Buttercup squash recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by CountryGal, Dec 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

I got a buttercup squash in my veg box this week - apart from a soup anyone got a main course recipe suggestion please - not looking for a cut and paste from the net but a personal favourite please.
  2. A recipe, well all of them are tasteless, can't you swap for a cabbage? I suppose you could hollow it out, make a smiley face and tell your son it's halloween it'll be cheaper than Christmas.
  3. CountryGal

I have cabbage too but haven't really cooked with a squash before snd it smells slight sweet - night mooch more online but wondered if anyone else had something.

Ps your roast potato recipe rocks
  4. I recall a relative hollowing out marrows and filling them with mince, just can't see the point and the fiddling. Another waste of fertiliser is Aubergines, tasteless things.
    Glad you liked the roast potatoes.
  5. You could clean it, cut into chunks, then roast on an oiled tray with onions, carrots etc, then make a Thai curry.

6. His name wasn't Portnoy was it?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CountryGal

Do you have the recipe for the Thai curry snd I'll give it a go ;)
  8. It may have been my Uncle Maurice but I'm not sure :)
  9. Use green curry paste, heat a tablespoon in a pan just to release the flavours, whisk in coconut milk, heat it up and add whatever you want.
  10. Throw it in the bin, seriously it's absolutely ganking.

There is a reason why certain foods have been marginalised in the food chain it's called market forces.
    People realise that buttercup squash and its bastard child - the butternut squash - are....rubbish. If it was even a tiny bit pleasant it would be a regular feature on supermarket shelves, whereas it isn't and so it's not.

A few years ago when I was in the States I was listening to the Howard Stern show. Stern was interviewing a teenager who had lost his arms up to the shoulder in a farming accident. The conversation moved onto his sex life and he said he got his brother to hollow out a hole in various large vegetables and 'had his way' with these. I would suggest this as the best use for a buttercup squash and this 're-branding' might be the only way to save this endangered species from natural deselection and the compost bin of history.

A passing nod to marrows and turnips. Merry Christmas.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CountryGal

I like marrow snd aubergine so I'd rather Try it then throw it :)

12. Haven't got a recipe as such, a friend put it on for a party once and I tried to replicate it a couple of times.....

Basically, you roast a medley of veg, you can include sweet potato as well, then add to a tin of coconut milk and some green thai curry paste.... only use half what the buggers reccomend, then add a little more if you can handle it.

It's one of those recipes you have a go with a combination you think you'll like, then tune it to taste.

Pineapple would be good as well.
  13. CountryGal

I'm trying that for boxing day!
  14. It makes nice mash or soup or you can roast it
    • Like Like x 2
  15. CountryGal

Oooh I like the sound of that wf - ill try both of those :)