• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Business Dead Pool 2013

Predicting the demise of those celebrities on the A List through the Z List of the rich, famous or powerful has been a rewarding and satisfying pastime for Arrsers with a good set of highly rubbed crystal balls able to foresee someone popping their clogs.

Do we have a similar thread for predicting those major High Street businesses that either have their life support unplugged by the administrators or are being wheeled in to intensive care?

In the past few months there has been a rush of candidates with Clinton Cards, JJB Sports, Blockbusters, Comet, Jessops and HMV all putting heir names forward. Honda are laying off workforce but they're just 'feeling unwell' and not going to kick the bucket (not exactly 'High Street' either)

Makes you wonder what the High Street of 2014 will look like... Row after row of Poundland, 99p Stores, Robert Dyas, Wilkinson or charity shops of every sort....

GAME seems a certain slow death
WHSmith has tried shuffling things around but still seems to be struggling
Millets seemed to be devoid of customers other than the pre-christmas rush...

Who's going to be left? We can't ALL just shop in Tesco or online can we?

We can't ALL just shop in Tesco or online can we?
Don't you believe it. Look at the last 10 year as to how much the 'shopping' habits of the nation has moved on. We are driven by price, not service or quality.

I cannot remember where I heard this but it goes something like this "If I only own one object, let it be one of quality" now it is "If I only own one object, let it be cheap". Sad world

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't I suggest this thread? Just checking like.

Clinton's, Argos, and any one of your large bookshops. I'll say WH Smith's, but I think they are trying to expand more into an online entity than a high street presence.

Glorified newsagents either way.

PC World next, despite their online presence, or they will chop off one of their other arms, currys and dixons.

They just cannot cope with the chinese online shops which are knocking stuff out on a massive scale for a cheaper price with no overheads and mostly importing staright from China to your front door. Fuck knows how they get away with it.

Looking to see how the 'budget' hotel game will go down this year.

We appear to have about 20 extra rooms per night compared to last year and the prices seem set at about £20 higher than usual. Can't last much longer. I reckon companies would sooner give their guys a tent to put up outside of a road services before they start paying £70 on average for shit rooms for them.

Didn't I suggest this thread? Just checking like..
dammit....
Post #7 in the HMV thread in Current Affairs which I'm now reading through..... (so much to read on this site and so little time} A good read though...

Perhaps it would be better to start "ONLINE Retail Dead Pool 2013" ? Now THAT would be a much harder list to come up with.........

P

Prefect

To die:
1 - Hotel Chocolat
2 - Thorntons
3 - WH Smith
4 - Homebase (too expensive compared with rivals)

Growth areas:
1 - Market stall holders getting a free 3 month rent then buggering off
2 - Spaz scooter hire
3 - Temporary cheap oak furniture showrooms

Actual 'shops' are just fucked now.

I was looking for a game for the xbox the other day and popped into GAME (which used to be Gamestation down here) and noted that a pre-owned copy was £35. I then happened to be picking up some shopping in Sainsbury's and saw the same game for £25 brand new. Considered buying it but left it for now. On ebay later that night I could buy a copy of the game for £18.

People will normally take the cheaper option.

Hopefully:

Argos
Currys
PC World
WH Smith
Seconded. Can't remember the last time I bought anything from WH Smith. The last thing from Argos was an electric kettle months ago but only because they are close by and SWMBO was flapping. Currys and PC World - greedy cunts, wouldn't buy anything from them ever.

P

Prefect

Actual 'shops' are just fucked now.

I was looking for a game for the xbox the other day and popped into GAME (which used to be Gamestation down here) and noted that a pre-owned copy was £35. I then happened to be picking up some shopping in Sainsbury's and saw the same game for £25 brand new. Considered buying it but left it for now. On ebay later that night I could buy a copy of the game for £18.

People will normally take the cheaper option.
Ive got a nice app on my phone that lets you scan a barcode and it then tells you the price on Amazon. Only bad thing is it doesnt give you the option of free delivery but if you can wait till you get home you can just log on as normal and get it that way. Doesn't always work to the disadvantage of the shop either.

Ive got a nice app on my phone that lets you scan a barcode and it then tells you the price on Amazon. Only bad thing is it doesnt give you the option of free delivery but if you can wait till you get home you can just log on as normal and get it that way. Doesn't always work to the disadvantage of the shop either.
That isn't the only bad thing.

You need to stand about like a tit scanning barcodes with your phone :)

You have a point about it not always being at a disadvantage to the shop, though. I have noticed that buying something in the store is usually more expensive than buying the same product - from the same store - over the internet. This makes no sense to me as surely sorting the thing out, dispatching and delivering it is more of a pain in the arse than handing it over to the customer in front of you.

That isn't the only bad thing.

You need to stand about like a tit scanning barcodes with your phone :)

You have a point about it not always being at a disadvantage to the shop, though. I have noticed that buying something in the store is usually more expensive than buying the same product - from the same store - over the internet. This makes no sense to me as surely sorting the thing out, dispatching and delivering it is more of a pain in the arse than handing it over to the customer in front of you.
The physical shop and the staff need paying for and the goods still need delivering to the store. Also if you send stock to a store if it's not sold it has to get transported back eventually or to another store. If it's online everything just sits in the warehouse and gets picked when it's ordered and then despatched.

The physical shop and the staff need paying for and the goods still need delivering to the store. Also if you send stock to a store if it's not sold it has to get transported back eventually or to another store. If it's online everything just sits in the warehouse and gets picked when it's ordered and then despatched.
So this is pretty much the future for retail then?

Latest Threads