Butt naked -Brits on the lash in Harstad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mountain-Monkey, Feb 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.ht.no/incoming/article139666.ece

(yes, it's got pictures)

(Caption: On the piss: The British soldiers lost all restrains during a night on the town in Harstad wednesday night)

British soldiers stripped and urinated on a fellow soldier doing press-ups..-in the middle of a bar in Harstad.

Here the extremely drunk English soldiers run amok -in the full monty.
    The happening occured at the "Sfinx" bar wednesday night. After having harassed several of the female guests, the English soldiers just as well took all their clothes off, and urinated on the floor, furniture and each other.

Cecilie G. Kleppe (29) was one of the shocked witnesses to the completely unwanted striptease.
    "All of a sudden, they shouted "naked bar", and then removed all their clothes. Some were waving their "tackle" around in front of other guests. Two of the english were also urinating on a fellow soldier doing press-ups on the floor. Most of the girls in the pub were assaulted in some way or another" Kleppe reports to Norwegian tabloid VG.

Every year foreign soldiers come to Harstad for the annual winter exercises. Currently three exercises are ongoing, "Armatura Borealis 2008", "Tundra" and "Northern light", simultaneously in Troms. Several thousand soldiers from multiple nations participate.

The foreign military visits mean much money to Harstad municipality. Cecilia G. Kleppe now say the politicians have to open their eyes also for the dark side of the military activity.
    "-This isn't good for Harstad town, no matter how much the municipality makes on these winter exercises. Quite simply, I feel unsafe, and I am sick and tired of being harassed when I'm out on the town during these exercises."

Never seen the like
    Peter Holmbakken (20) was out with friends at "Sfinx" when the english lost all inhibitions. "-Everybody reacted, because it was no beautiful sight. Personally I didn't mind that much, but I understand the girls' reactions. It's annoying to be picked on and verbally assaulted. To speak plainly: I am sick and tired of the brits" the 20 year old says.

Manager Trond Mathisen at "Sfinx" says he has never seen behaviour like this before. "-Most foreign soldiers coming here behave ok. The behaviour shown by these soldiers is totally unacceptable. I both hope and believe that this will never be repeated", Mathisen says to VG.

Last night, it was still unknown what unit the British soldiers belonged to.

CO of Allied Training Centre North in Harstad, Lt-Col. Lars Sundes, has thousands of foreign soldiers in training every year. He reports that generally, deviant behaviour in town is not tolerated and dealt with harshly. "-Foreign soldiers not behaving, are trated according to Norwegian law and the units own rules and regulations, and are punished. The chances of being sent home prematurely are quite big. This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable, both in Norwegian and foreign units" Sundnes says to VG.

Operations officer Grete Birkeland at Midtre Hålogaland constabulary had as of last night, not received any filed complaints after the British striptease."