Busmans holiday vrs Fun/Adventure

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well what is the modern TA, have we ignored SDR by providing formed sub units or do we primarily provide experts in our normal day2day fields but in green.

My most enjoyable time in the TA was when I was a Mortar Section Commander, I'm now in a half busman/fun post but I think I should move onto full 'busman' post or should I go back to my roots maybe becoming RSO for 4 Yorks.

p.s. Is the inf still like it was? i.e. fun

2. Depends on your unit......Fun can still be had.
    Best Job I had was 2ic Recce....no Platoon now...Bugger.

Its all about Op's now (not that's a bad thing) but you need something between to keep the boys interested.

With Bowman RSO might be interesting....if the Kit Arrives and enough of it!

3. I hold a slot just above that but ........

4. Last I heard LMG's and UGL are on Coy scale soon to the TA........(Real soon in our case)
    You will Deploy with your own kit & Wpn's.....it's the way forward!

All the sig's platoon at BHQ are on courses for the kit arriving..when it gets to Coy level I know not.......

Be nice if this all happens..

All we need is a right good Battle camp to see if some of it works....
    (no comment on the use of bowman due to fit status)....ho hum!

5. Just one small piece of advice. 4 Yorks now have a new RSM. Not heard much about him yet... but we have been without one for just a little while.

Rumour has it he is keen to stop the rot on regimental weekends- currently they can't organise a piss up in a brewery.... but that may all change soon. Wait out...

6. Well I'm in a proper busmans post, but even if I wasn't it (inf) is nowhere near as much fun as it was, and before all the arabs/armchair warriors start rustling copies of the Sport/Torygraph about TA pissups......

By fun I mean deployed for proper attack/defence exercises with the world on your back and fighting all weekend in some remote part of Salisbury plain.

Unfortunately, because all our resources/troops/ammo/trg areas are earmarked for/actually on/returning from OPs, it just doesn't happen anymore.

I still think the TA can be fun/enjoyable, but depends if you are in the right post.

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Yes it does - did it a month ago, and despite the aches and pains it was a good weekend. You just need people to do the work and set it up.

8. That will be nice, a New RSM. Shame about the last one, I was mildly surprised, I served with the company he was CQMS for in the past and he was a good egg, strict but fair.

I enjoyed the last trip out in the field, even allowing for a sudden change of "what the f*** am i doing this weekend!" I did feel the weekend was heading towards a "Martial Merlin" X Platoon will now do the Patrols stand routine.

I was thinking about a slight change in career in 4 Yorks....Not too sure now ! ;-)

9. Donkey to Scalie Back Rupert seems a bit of a change. Also, isn't RSO a defunct title now?

10. I miss running CP's from trenches amd repelling 3rd shock from Bg CP (cause some pillock put BG HQ too far forward)

11. Busman's holiday it is.

Do in business that which I don't do in the TA and vice versa. It should ever be thus.

12. I always have fun but I work bloody hard too.

Its usually down to the unit and how it runs things. I have seen companies completely decimated because of bad leadership and management from the SNCOs and Offs.

I concur with Birduk - 4Yorks make life more difficult for everyone and I know soldiers who are thinking of handing their kit in because they are treated so badly that they don't enjoy it anymore.

Lets hope this changes soon.

13. I always have fun but I work bloody hard too.

Its usually down to the unit and how it runs things. I have seen companies completely decimated because of bad leadership and management from the SNCOs and Offs.

I concur with Birduk - 4Yorks make life more difficult for everyone and I know soldiers who are thinking of handing their kit in because they are treated so badly that they don't enjoy it anymore.

Lets hope this changes soon.

14. and if so how do possible disparities between army rank and civilian job get managed.

I was a LCpl on T2 (army trade Ptarmigan Op) but was called up for my IT skills. In civvy street I am a manager, responsible for team which supports a system used by over 6000 people and important enough that if it goes down for any length of time it has to get reported to the FSA. In Iraq I was administering JOCS and fixing PC's.

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time because it took me back to when I first started work and was extremely undemanding. However I could have been working in the J6 area looking after a couple of projects, but being a LCpl that wasn't on the cards.