Bush releases parts of classified terrorism report

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Sep 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bush releases parts of classified terrorism report

IHT Link here

2. Found this which makes a good point. When you cherry pick you can make the NIE sound as if it is supporting your position.

"I have to suppress a chuckle as I quote the key clause in the NIE for purpose of the Times' foray into asymmetric Election '06 propaganda warfare:

The Iraq conflict has become the cause celebre for jihadists, breeding a deep resentment of US involvement in the Muslim world and cultivating supporters for the global jihadist movement. Should jihadists leaving Iraq perceive themselves, and be perceived, to have failed, we judge fewer fighters will be inspired to carry on the fight.

In retrospect I am so glad that the Times suppressed the second sentence in this finding and thus assumed poll-position in the race to go down as the Official Laughinstock of the '06 Election. Here's more:

If democratic reform efforts in Muslim majority nations progress over the next five years, political participation probably would drive a wedge between intransigent extremists and groups willing to use the political process to achieve their local objectives. Nonetheless, attendant reforms and potentially destabilizing transitions will create new opportunities for jihadists to exploit.

Funny how the New York Times left that bit out hmm?

3. . . . as have BBC Radio 4 so far, and probably the rest of the UK press - which is no doubt in line (unintentionally, I accept) with what Govt requires: the widespread dissemination of an inaccurate and optimistic, if unreliable, soundbite summary of a report that will never be read by 99% of UK voters, and barely a larger selection of elected representatives.

Did you not listen to the BBC report from the Labour party love in at the 'pay-to-view your leader' end-of-PartyConference p*ssup on the news this a.m?

All these dozy lads and lassses, still besotted with TB, and seemingly oblivious of the mess TB has committed the UK to in IRQ/AFG?? :x :x :x :x :x

4. King George does not agree. Just seen him say so.
    Can't quote him word for word but he's still trying to imply that if HE hadn't invade Iraq then al Qada would have had a safe base.
    john
    He's barking but still fair enough the Yanks must luv him.
    His poodle however has dragged us down to the levels of comtempt with which the US is now held world wide.

5. Georgie personally authorised the release of this report - so that the press would cherrypick bits that suggest 'winning' in Iraq will lead to the end of terrorism.

Joe Public in downtown Peoria, Illinois is not going to read this in full, let alone critically and intelligently. :( :( :( :(