Business Forum

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Balleh, Jul 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There must be many ex-military who are now in commerce and who would welcome the opportunity of doing business together or just discussing matters of mutual interest.

So how about there being a Business Section?

A sort of ARRSE equivalent of LinkedIn.

2. That sounds an excellent idea.

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

There's a 'Reunions and Networking (Social and Business)' forum already. Are you proposing something more focused?

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We tried this and organising a SW small-business meeting and it went absolutely nowhere. I'd actually like to cut down the number of forums so I while I think / thought it was a good idea I'm not going to try it again yet.

5. Whilst I enjoy reading it from time to time I feel the Reunion’s forum is very slanted to military experiences. Nothing wrong with that, but commercial/business aspects would be overwhelmed by the other topics. So the answer to your question is Yes.

I’m not suggesting that the forum should arrange meetings. That would be up to individuals to organise - and pay for.

It would merely be a place where ex-military could discuss matters of mutual commercial interest and hopefully they might do business with each other. It used to be called the "old boy network". Well, the whole world has now discovered how effective it is so no reason why the ex-military should not take advantage of the situation.

Personally, all other things being equal, I am more inclined to do business with an ex-military before someone who has not served. Conversely, I have often felt that prospective clients who have served, have had a certain confidence in me and my company's abilities to provide the service they want. Can't prove it; it's just a feeling.

I appreciate that there may be many members of ARRSE who are not ex-military so the COs would have to make a policy decision. If it is to restrict membership to those who have served, individuals would have to give details of their service such as is required by The List. A programming cost.

My suggestion does also raise the point that ARRSE might then be in competition with The List; again the COs’ decision. The competition might be good but given its membership ARRSE does have a bit of head start (The List membership on LinkedIn = 600) and it could be a revenue earner from business to business ads as distinct from mainly business to consumer ads which feature elsewhere in ARRSE.

Finally, in most business fora, LinkedIn for example, members use their real names and I think posters would want to have that, which means the forum would be a rather separate entity; another thing to be considered re programming and peoples’ use of the site.

So, having made the suggestion have I now killed it?!

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Actually I've just realised - the way to do this on here is to use the Groups function. That effectively gives a private forum, gallery and email system to a group. I'd certainly be interested in an ARRSE business group and I'm sure others would too. I do agree that it's an excellent idea.

I don't necessarily think the names / anonymity is a show-stopper. Many people are reasonably open in PMs and so on and a private group would be no different. 3RTR (the largest ARRSE private group) certainly don't hold back.
    Would you mind starting one Balleh? - just go to 'Groups', start a new group and choose:

Group Type = Moderated

and tick "Users must join to view content"

I'll promote it in the newsletter / front page and of course join.

7. Ye Gods,

Now you are asking me to get dirty and do techie stuff!

I am away for the next few days so I will do try to it shortly. Should I have consumed a glass or three of wine before I do it or should I be stone cold sober?!

Hope to goodness I don't foul it up.

8. Will there be a link on here? I'd like to give it a go but I'm not sure where I'd go to 'sign up'.

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Once it's up and running, click on 'Groups' up there^ to the right of 'Last 50+'.

10. Thanks for that Sixty

11. I'm in, when it starts

12. Well, it's there.

It's a bit primitive - no images etc. - but if anyone has ideas as to how to make the presentation better do let me know.

13. Nice one Balleh. I am in and have posted.

14. Good CO,

I have PMd you concerning Group Leader(s), then I remembered that you get hundreds of them and they take time to read, so herewith the questions.

Is it possible to have more than one Group Leader in the event one gets overloaded or away etc?

If it is, how is it done because I could not find anything about it.

If it can't be done how does one cater for my being busy or away?

I also asked how to vet people. Any thoughts and what is the mechanism? Is there a form one can construct?

Regards

Balleh

15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Great work. I've answered the PMs although not very helpfully. I'll advertise the group next week and in the newsletter. I'm being dragged around the baby shops of Bristol at the moment so I'm limited in how much I can do straight away. I'm very keen to see the Business group grow though so will do what I can to promote it.