Bush strikes again. Isnt anything sacred anymore?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Devil_Dog, Jan 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2007/01/04/BL2007010400803.html

This a travesty against everything America holds dear. The right to privacy has taken another hit in the guts. What next? A goverment minder in my bedroom?

I'd like to see Tripwire defend this.

2. Might go some way to explaining how some of my Christmas presents went astray in the post!

3. I feel your pain. My blowup doll is taking too long to get here. Why do I have the nagging suspicion that someone at Homeland Security (or as I like to call it the Gestapo) is getting his rocks off even as we speak?

Fecking c.unts. the whole bunch of them.

4. I really would like tosee anyone defend this as 'if You have nothing to hide'

5. Bush is becoming like our bad old King John.
    In a bill passed in autumn, Bush granted himself the authority to personally decide the level of physical and mental coercion that could be used when interrogating suspects.
    I ask you - the president personally?

Soon there will be dungeons in the White house basement.

6. Do you happen to have a link to that, SLRboy?

MsG

7. Don't worry - Bush is cruising for impeachment, with his ridiculous "surge" strategy, and this adds to the crime sheet. Wait until this summer when the UN mandate expires. Cheney will go as well. How very fitting, in the year of Gerald Ford's death.

8. Bugsy,
    It was in a signing statement I believe that he added to something called the Military Tribunal commisions act.

there is plenty of articles on the web.
    sorry no direct links at the moment.
    I assure you though its not paranoia on my part - this is G. bushwe are talking about after all.

9. Bugsy,
    sorry mate its the military commisions act.
    here is a snippit from wiki, but there is plenty of other comment on this insane and dangerous act.

(The Act has also been denounced by critics who assert that its wording makes possible the permanent detention and torture (as defined by the Geneva Conventions) of anyone - including American citizens - based solely on the decision of the President.[17] Indeed, the wording of section 948b[18] of the act appears to explicitly contradict the Third Geneva Convention of which the United States is currently a signatory.

In the House debate, Representative David Wu of Oregon offered this scenario:

Let us say that my wife, who is here in the gallery with us tonight, a sixth generation Oregonian, is walking by the friendly, local military base and is picked up as an unlawful enemy combatant. What is her recourse? She says, I am a U.S. citizen. That is a jurisdictional fact under this statute, and she will not have recourse to the courts? She can take it to Donald Rumsfeld, but she cannot take it across the street to an article 3 court.[19])

10. Mr deputy,
    to your post all I can say is WOW!
    every phone a listening device?

11. Nothing surprises me anymore. I just bought an extended lease for my flat. I had to pay a tax of course (£40 more for the Chancellor to squander) but I was obliged to record my National Insurance Number on the form!!!! George Orwell could not imagined the police state we have become.

12. Fantasy.

13. Sven, if you have nothing to hide let them open your mail. Oh and while you're at it, where did you say you stood on ID cards recently??

14. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6682846

Listen to the story and then tell me we are far better than the people we are fighting.

We are becoming them.

15. Oh dear Devildog,
    read the link you posted.

How ashamed you must sometimes feel to be an American at this time.
    But if its any consolation lots of us British know that whats going on isn't in the real American spirit.

To remind me of what America is really about I often listen to
    'The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death' by John Fahey.
    just him and his guitar captures the real soul of America. try it out.