cheap Cold War shite designed to last as long as your respirator canister.

C95 was utter, utter luxury by comparison. I mean, we got decent leather gloves, instead of those green wool things! And GoreTex jackets! And a fleece! And an issue Norwegian Shirt! And decent boots, full-grain, with lace locks and speed lacing, not the tendonitis joy that was cheap, split-grain Boots, Combat High! And that's before you throw in PLCE and the final death of 58-pattern webbing...

Remember those plastic impermeable things that left you as wet on the inside from the humidity than if you'd just let the rain hit you? Always assuming the QM would actually issue you some waterproofs...

C95 was designed in the halcyon days of the Cold War when an NBC threat was realistic. It was designed to be worn fir a few days and then chucked away to be replaced with new. Remember the special IR coating on the jackets that were ironed off as soon as somebody decided you needed creases in it.
Ironing out/off IRR is a myth.

You're two versions late - it was the 85-pattern stuff that was the cheap Cold War shite designed to last as long as your respirator canister.

C95 was utter, utter luxury by comparison. I mean, we got decent leather gloves, instead of those green wool things! And GoreTex jackets! And a fleece! And an issue Norwegian Shirt! And decent boots, full-grain, with lace locks and speed lacing, not the tendonitis joy that was cheap, split-grain Boots, Combat High! And that's before you throw in PLCE and the final death of 58-pattern webbing...

Remember those plastic impermeable things that left you as wet on the inside from the humidity than if you'd just let the rain hit you? Always assuming the QM would actually issue you some waterproofs...
aaaahhhh !

The good old daze:)

The only thing I can think of that would go with a scrim scarf is fishnet stockings.
(edited for clarity!)

Don't knock the fishnet. I bought these from the PRI at Sch Inf, wore them under my combat trousers, still got them, and they're f***ing awesome. Granted, you do get some strange looks:

Last edited:
Don't knock the fishnet. I bought these from the PRI at Sch Inf, wore them for years (still got them), and they're f***ing awesome. Granted, you do get some strange looks:

Trousers over them when shopping at Asda will put an end to the strange looks*

Trust me on this.
- -----
*Stonkernote: if not, there's more to this tale than you've let on