Butterfly Badge of Honour

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Cuddles, Mar 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm researching the Battles of Ypres at present. An interesting side-track is the award of the so-called "Butterfly Badge" as a Badge of Honour to units that had displayed extreme bravery as a unit. A Coy 8th Glosters were awarded theirs in August 1917, following actions which had resulted in two VCs. A Fd Coy RE also received the honour, I cannot recall which.

The badge was a red silk butterfly shape. I am afraid that is all the data I have but if anyone has more I'd be interested to hear it. L/Cpl Edward Salmon from my home village served in the bn. and was killed in March 1918. We will be dropping by to visit him on our pilgrimage.

2. Chappell's Osprey book says that the butterfly was the divisional badge of the 19th (Western) Division, to which the 8th Glosters belonged. He goes on to say that certain formations instituted 'battle badges', a special form of the divisional insignia, possibly within a wreath, with a certificiate, but implies that these were for individuals.

3. I hope you'll be able to drop off that 'package' from UCL that the French might want to kick about the park with at the same time... :wink:

4. Airfix...there is a parcel for auntie Marie, two dormice sleep behind Uncle Yves pipe rack...I think you know what I am saying.

5. Cuddles,

The 19th (Western) Div, otherwise known as the Butterfly Div have their memorial on the Oostaverne road, South of St Eloi. I was stood at it today. It is located almost straight accross the road from Oostaverne Wood Cemetery. The "Ooostaverne Line" was a day one objective on 7th June '17 (Battle of Messines).

FM

6. Thanks for that - I'll take a swing by there in a fortnight.