Bush threatens veto in ports row

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4737940.stm

What is this row about exactly? Last time I looked, UAE wasn't on the list of the axis of evil , so why is there such a tremendous outcry about this? It's not as if DPW are going to be controlling the security at these ports is it?

Or did the constant and relentless bombardment of the American people through Fcux news , talk radio and the rest with "Everyone East of the Med is bad" finally backfire , and in spades?

I'm looking around various American fora/forii and there is a lot of anger here, and I don't think they get that UAE isn't actually fighting America at the moment.... 8O

Hang on, are the Maktoum (sic) family involved in DPW?

National Review does the headless chicken......

2. Well, I'm in Dubai now. Politically, the country is an ally in everything and is home for (I think) the largest US airbase in the Gulf region (in Al Ain.. one of those invisible bases that everyone sees). Generally speaking, the older generations are strictly pro-European and anti-American but the younger ones don't give a cr@p what's going on.

I don't get what the row is all about, but who cares anyway?

3. actually this was started by certain Democract Senators (hint, female, looking for a Prez slot) who reckon they needed to impress the home crowd.

The locals are amused by the recent postering but are confident the sale will go through. As someone has said, P&O is already of Foreign owned company (Or are we already the 51st state!)

(PtP, what's your excuse for being up so early 8O )

4. Working PY - It's quiet , just the radio burbling in the background and compiling some code.

Just wondered why all of a sudden, there is a row over this, they certainly weren't jumping around when P+O were on the case.

Still Bellaciao are straight on the Bacofoil , and have linked all sorts of stuff, though they did miss the Knights Templar and the Greys this time ( but I think they got the illumin*ti in again) :D

http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=10550

5. It is quite simple - the 9/11 terrorists mostly flew out of the UAE when they came to the US, and they got funds from Saudia Arabia via the UAE, the UAE did not co-operate as much as the Americans would have liked post 9/11 so therefore the UAE is a hot-bed of islamic terrorists. Rather than smuggling things into the country like everybody else does, the bacofoil crowd believes these terrorists are going to spend a few billion to buy the ports and use their ownership to compromise the security of the US by smuggling terrorist materiel into the country and covering their tracks by falsifying the security records / shipping manifests / security procedures.

As Chertoff said just because Richard Reid was British, that doesn't stop us from letting the British invest in the US.

6. No, it's even simpler than that.

Arabs = Bad Guys.

Certain politicans are playing to their electorate. That can't really be that stupid can they?

At least Bush is being sensible about this.

7. Am I the only one who finds this statement very frightening?

8. Was listening to the debate about this on a talk show here in Florida and the guy said that ALL the container ports in the states are foreign owned and that only 5% of said containers are checked. Seems to me that if the UAE or Saudia Arabia or Uncle Tom Cobbley had wanted to do harm via that medium then it would have already have happened. Security is and always will be the responsibility of the American authorities, principally the Coast Guard irrespective of who owns the firms. This is about politics.

9. I had to read it half a dozen times.

If Bush HAD been sensible , and if Rove and the rest hadn't been banging the "All Arabs bad" drum for so long , then this would have passed with minor comment.

The problem is they haven't , and to the supporters of the Republican right , it looks like Bush sold out to the Ay-rabys.

He-he :)

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Capitalism and the free marked, the cornerstone of American democracy which they want to export the world over. Great isn't it, so long as they like you.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Basically the US says democracy is best, unless they don’t like who gets elected. Capitalism and the free market rule, but only if the US benefits. Freedom of choice for all, so long as the US benefits. I was thinking more hypocrisy. :wink:

12. Its a percentage thing combined with the laws of probability. I refer you to the immortal Bob Newhart on his "infinite number of monkeys with typewriters" sketch. Statistically, within an infinite number of these primates, one would type the works of Shakespeare. The scenario was a huge warehouse where US academics were supervising an attempt. One such academic is heard to say "Hey, Bob, looks like we've got something here........'to be or not to be, that is the gezundenplatz'.......okay, maybe not".

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Mate don't get me wrong I'm all for self interest and I'm not deliberately trying to yank your chain but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it's a duck.

hy•poc•ri•sy
    Pronunciation: hi-'pä-kr&-sE also hI-
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -sies
    Etymology: Middle English ypocrisie, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrisis, from Greek hypokrisis act of playing a part on the stage, hypocrisy, from hypokrinesthai to answer, act on the stage, from hypo- + krinein to decide -- more at CERTAIN
    1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion
    2 : an act or instance of hypocrisy

My emphasis.

If you need proof open a newspaper :wink:

14. The problem is the Bushies tried to slip this by unnoticed. Now they will need to explain why this deal wont jeapordize national security. The dem's see this as an issue that they can use to improve their national security stature [which is very low]. They are whipping up fear to kill the deal. The deal is good from a foreign relations standpoint and port security will still be done by Custom's and the Coast Guard.

15. They tried to slip it through unnoticed, because they knew what the reaction was likely to be from the GOP faithful T6.

Has anyone started following the money yet?