Business trips and travelling light

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Guns, Aug 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

My new job sees me doing some international travel for meetings etc. Normally 1-2 weeks in length.

I am looking for fellow ARRSErs business travel tips. I would like to do carry on only to reduce the whole hassle of airports.

Suits or uniform for working dress, sports kit, casual and toiletries are what I aim to carry.

Happy to buy toiletries on arrival and I think the travel allowance will cover this.

Over to the collective wisdom of you lot. After tips, suggested baggage and links to favourite suppliers.

2. Noise cancelling headphones are a must, dont go for the Bose ones, get good Sennheisers.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Long haul or short hop? Are we talking outside the EU?

4. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

All long haul in and outside the EU

5. One of those little horseshoe-shaped "travellers pillows". Fits into the side pocket of my laptop case, great for naps on the plane or wherever you find yourself. Better neck support than the tiny thing they give you on the plane.

• Like Like x 2
  6. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Somersets shaving oil. Superb pal

• Like Like x 1
  7. Use Seatguru.com to find your preferred seat , then reserve it online.

8. Make sure the company (or you) books the hotel rooms weeelllllll in advance.

9. Get a light jacket with lots of pockets for travelling. They are very handy for putting EVERYTHING you carry into when going through security. It does save valuable minutes if all you have to do is put one jacket in a tray and put it on again at the other end, rather than relocating wallet, phone, passport, change etc. each time. For multi-legged journeys you really will see the benefit.

• Like Like x 7
  10. What they all said, plus remember that decent hotels have very quick turn around laundry and suit pressing available. Worth considering travelling in a suit in order to cut down on checked baggage, provided you're confident you can get it refreshed on arrival.

I try to minimise my carryon to what is absolutely essential - I hate those ********* with all their worldly goods in tow who then take up all the overhead locker space. Kindle, laptop, duty-free fags, phones - everything else is replaceable if your checked bag gets lost or delayed.

By all means get noise cancelling headphones, or alternatively activate the squaddie reflex and just go to sleep once you're on the plane. It may not be restful, but it does make the time go. I try not to eat on planes and stay off the alcohol - just water to keep the kidneys working; decent scoff is wasted, in any case, as the pressurised cabin affects your taste buds badly.

Sign up for one frequent flyer programme from each of the major alliances, oneworld and Star Alliance - plus some of the independents, especially if you're in and out of the Gulf. I'm with BA for oneworld and Singapore for Star Alliance, your mileage might vary depending where you're likely to be flying most often. I'd sign up for hotel loyalty programmes as well, especially if you have a corporate travel policy which sees you using the same chains a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. When I was travelling regularly, my habit was to have a G&T or other adult beverage, then nod off to sleep. Marine Corps inculcated me with the ability to then sleep through about anything, including landing. Waking up at the gate is always nice. In the past few months, I've discovered Melatonin. It's available OTC in the States, I understand over there it may not in some countries. 5mg will put me right out, and none of the harmful after effects of booze. If it's legal to get where you're at, you may want to pack some to help put out your lights on a long flight, or to compensate for jet lag.

12. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

13. Look at Victorinox luggage. I've a small wheeled carry on back I've had years. It's enough room for a few days kit and lap top. Very smartly organised and wheeling is better than carrying.
    Keep a small set of toiletries always in your bag. Small eye bath and optrex or witch hazel is useful.
    I hope they're giving you business class flights or you'll soon get very grumpy.

14. My laptop bag is a Victorinox backpack rig. One of the best pieces of luggage I've ever bought.

15. 1 Travel in uniform as suggested and always wear your white, tropical kit, even if travelling to Alaska. I'm told the gay flight attendants might give you a free upgrade if you look a bit like Tom Cruise out of Top Gun. Hopefully, a "free upgrade" just means you change cabins and isn't some euphemism for bizarre, gay sexual practices.

2 To save on packing underwear, simply cut the legs off the trousers from a NBC suit and wear the remainder underneath your uniform. Thanks to the activated charcoal lining, you can wear these "NBC pants" for weeks and nobody will notice the smell.

3 Keep a spare cell phone charger and electricity plug adaptors in your case so you don't forget them.

4 Switch off data roaming on your phone. It costs a fortune abroad and you can use WiFi in your hotel.

5 Download some videos to your laptop in case the in flight movie is no good.