Bushfire season starting early in 2019

Watching the news over the past week or so about the widespread bushfires across eastern Australia shows what a bad season this year looks like being. While not loss of life, I was sad to read of the destruction of a place for which I had fond family memories.

Binna Burra Lodge, pictured before the fire. Picture: Supplied

'A bushfire which has destroyed a Gold Coast hinterland “precious resource” will remain a threat to property for days. The heritage-listed Binna Burra Lodge, built in 1933, in Lamington National Park has been “fully destroyed”, Scenic Rim mayor Greg Christensen said on Sunday. Footage shows the lodge’s structures blackened, flattened and mangled, with difficult terrain and narrow roads making it impossible for firefighters to save.'

E2A: bolded for the hard at reading.

Last edited:
Spent a lot of time travelling in Oz, last trip 2 years back.
Trip before in 2005, I drove from Albury/Wodonga, detoured a bit via Stirling Hills.
It had been ravaged a good while before then but it was depressing to drive through square miles of blackened ash & death frankly.
Never the less, Oz rello ( NSW Trucker born & bred hard nut) said something he'd not say in general fellow Oz company...words to the effect of the Aboriginals have dealt with it over tens of thousands of years.....whites can't & never will.

words to the effect of the Aboriginals have dealt with it over tens of thousands of years.....whites can't & never will.
I've heard that put another way: "White man never understand why black man sit in the shade of a tree in what to white man is a giant wheat paddock, says black man lazy good for nothing. Black man never understand why white man can go into virgin bush and still perish in the midst of plenty of everything!"

Never the less, Oz rello ( NSW Trucker born & bred hard nut) said something he'd not say in general fellow Oz company...words to the effect of the Aboriginals have dealt with it over tens of thousands of years.....whites can't & never will.
The joy of living in Stone Age conditions: a hunter-gatherer society with effectively no cultivation, no fixed infrastructure and no population centres.

I've heard that put another way: "White man never understand why black man sit in the shade of a tree in what to white man is a giant wheat paddock, says black man lazy good for nothing. Black man never understand why white man can go into virgin bush and still perish in the midst of plenty of everything!"
Joe,
You may well appreciate why my B-in-L ( very well self educated & read) keeps his views to himself.
You know what it's like "for realzeezs.";)

You mean like....Jaywick, Preston & Hull?
If you count chippies and kebab shops as 'hunter-gatherer' then I'd agree with regard to De-Pressed-Town and Hell, but I've never been to Jaywick so can't comment on that one.

Last edited:
If you count chippies and kebab shops as 'hunter-gatherer' then I'd agree with regard to De-Pressed-Ton and Hell, but I've never been to Jaywick so can't comment on that one.
Do a Google on Jaywick.
Only make sure you are sitting down and have taken any required medication beforehand. :oops:

Do a Google on Jaywick.
Only make sure you are sitting down and have taken any required medication beforehand. :oops:
Jaysus; hopefully global climate change and rising sea levels will provide a solution.:eek:

@Banker, how are things over your way?

On Monday evening, 73 fires were burning from the southeast corner to the Cairns hinterland, although that figure has fluctuated throughout the day.

• Police have declared a bushfire emergency situation and homes have reportedly been lost at Peregian Springs north of the Sunshine Coast.

• Conditions are getting worse at a bushfire in Peregian Springs, Peregian Beach, Peregian Breeze Estate and Marcus Beach.

• As of 8.25pm, the fast-moving fire was travelling in east, northeast from Emu Mountain Road and expected to hit Peregian Beach and Marcus Beach.

• The police declared emergency zone is bounded by Old Emu Mountain Road, David Low Way, the Sunshine Coast Motorway and Podargus Parade.

@Banker, how are things over your way?
Warned for evacuation mate.......Peregian is the next village south of us, dozen or so houses lost, ditto pub and supermarket I'm hearing.....but rumour mill unreliable. Only bush between us and them, sky orange, but can't smell smoke yet. Hope the wind direction is kind.

Warned for evacuation mate.......Peregian is the next village south of us, dozen or so houses lost, ditto pub and supermarket I'm hearing.....but rumour mill unreliable. Only bush between us and them, sky orange, but can't smell smoke yet. Hope the wind direction is kind.
Bushfires are always a bastard. Stay safe and good luck.

Latest Threads