Bush tells Israel to withdraw to 1967 borders and compensate

#1
Good grief! Who's been spiking his morning coffee with large does of common sense and realism?

BBC said:
Bush urges Israeli occupation end

US President George W Bush has said Israel must end occupation of Arab land taken in 1967 so that a viable Palestinian state can be created.

He also urged a solution to the Palestinian refugee issue which would involve paying compensation.

Cont/...
 
#2
Fine words - but I rather doubt we will see any buttered parsnips, in the form of real US pressure on Israel to play ball.
 
#3
Dilfor said:
Fine words - but I rather doubt we will see any buttered parsnips, in the form of real US pressure on Israel to play ball.
With the huge and powerful Zionist lobby group, AIPAC, that is extremely unlikely.
 
#4
Dilfor,

Are you suggesting, perchance, that this is a deliberate spoiling action by Bush and the GOP to leave the next president - a Democrat - seriously in the foreign diplomacy poo?

Wouldn't put it past them... :x
 
#5
He also said a peace agreement would require mutually agreed adjustments to the pre-1967 boundaries "to reflect current realities" - a reference to Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.
So no real change then.
 
#6
It's amazing that he has such clarity and insight now that his tenure is coming to an end and he no longer has to kow tow to the powerful Jewish lobby for their votes.
 
#7
Private_Pike said:
It's amazing that he has such clarity and insight now that his tenure is coming to an end and he no longer has to kow tow to the powerful Jewish lobby for their votes.
I thought most Jews seemed to vote Democrat?
 
#8
Rumpelstiltskin said:
He also said a peace agreement would require mutually agreed adjustments to the pre-1967 boundaries "to reflect current realities" - a reference to Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.
So no real change then.
Indeed. :x

The BBC has added to their report since I started the thread. That paragraph was non-existant originally. I now retract any positive thoughts that I had about all this. :x :x

Edited to add:
"mutually agreed" also has the resonance of 'never, and we know who we'll blame for that...'.
 
#9
Random_Task said:
Private_Pike said:
It's amazing that he has such clarity and insight now that his tenure is coming to an end and he no longer has to kow tow to the powerful Jewish lobby for their votes.
I thought most Jews seemed to vote Democrat?
In US, not all Jewish people are Zionist at all. Many where I live are progressive and do not agree with what Israel has done to the Palestinian people. However, even so, most mainstream Democratic candidates are cowed by AIPAC.

As to the septic republicans, many Jewish Zionists support them, but also the evangelical zealots, for incorrect theological reasons.
 
#10
ViolentBadger said:
Would that be the same International Law that the Arabs broke when they attacked in 1967 ?
Erm... strictly speaking, didn't the Israelis attack preemptively? Jordan had signed a mutual defence treaty with Egypt earlier that year, too...

EDIT: Bugger. Beaten to it.
 
#11
Sheesh Israel was set up in 1948 at the same time as a Palestinian state

It was promptly attacked by the Arab nations and has fought major wars in 48, 56, 67, 73 against its larger neighbours (fighting for its very survival).

The Palestinians left as refugees expecting to go back but due to the Israelis winning and being slightly miffed (cant understand why only 3 years after WW2) this left a large population in refugee camps. No one including the Arab countries wished the Palestinians to be integrated into their societys (much better to train and equip them to further the aims of destroying the Jews while they rebuilt and re-trained their forces)

America equipped the Israelis yes but before that it was Britain and France and their own arms industries ability to modify and improve on old obsolete kit or captured kit.

But Russia, France, UK and America also provided kit to the Arabs

America refused to give Israel kit unless it conceeded to border reductions in the past and its survival was never underwritten by the US

Only in one conflict did the US directly supply Israel during the fighting (tank ammo through an intermediary) and that was when Russia was stripping units in Europe of SAM due to the Arabs having used their supplies up and the Arab armies collapsing under the IAF attacks.

This could have led to a widening of the conflict which is why the US and USSR brokered for peace
 
#12
Posted deleted as it refers to a post by KGBResident which has now disappeared!

:?
 
#14
whitecity said:
Hello Sergey,

Never been to Israel myself, but my uncle went there in '72 to research the family tree and never came back. Last positive sighting of him was by his girlfriend of the time as he joined friends heading towards the Golan on October 7, 1973. It is assumed that he never came off the Golan.

Will you be celebrating New Year this weekend as I shall?
Hello Whitecity. As I see my post has been removed. Well, let it be.

Of course, we Russians celebrate 2 'New Years'

1. New Year
2. Old New Year.

I fancy that only you would understand what expression Old New Year means.

Returning to the theme of this thread I doubt that the agreement between Israel and the Palestinians would be reached soon.

Highly esteemed mr.Bush is not the first and not the last American president who tries (or pretends that he tries) to resolve the problem.

Btw, Russian speaking Israelis (i know it for sure) mainly are against Palestinian state.
 
#15
Is true that not all Palestinians favour Israel's destruction.

Is also true that Fatah had many Christians in it and, unlike Hamas, was not fundamentalist Muslim in nature.

Is also true that if your land was invaded and taken and you were put in refugee camps or worse, you would most like fight back. I would. :wink:

Finally, I don't see why this post should be deleted.
 
#16
KevinB said:
Is true that not all Palestinians favour Israel's destruction.

Is also true that Fatah had many Christians in it and, unlike Hamas, was not fundamentalist Muslim in nature.

Is also true that if your land was invaded and taken and you were put in refugee camps or worse, you would most like fight back. I would. :wink:

Finally, I don't see why this post should be deleted.
It won't be, only posts where I describe palestinian terrorists as s*** get deleted , quite how that can be construed as racist is beyond me.
 
#17
KevinB said:
Is true that not all Palestinians favour Israel's destruction.
I'm sure you're right but the palestinian people voted in hamas, a terrorist group that seeks the destruction of Israel.
 
#18
bit of bad idea withdrawing to 1967 borders, giving up many strategic locations, notably the Golan Height which the Syrians used to shell Jewish cities.

now while the Isrealis are no saints, neither were the Arabs, if the Isrealis had lost ANY of the wars , they can expect Mass excecutions, raped, Tortured, home damaged and burned out, when thats over the Arabs will fight each other.

many captured Isreali soldiers were executed after being tortured, after teh Golan Height was recaptured there were many dead Isreali prisoner found.

I have never trusted the Arabs to keep their word, many deals were done only for the Arabs to break them, if I was Isreali I would fight tooth and nail knowing the alternative is Death.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#19
semper said:
bit of bad idea withdrawing to 1967 borders, giving up many strategic locations, notably the Golan Height which the Syrians used to shell Jewish cities.

now while the Isrealis are no saints, neither were the Arabs, if the Isrealis had lost ANY of the wars , they can expect Mass excecutions, raped, Tortured, home damaged and burned out, when thats over the Arabs will fight each other.

many captured Isreali soldiers were executed after being tortured, after teh Golan Height was recaptured there were many dead Isreali prisoner found.

I have never trusted the Arabs to keep their word, many deals were done only for the Arabs to break them, if I was Isreali I would fight tooth and nail knowing the alternative is Death.
You'd better phone the White House and tell them George W is fucking up then. I expect they'll be glad of the benefit of your experience.
 
#20
ViolentBadger said:
KevinB said:
Is true that not all Palestinians favour Israel's destruction.
I'm sure you're right but the palestinian people voted in hamas, a terrorist group that seeks the destruction of Israel.
Is true, they did, but only after finally getting sick of the lack of progress made by Fatah. The lack of progress is due to intransigence on the part of Israel and US and the corruption on the part of Fatah.

That being said, I can certainly understand why the Palestinians would fight back - if my nation were illegally occupied, I certainly would.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top