bushnell red green dot sights any good?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by HARDMAN476, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I tried the pistol version on both M1911A1 and S&W Model 41 as bifocals were not working well with sighting. Not much better than MMC iron sights. When I got new "continuously variable" glasses the iron sight picture improved and the Bushnell went to the back of the gun safe.

Not sure as to current usage on M16 but I have seen M4's with what I believe is an IR laser sight.

2. Are you still here? P_F, this wah was funny at first, but lost its way when you started to flog the arrse out of it and it ended up in the hole.
    Starting another thread with this username, a thread which strangely doesn't seem to be even remotely controversial except for the fact it's in the wrong forum, is a bit weird. What are you up to? Hmmm?

That's it! You're not the real Hardmong, but someone else (someone who can spell). You are Lobby Lud (or possibly Leapy Lee for all I know) and I claim my five pounds. :D

4. Joe,

I think you'll find that there are plenty of military, police, and civilian shooters who use red dots (the new ACOG for the SA 80 has one on top, for instance).

Useless over about 100 m since the dot tends to obscure what you are shooting at, and despite manufacturers claims that they are parallax free, they aren't. Even at 50-100 m you have to be quite careful to centre the dot in the lens otherwise parallax errors can be quite large. They are brilliant for quick aiming at short range though!

Perhaps you are confusing them with lasers, which are pants and best left to Hollywood and walts.

5. HARDMONG476 IS STILL ALIVE!

6. Spot on Stoatman, I had an M2 Aimpoint issued a couple of years back. While it was new and shiney, and very gucci indeed, I wasn't too keen on it, and would much rather have had an Elcan instead.

Some of the other lads who had them were very pleased with them though and could get quite decent groupings at 200m.

As you say the 'parallax free' thing is nonsense

7. Spot on Stoatman, I had an M2 Aimpoint issued a couple of years back. While it was new and shiney, and very gucci indeed, I wasn't too keen on it, and would much rather have had an Elcan instead.

Some of the other lads who had them were very pleased with them though and could get quite decent groupings at 200m.

As you say the 'parallax free' thing is nonsense[/quote]

what was the M.O.A of the dot for shooting at 200m?

8. I haven't got a scooby.

I think the dot is set at 4 MOA, but don't quote me on it. The only thing the shooter can adjust is the brightness of the dot.

9. We have EO Tech holosights on the Gimpys and Miniguns onboard ship and they are cracking bits of kit.

10. i might try it out on top of a ruger 10/22

11. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Have got red dot sight on Susat.

12. What are your chances of seeing a 3mm red dot at 200m? Nil. Therefore I conclude that you'll be using an optical sight of some description to see the dot. Which begs the question; why not just use the optical sight? Or, heaven forbid, become a good enough shot to hit a "tin hat target" (whatever that is) with iron sights. It's only 200m, after all.

13. I can get keyholes on a 25m range with most red dots, but the best has to be the Russian made Cobra Holosight.

Tough as old boots and with the finest multi reticle you will ever find, very accurate both eyes open shooting is easy.

14. Eh? Don't you know what a red dot sight is? The dot is only a few inches from your eye, not two hundred metres away.