Buster the Wonder Dog

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Murielson, Mar 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Buster is Voted Hero Dog of the Year

Buster, a Springer Spaniel army sniffer dog, has been chosen by the British public as the Kennel Club Hero Dog of the Year for 2005.

Buster beat five other special canine heroes in a BBC vote to win the prestigious award at the 'world's greatest dog show', Crufts, at the NEC, Birmingham.

Handled by Danny Morgan from Aldershot, Hampshire, Buster has had a highly distinguished career with the army, having demonstrated his exceptional talents to uncover weapons in Northern Ireland and Kosovo. His finest moment came when he located a huge cache of arms, intended for use against British forces, hidden inside the wall cavity of an enemy camp in Iraq, for which he became the only dog to be awarded the PDSA Dickin Medal for bravery, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

The Kennel Club Hero Dog of the Year award, which was held with the support of PetPartners plc, saw over 45,000 votes flood in for the six four-legged finalists via the BBC, with Buster receiving over 20,000. For the first time, this year's Crufts television coverage was shown interactively, allowing viewers to watch the nominees' stories at any time in the week prior to the show and voting took place by phone or text.

Buster and Danny Morgan received their prize from Blue Peter presenter, Matt Baker, and John Spurling, Chairman of PetPartners Plc, in the Main Ring of the event, live on BBC2 prior to their coverage of the Best in Show final. Speaking on behalf of Buster, Danny Morgan expressed his delight at the award:

"It means the world to me. 99% of military working dogs are rescue dogs, so for a young lad that joined the army and a rescue dog to win the first Kennel Club Hero Dog of the Year award is fantastic."

The inaugural Kennel Club Hero Dog of the Year competition featured six dogs, each with their own remarkable story. Whilst only one dog could take home the trophy, all the dogs nominated were worthy of their moment in the spotlight. The other competitors were:

Mandy, owned by Peter Wilson from Cockermouth, Cumbria – saved his life in a house fire.
    Boswell, owned by Maelea Forrester from Long Ditton, Surrey – pet dog who became a guide dog.
    Endal, owned by Allen Parton from Clanfield, Hampshire – provides incredible support to his disabled owner.
    Tyson, owned by Bob Bainbridge from Durham – saved life of owner following a brutal attack.
    Valentine, owned by June Beech from Wincanton, Somerset – Hearing Dog turned guardian angel.
    Meanwhile, there's a month still to run of the Kennel Club Art Gallery's temporary exhibition 'Dogs in War', which pays homage to the brave dogs that gave their lives or worked so tirelessly in times of conflict.

Britain officially sanctioned the use of Dogs in 1916 with the opening of the War Dog Training School in Shoeburyness. The Kennel Club's Dogs in War exhibition, which runs until 15th April 2005, consists of an assortment of artefacts, including a collection of photographs from the Imperial War Museum, collars from the Dog Collar Museum at Leeds Castle, and the Dickin Medal won by Buster last year.

A parachute harness, and a jacket owned by a Royal Flying Corps Officer, both designed to be worn by dogs, along with a rather gruesome explosives collar, add to the diversity of the exhibition. All of these artefacts highlight the vital role dogs have played during times of war and civil unrest. The exhibition is an exciting and evocative display, located within the splendour of the Kennel Club's own Art Gallery.

Visitors to the exhibition can only stop to reflect on how man's best friend has stood by his master through thick and thin, often risking his life in the process.

2. Not slating you, Murielson, but this whole thing about 'hero' dogs, is a complete waste of everything.

What's the fcuking dog going to do, go on the prosperous after-dinner circuit?
    No, it'll more than likely eat the medal, then try and sh*g the runner up.

What's next, heroic squirrels?

3. Posted as info for those that may be interested. All opinions welcomed.

Handler was well chuffed when he won though. Bit embarassing when he bent over to stroke his pooch and his medals fell off in front of x thousand dog lovers. :lol:

4. Now there's the interesting thread to the story ..... should the handler be charged for 'bringing the Army into disrepute' by failing to ensure his medals were correctly fitted?!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

fell off when he picked the mutt up. I wouldnt pick up any of my spaniels in SD as they shed hair like the mod sheds officers.
    I remember we had a patrol dog in Lisnaskea, just a stray but fed and looked after by the 6 week rifle company. It even used to do the heli patrols and kept the stray nutter mutts from biting the lads. During our time the TWA decided to employ a trooper to open the door of the lynx to watch it land. New trooper on first patrol, dog on board over Fermanagh. Trooper opens door at 200+ feet and out leaps mutt. Known resting place marked by dog shaped hole in the peat. Exit a stick of pissing themselves crow and one embarressed air twooper!

6. :lol: :lol: :lol:

liking it ugly!

7. hehe, fair one. i've always been a fan of army dogs, even if they do turn down my advances. picky, that's what they are!

8. Bollox - the only wonder dog is STUMPY. If Buster's got a VC then Stumpy should have a BAFTA. ;-)

9. Holy thread revival; 7 years, a record???

10. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

And me being a mere human, not that I have ever won a medal, but I might try to eat the medal but would certainly try to shag the runner up. Assuming that the runner up is human.

11. Makes me feel not so bad about arguing with posts in a thread that were 4 years old, before the dates were pointed out to me, not so very long ago