Bush strikes again. Isnt anything sacred anymore?

I feel your pain. My blowup doll is taking too long to get here. Why do I have the nagging suspicion that someone at Homeland Security (or as I like to call it the Gestapo) is getting his rocks off even as we speak?

Fecking c.unts. the whole bunch of them.

Bush is becoming like our bad old King John.
In a bill passed in autumn, Bush granted himself the authority to personally decide the level of physical and mental coercion that could be used when interrogating suspects.
I ask you - the president personally?

Soon there will be dungeons in the White house basement.

Do you happen to have a link to that, SLRboy?

MsG

Don't worry - Bush is cruising for impeachment, with his ridiculous "surge" strategy, and this adds to the crime sheet. Wait until this summer when the UN mandate expires. Cheney will go as well. How very fitting, in the year of Gerald Ford's death.

Bugsy,
It was in a signing statement I believe that he added to something called the Military Tribunal commisions act.

there is plenty of articles on the web.
sorry no direct links at the moment.
I assure you though its not paranoia on my part - this is G. bushwe are talking about after all.

Bugsy,
sorry mate its the military commisions act.
here is a snippit from wiki, but there is plenty of other comment on this insane and dangerous act.

(The Act has also been denounced by critics who assert that its wording makes possible the permanent detention and torture (as defined by the Geneva Conventions) of anyone - including American citizens - based solely on the decision of the President.[17] Indeed, the wording of section 948b[18] of the act appears to explicitly contradict the Third Geneva Convention of which the United States is currently a signatory.

In the House debate, Representative David Wu of Oregon offered this scenario:

Let us say that my wife, who is here in the gallery with us tonight, a sixth generation Oregonian, is walking by the friendly, local military base and is picked up as an unlawful enemy combatant. What is her recourse? She says, I am a U.S. citizen. That is a jurisdictional fact under this statute, and she will not have recourse to the courts? She can take it to Donald Rumsfeld, but she cannot take it across the street to an article 3 court.[19])

Mr deputy,
to your post all I can say is WOW!
every phone a listening device?

Nothing surprises me anymore. I just bought an extended lease for my flat. I had to pay a tax of course (£40 more for the Chancellor to squander) but I was obliged to record my National Insurance Number on the form!!!! George Orwell could not imagined the police state we have become.

the US now has the righ to turn any mobile phone into a listening device anywhere in the world. Even if not switched on - they can actually switch it on and use it as a remote listening device.
Fantasy.

Sven, if you have nothing to hide let them open your mail. Oh and while you're at it, where did you say you stood on ID cards recently??

Bugsy said:
Do you happen to have a link to that, SLRboy?

MsG
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6682846

A court-ordered psychiatric evaluation is to be completed this week on Jose Padilla, the American held without charge for nearly four years as an enemy combatant. Whatever the judge decides, the Padilla case is an extraordinary legal saga that poses significant difficulties for the government.

The story begins on May 8, 2002, when Padilla, a 31-year-old American citizen returning from Egypt, was arrested at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago
Listen to the story and then tell me we are far better than the people we are fighting.

We are becoming them.

Oh dear Devildog,
read the link you posted.

How ashamed you must sometimes feel to be an American at this time.
But if its any consolation lots of us British know that whats going on isn't in the real American spirit.

To remind me of what America is really about I often listen to
'The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death' by John Fahey.
just him and his guitar captures the real soul of America. try it out.

on the subject of our own home grown surveillance society, on a recent continental day trip, I got pulled over by our friends from HMRC.

whilst having a quantity of alcohol (for personal festive consumption over the next few years!) in the car, it wasn't packed to the gunnels nor particulalry obtrusive to any HMRC wandering around on the car deck on the trip back.

On asking why i was pulled I was told it was because the car had been recently bought/sold.

So there you go DVLA share info with HMRC, and taking your new car for a spin on non speed camerared(sic) continental auto routes is a suspicious activity.

copious quantities of high quality booze didn't get seized TF

Through their treatment of him, the American authorities have so un kiltered the mind of Jose Padilla that were it a computer, one would have to un install and re install the operating system.
But of course he is a human being so that is not an option.

Well done Bush you total git, for all we know he could of been Osama's b'itch but now we will never know one way or the other, you cnut.

In the summer of last year, I was reading on the Huffington an article by someone who was absolutely furious at the way terrorist suspects were already being treated and the further idiotic counter productive measures Bush, Rumsfeld and particularly Cheney wanted to introduce.

I was well impressed by the man's well expressed arguments and his passion against torture.
So I went to the top of the page and checked his bio.

And nice one, no way could the lame brains consider this bloke a bleeding heart liberal, he was only a recently retired command sergeant major and founder member of Delta Force.

Forgot his name...Eric something or other.

(By the way Isquared, don't worry about Big Bro. on that occasion.
They had a understandable and identifiable reason for wanting your N.I. no.
It was in order that you could be traced if you did a bunk owing money.
It was still a cheek of them to ask though and whether they had a legal right to that info god only knows.)

SLRboy said:
Through their treatment of him, the American authorities have so un kiltered the mind of Jose Padilla that were it a computer, one would have to un install and re install the operating system.
But of course he is a human being so that is not an option.

Well done Bush you total git, for all we know he could of been Osama's b'itch but now we will never know one way or the other, you cnut.

In the summer of last year, I was reading on the Huffington an article by someone who was absolutely furious at the way terrorist suspects were already being treated and the further idiotic counter productive measures Bush, Rumsfeld and particularly Cheney wanted to introduce.

I was well impressed by the man's well expressed arguments and his passion against torture.
So I went to the top of the page and checked his bio.

And nice one, no way could the lame brains consider this bloke a bleeding heart liberal, he was only a recently retired command sergeant major and founder member of Delta Force.

Forgot his name...Eric something or other.

(By the way Isquared, don't worry about Big Bro. on that occasion.
They had a understandable and identifiable reason for wanting your N.I. no.
It was in order that you could be traced if you did a bunk owing money.
It was still a cheek of them to ask though and whether they had a legal right to that info god only knows.)
How do You know He was who he claimed to be. How do You know He wasn't the editor of the 'Huff'.

Blogs are fine for letting off steam - believing them though is for the incredibly naive

You think I'm a total tool or something?
It was a commisioned article on the huffingtonpost.com not a chat room.

EX_STAB said:
the US now has the righ to turn any mobile phone into a listening device anywhere in the world. Even if not switched on - they can actually switch it on and use it as a remote listening device.
Fantasy.
NOT fantasy!

The USA might not have the right to do this, but this can be done.

Phones are never really off unless the battery is dead or removed, hence why your phone keeps the correct time when you switch it back on. All it takes is a software update (which can be applied remotely without your knowledge or permission) to keep the transmitter operating at normal power and the mic turned on when you think its really turned off. Given that it can also be located to within a cell (couple 100m's from network transmitter) it really is the ultimate mass surveillance device.

The only protection is in numbers, as they don't yet have the capability to listen in on 60 million people simultaneously. But if they wanted to monitor you via your mobile, then they could.

Scary eh?

TB

[edited for spelling]