• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Butchers customer cuts off hand "for Allah"

Just read this and laughed my head off.
Customer at Market in Springfield Cuts Off His Hand

By Karin Brulliard
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 25, 2006; Page B01

Igbal Asghar reached across the counter at Super Halal Meat market and passed two butchered chickens to the man with the familiar face. Then he ducked into the walk-in freezer to fetch the customer's second order, goat meat.

When the butcher stepped out seconds later, the customer's severed left hand lay on the floor by the meat saw, Asghar said. The customer ran down the Springfield store's center aisle and into the front parking lot, leaving a trail of blood and yelling repeatedly that he was "not a terrorist." Outside, another witness said, the man announced that he had used the meat saw to cut off his hand "for Allah."

When a butcher was retrieving an order in a freezer for a customer at Super Halal Meat market in Springfield, the customer sawed off his hand, then ran from the store into a parking lot yelling that he was not a terrorist. Rescuers took him to a hospital, and an official said it is believed he has mental problems.

Asghar said the man's son told him that evening that his father was on medication for mental problems. Dan Schmidt, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, said authorities believe the man had mental health problems. Schmidt said he did not know whether doctors planned to try to re-attach the man's hand.

"I don't know what happened to that guy," Asghar, 45, said as he leaned yesterday against a stack of Pakistan Link newspapers at the small strip mall store in the Franconia area, which caters to customers from India, Afghanistan and Pakistan. "We are shaking still when we are talking about it."

Nothing seemed amiss when the man approached the meat counter with his teenage son, Asghar said. The butcher said he recognized the man, whose name he did not know, as a fellow Pakistani. The man chatted on a cellphone as Asghar cut his chicken.

Suddenly, the man was racing toward the front of the store, past jars of turmeric powder and boxes of date-filled cookies. Manager Sohail Afzal, 28, who was helping a customer, grabbed the phone and called police.

With his son following, the man went into the parking lot, where Vikas Sinsunwal, 18, was hanging out with a group of friends in front of his parents' store, Niralla Sweets. The young men were admiring a friend's new motorcycle, Sinsunwal said, when the man walked coolly toward them. The man was holding aloft his bleeding left arm -- sliced several inches above the wrist -- and using his right hand to hold up a photo identification badge that hung around his neck.

"We thought it was fake," Sinsunwal said of the limb. Then they heard the man mumbling calmly but angrily in a mixture of English and Urdu about working in the area and his children attending school here.

"He said, 'I did this for Allah' -- God," Sinsunwal said.

Startled, the friends rushed inside Niralla Sweets, which sells pastel treats adorned with almond slices. The man followed.

As his son tried to calm him, the man stood outside the store's large windows, holding the badge and showing no sign of pain, Sinsunwal said. His sister, Shivani Sinsunwal, 20, called police as frightened customers begged her not to let the man inside.

About 30 seconds later, the man began walking toward the street. By now, workers and customers had poured out of nearby stores and were shouting at the man to stop.

"He wouldn't stop," Vikas Sinsunwal said.

When a butcher was retrieving an order in a freezer for a customer at Super Halal Meat market in Springfield, the customer sawed off his hand, then ran from the store into a parking lot yelling that he was not a terrorist. Rescuers took him to a hospital, and an official said it is believed he has mental problems.

The man cursed at and ran from police officers who arrived a few minutes later, witnesses said. As he neared the busy intersection of Backlick Road and Spring Garden, witnesses said, police tackled him on a grassy area across from an appliance store.

Later, the man's son walked alone toward the butcher shop with a vacant look on his face, Shivani Sinsunwal said.

"I was so sad to see him like that," she said. "I mean, what could have gone through him? He saw his dad take his hand off, you know?"

Super Halal Meat closed Saturday evening while a cleaning agency scrubbed the premises, Asghar said. Health inspectors gave the go-ahead for the store to reopen Sunday morning, he said.

The man came once in a while to Super Halal Meat, but no one there knew his name. Vikas Sinsunwal recognized him, too, but they had never exchanged names.

Yesterday, a piece of cardboard blocked the narrow walkway that separates the shopping area of Super Halal Meat from the work area, where meat is cut with a vertical saw, a large contraption mounted on a shiny metal counter. Asghar said a large door will be installed to block the space. A freshly handwritten sign, a replacement for one that was spattered with the man's blood, was taped on the glass front of the meat counter. It read:

"Employes Only

Please Stay Out Side

Thanks"

Asghar stood behind the counter with a butcher knife in his hand. In more than a dozen years at the shop, he said, nothing has ever been so startling.

"You never think about it -- never, ever," Asghar said. "Things don't happen like that."
From the Washington POst

RAMC_Medic said:
I think this is what's referred to in the serious adult medical professional community of which I am a member as a "fruit loop".

I live 200m from a Buddist temple with a magnificent statue outside of a Budda with 18 arms, my point being that this particular 'Allah' has enough hands already:)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Religion is a form of mental illness - as in order tio believe you have to surrender all rational thought processes. Matey just took it one step beyond. At least he did not take anyone else with him!

sknn said:
Religion is a form of mental illness - as in order tio believe you have to surrender all rational thought processes. Matey just took it one step beyond. At least he did not take anyone else with him!
You say...what is irrational about the question's of faith? They may not be proven empirically but then again neither can some of the "rationally" arrived at concepts on the leading edge of theoretical physics.

Cuddles said:
You say...what is irrational about the question's of faith? They may not be proven empirically but then again neither can some of the "rationally" arrived at concepts on the leading edge of theoretical physics.
When you speak to God it is called praying; when God speaks to you it's called schizophrenia.

[I recall one past Chief Constable, one US President and our PM who all reckon God has spoken to them]

Riad wrote:

shame that all of them have not cut both of there hands off.
now that would be good.

Well he probably tried to cut his other hand off too... it was only when he picked the knife back up he realised the flaw in his cunning plan....

What i do not understand is why did he not cut off his other hand as well.
It would have been difficult unless he could have pressed the power button with his nose.
I bet his cufflinks and wristwatch are on E-Bay, right now along with some sweets decorated with almonds.

Latest Threads