Busmans Holiday?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by CivPlod, Jul 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

after fighting with the police for nearly 6 years(with currently nine years service) to get into the T.A, I've finally won and been given permission to join. Unfortunately, I now have a problem. I've applied for Pro Coy, but having thought about it, I'm now I'm unsure as to whether or not this would be a busmans holdiay? I've thought about my local unit, 124 field squadon, 71 Eng. Regt, which I hope would mean learning new skills :?:, and would hopefully mean doin things that I dont regularly do.

I want to know if anybody else has joined a unit to do a busmans holiday, like nursing in a field hospital, mechanics with REME and got bored and regreted it? Or am I wrong and are there skills to learn from R.M.P?(V)

Comments welcome, even from you piss takers!!!!!
  2. Personaly i would want something different because the more skills and knowlage you have the wider you can spread your wings if that makes any sense....
  3. I think the thing to do is not do something to drastically different unless you can relate or have interest very strong interest in .

e.g. Mechanical engineer becoming a Medic

(just an example no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist cos they or someone they know, has done just this )

being in an environment with people on the same wave length is key IMO

but I still would not recommend someone doing the exact same job as they do as a civi unless they are a nurse or doctor but even then its not the same !
  4. Sounds like Royal Eng. is the way to go then.
  5. for what it's worth, I joined a field hospital in the same job as I do in the NHS (not nurse or doctor) because I felt it would be a shame not to use the valuable skills & knowledge I already have.
    See it as an oppertunity to use those skills in a very different environment, but also letting you learn new skills..........but I guess each to their own and you'll get out of it what you put in!
  6. I work on the railway, so the army were keen for me to join the Railway Troop RLC when I joined, but I joined to do something different so have joined an EOD sqn. I looked at it from wanting something different & said to the recruiting officer, he agreed that's a good thing as I'll be less likely to become bored & want to leave.

In your instance, haven't you had enough of not being liked as civilian old bill? We soldier really hate the Monkeys you know ;)
  7. 124 may be the way to go! I just hope you have not lifted any of them before and watch out for Swine Flu! :p
  8. Good chance of that, I used to work in the area that they now recruit from!!!!

Everybody hates the police, even the police.....until you need them. Is it just a straight transfer of application then( being one army and all that) or do I have to cancel the Pro Coy one then re-apply? Given how longs its taken me to get this far, I dont want to burn any bridges and have nothing should they reject.
  9. Civ Plod - check PMs
  10. I would think that it'll be a straight application transfer, but this is something your new unit of choice would be able to clarify me thinks.
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There is a nationally recruited Military Provost Staff unit which is principally responsible for prisoner (PW) handling. They were very keen on recruiting coppers and screws. Bit different to your day job but using the skills.

Their published telephone number is: 01206 54 359.
  12. Given that you are Old Bill, I'd have thought the Infantry would be acceptable to you - they *expect* you to batter people.

13. Would Edinburgh be out of the question?
  14. Go Engr, you get a nice red belt and people lke you as you make bridges to keep their feet dry.
    Or be a helicopter pilot, they will scorn you but like you overall as they get to keep their feet dry. But you don't get the natty red belt - choices choices.