Butcher and Bolt

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by singha61, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. David Loyn Butcher & Bolt - Two Hundred Years of Foreign Engagement in Afghanistan. Covers the 3 Anglo Afghan wars the Soviet invasion and the rise and defeat of the Taliban the 1st time round. Makes very good reading with regard to the great game between Tsarist Russia and the East India company/ British India. Shame the lessons of the past are not used today.
  2. An excellent book. Considering everything i knew about afganistan i had learned from the news or Flashman books, I feel like i might have a bit of a better grasp of the place and it's history now.
    I will be reading it again to make sure it sticks, can't recommend highly enough. Very interesting to see the relationship between afganistan of old and the former English empire in india.

I blame the French and Ghandi
  3. Should be required reading. Should have been required reading before we went anywhere near the place
  4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Should have been required reading before we went anywhere near the place indeed - but so should "Military Strategy 101."
  5. In addition to this book which I intend to read shortly, has anyone read "Koran, Kalahkinov and Laptop: The Neo Taliban insurgncy in Afghanistan 2002-2007"?

I have reserved this from my local library and just want to know if I am wasting my time.

Thanks. :D
  6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Really, its Jinnah who gets my hackles up :evil:

@Canteen, Koran, Kal & Laptop is a good read. Enjoy.
  7. I can't emphasise enough how good that book is. Honestly. In my- I mean, the :D - Scholars & Warriors thread, there are some links to articles by Antonio Giustozzi, the author, which might be worth a look.

He's also the editor of a book that's just come out, btw, Decoding the New Taliban.