Butter knife is an "offensive wpn"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stoatman, Apr 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/04/14/nbutt14.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/04/14/ixhome.html

Words fail me :evil:
  2. Ah but Stoatie, we're lacking some context here, like why he was carrying a butter knife in a public place. You've got to think that some chav from Welling has gone out equipped with a butter knife for some purpose, and my guess is the reasoning behind it was 'It's just a butter knife, the Rozzers can't nick me for this, tee hee hee...'
  3. in that case, surely anything can become an offensive weapon in the right hands! Maybe i should stop carrying a tooth pick around with me ?!!! :D
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Exactly, an offensive weapon is anything that is carried with intent. A rolled up newspaper was classified thus in the 1970s. Sounds silly but some of us can remeber "The Millwall Brick" which was a way of rolling a newspaper so that it formed a particularly effective cudgel. Very popular after stanley knives were banned at Millwall games.
  5. msr

msr LE

Can you tell us how to make one of these? -Purely for academic interest of course.

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

As far as I remember, roll up the paper (Tabloid, of course :) )lengthways - you have a tube around 16" long, and 1 1/2 " diameter.

Fold tube in half - takes some doing - hold both ends. Voila, virtually solid lump of offensiveness. AFter all, it started out as a lump of wood :D
  7. nasty point on it as well, if I remember right. Essentially a paper pickaxe.
  8. Unfortunately it then is clearly a newspaper that has been used as a "Millwall brick". Better method is to roll up the paper/magazine and then stub it against a wall. As long as it remains rolled up, it is compacted. Once unrolled it then becomes a slightly soiled newspaper again and less detectable. The brick you have to chuck but with my patent method (applied for!) you can stroll off and if some bar steward jumps you on your way to the extraction point or emergency RV, presto you are back in business in the proverbial heartbeat.

Use is as a stabbing, thrusting weapon rather than as a cudgel...or so I am informed by..erm..a bloke I met in a pub...yes that's it, a bloke in a pub.
  9. Is that where Matt Damon got the idea from? If I remember correctly he uses a rolled up magazine as a weapon very effectivley in the Bourne Supremacy.
  10. ANY item can be classed as an offensive weapon. It depends on the circumstances.

What explaination did this guy give for having the item, and what were the circumstances of its discovery by Police? These should be considered before we have the usual ill informed ARSSE moans about the law.
  11. This is what he's been prosecuted under, NOT Sec. 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953:

The court ruled that a butter knife fell within the meaning of the CJA, NOT that it was an offensive wpn under the PCA, hence no "intent" had to be proved.

Thus from the evidence presented in the article, he was prosecuted because the butter knife constituted an offensive wpn per se under Sec. 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988.
  12. Then he has grounds for appeal if the edge indeed wasn't a cutting edge.
  13. Even more handy, is a tightly rolled copy of "Private Eye" with a couple of rubber bands to keep it furled. It is more compact, and you're right, its used to jab at vulnerable areas ie: face, throat, temple,neck,arm-pit, solar-plexus, kidneys and groin. I must drink in the same pubs as you! :wink:
  14. cpt - but a "blade" is not necessarily sharp:

i.e. it only has to "cut". A butter knife can cut butter or cheese well enough, does not cut live human flesh very well at all.
  15. I applaud this insightful and carefully-considered judicial decision. There's no reason for any private citizen to possess any portable object that is, or can be rendered, sharp, hard, or heavy.

May I point out that butter itself should also be considered an offensive weapon if wielded with intent to cause coronary atherosclerosis, a lethal condition.