Butcher and Bolt

David Loyn Butcher & Bolt - Two Hundred Years of Foreign Engagement in Afghanistan. Covers the 3 Anglo Afghan wars the Soviet invasion and the rise and defeat of the Taliban the 1st time round. Makes very good reading with regard to the great game between Tsarist Russia and the East India company/ British India. Shame the lessons of the past are not used today.

An excellent book. Considering everything i knew about afganistan i had learned from the news or Flashman books, I feel like i might have a bit of a better grasp of the place and it's history now.
I will be reading it again to make sure it sticks, can't recommend highly enough. Very interesting to see the relationship between afganistan of old and the former English empire in india.

I blame the French and Ghandi

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
In addition to this book which I intend to read shortly, has anyone read "Koran, Kalahkinov and Laptop: The Neo Taliban insurgncy in Afghanistan 2002-2007"?

I have reserved this from my local library and just want to know if I am wasting my time.

Thanks. :D

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Disney said:
An excellent book. Considering everything i knew about afganistan i had learned from the news or Flashman books, I feel like i might have a bit of a better grasp of the place and it's history now.
I will be reading it again to make sure it sticks, can't recommend highly enough. Very interesting to see the relationship between afganistan of old and the former English empire in india.

I blame the French and Ghandi
Really, its Jinnah who gets my hackles up :evil:

@Canteen, Koran, Kal & Laptop is a good read. Enjoy.

CanteenCowboy said:
In addition to this book which I intend to read shortly, has anyone read "Koran, Kalahkinov and Laptop: The Neo Taliban insurgncy in Afghanistan 2002-2007"?

I have reserved this from my local library and just want to know if I am wasting my time.

Thanks. :D
I can't emphasise enough how good that book is. Honestly. In my- I mean, the :D - Scholars & Warriors thread, there are some links to articles by Antonio Giustozzi, the author, which might be worth a look.

He's also the editor of a book that's just come out, btw, Decoding the New Taliban.