Business intelligence

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by polar, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Which corp in the army does this? (The reports, decision cubes, SQL queries etc on your own information plus maybe SQL DBA).

In a government Org this would the IT dept plus sector reps. Suspect it maybe int corps but that doesn't seem right, although it could be outsourced to civilian firms

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. I suspect that the answer is "the Civil Service", i.e. the MoD.

The logistics IT systems (i.e. Project JAMES) that were introduced to manage the various vehicle fleets, order parts, track stores et al will do it for G4. APC will do it for G1 matters, and I suspect the various tools that are supposed to track training do something similar for G3. Perhaps the annual unit reports that filter up to HQ LAND were the older paper-based equivalent.

In other words, a number of large IT systems, introduced at different times by different contractors for different purposes, and implemented using different systems. It would be nice to think that there was an overarching strategy that was intended to try and converge all of this stuff into a decent "corporate" IT infrastructure, and perhaps able to mine the data for useful intelligence about the state of the whole Armed Forces...
  3. It would be nice to think that, wouldn't it. But deep in your heart you know each system won't talk to the other system and in the end some poor Lance Jack somewhere has to hammer all the shit together into a 'nice' package that the CGS can present to the CDS once a year before he bastadizes that one with the Navy's one and the RAF's one and takes it to the Minister.
  4. I suspected that answer, I was involved with DMICP (medics) and the ETL/migration - as a civilian of course.

Funny as its one area the NHS has to keep in house, they know their data better than anyone else (which should apply to army also)

5. Most systems will talk to each other, it just seems the MOD doesn't understand that (or won't pay for it). [just checked some defence sites and this area was again absent]

Why get the information and then just revert it to paper (or even spreadsheets). It's not exactly exploiting the digital battlespace.

I know the yanks do this and use middleware I'm familiar with (on medics systems there is a degree of commonality or was - it could be interoperable if asked, same with NHS interfaces.)

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, it could. But if each division has developed it's own system, and the IT head-sheds are fiercely protective of THEIR system. Expect the day-rate cost over-runs to go through the roof. Do you imagine external consultants are queuing up to deal with the MoD because we find your conversation fascinating?
  7. There's a Management Information Branch (aka the Men in Black) at Army HQ that does this.
    It is staffed by Army and civilian personnel.
    Dealing with the vagaries of legacy systems is just part of the job; I really don't think the Army is alone in this.
    Why do you (OP) ask?
  8. Ah, I see.
    Sorry polar, haven't a scooby how they get recruited.
  9. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Polar you're asking an odd question - "business intelligence" in a corporate is a pretty straightforward area, they look at sales, overheads etc etc and can work out from that what services/commodities/manpower etc cost.

In the Services we an look either at the 'services' we supply or the services we consume (manpower) - so there will be differing elements that need different types of BI. DASA provide a huge portion of the latter and then pass it over to the 3 Services for their manpower people to pore over and manipulate as needed. The former, which I suspect centre around generating FE@S and FE@R, are produced between FLCs and DE&S.

The UK MoD doen't have an "IT Dept" as such, yet, but even if it had a consolidated entity I doubt whether it would go beyond offering commodities and services for wider consumption just as ISS does today because we're too diverse (rightly or wrongly).
  10. Happens in civdiv type govt orgs as well, the police have a myriad of systems developed over the years, held together with bits of string at times, and getting the various systems communicating/sharing gets ever more complex. Decision making loops on replacing the legacy items seems to get longer and longer, seemingly so that no-one will be blamed for making 'the' decision and spending dosh.

11. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

In part you can also look at the Cabinet Office and their increasingly long screwdriver for this, across all Government Departments. They have created so many rules and policies to be followed procurements just simply cannot be agile in any sense. Their ICT strategy was all well and good but followed up my a myriad of other policies that just constrain common sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Marry me.