Bush given plan to seize Pakistans nuclear arsenal

#1
The man who devised the Bush administration's Iraq troop surge has urged the US to consider sending elite troops to Pakistan to seize its nuclear weapons if the country descends into chaos.

In a series of scenarios drawn up for Pakistan, Frederick Kagan, a former West Point military historian, has called for the White House to consider various options for an unstable Pakistan.

These include: sending elite British or US troops to secure nuclear weapons capable of being transported out of the country and take them to a secret storage depot in New Mexico or a "remote redoubt" inside Pakistan;
In full

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,,2220126,00.html
 
#2
Ha thats nothing, when we were there helping with the eartquake a while back the local newspapers were proclaiming thats exactly what we were there to do. so they already know!
 
#3
There's a hidden agenda in most recent US relief efforts in Asia.

The American effort in the tsunami 3 years ago was probably used as a dress rehersal for the deployment of transport aircraft to expeditionary bases in South East Asia under the cover of aid flight flights.

Bush was on record as saying'they're only Asians" in the days after the tsunami in late 2004.
 
#6
Le_addeur_noir said:
There's a hidden agenda in most recent US relief efforts in Asia.

The American effort in the tsunami 3 years ago was probably used as a dress rehersal for the deployment of transport aircraft to expeditionary bases in South East Asia under the cover of aid flight flights.

Bush was on record as saying'they're only Asians" in the days after the tsunami in late 2004.
Is that for real? Do you have a confirming source?
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#7
I hope to God that there is a plan - or lots of plans - to secure these warheads. They are reasonably safe in Pakistan now, as they are to deter India but if an islamic state came into existence?

They cannot be allowed to fall into such hands.
 
#8
OldSnowy said:
I hope to God that there is a plan - or lots of plans - to secure these warheads. They are reasonably safe in Pakistan now, as they are to deter India but if an islamic state came into existence?

They cannot be allowed to fall into such hands.
Indeed. As it is Islamofascists already tend to misbehave with box cutters (9/11), TATP (7/7), cars/petrol (29-30/6/07), TNT, RPGs and AK47s.

Just wait till they get nukes.
 
#9
armchair_jihad said:
The man who devised the Bush administration's Iraq troop surge has urged the US to consider sending elite troops to Pakistan to seize its nuclear weapons if the country descends into chaos.

In a series of scenarios drawn up for Pakistan, Frederick Kagan, a former West Point military historian, has called for the White House to consider various options for an unstable Pakistan.

These include: sending elite British or US troops to secure nuclear weapons capable of being transported out of the country and take them to a secret storage depot in New Mexico or a "remote redoubt" inside Pakistan;
In full

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,,2220126,00.html
Hahaha - yeah right. 'erm yes, what is the money that these plans have not factored in the fact that these weapons are linked to the nationalist psyche of Pakistan? Therefore anyone who would help or was suspected of helping westerners seize them would not last five minutes!
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#10
OldSnowy said:
I hope to God that there is a plan - or lots of plans - to secure these warheads. They are reasonably safe in Pakistan now, as they are to deter India but if an islamic state came into existence?

They cannot be allowed to fall into such hands.
Life will certainly become a tad more interesting should they do so.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#11
Chuffit said:
Le_addeur_noir said:
There's a hidden agenda in most recent US relief efforts in Asia.

The American effort in the tsunami 3 years ago was probably used as a dress rehersal for the deployment of transport aircraft to expeditionary bases in South East Asia under the cover of aid flight flights.

Bush was on record as saying'they're only Asians" in the days after the tsunami in late 2004.
Is that for real? Do you have a confirming source?
I hope it isn't because if it is...I reckon that the element of surprise is now lost.
 
#12
Look sorry to be a bore but...
As you can see from the date I started a thread on this a week ago. No one commented. I also posted it on the other Pak Nuc thread running. And no one commented. So I'll post it here in the hope someone fcuking reads it. :D
The US it appears has been clandestinely involved with the PakNuc business for the past few years. It therefore figures that any speculation as to what might or might not happen next might benefit from knowing whats happened before.


Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 am Post subject: US/Pakistan Nuclear weapon collaboration

U.S. Secretly Aids Pakistan in Guarding Nuclear Arms

By DAVID E. SANGER and WILLIAM J. BROAD
Published: November 18, 2007

WASHINGTON, Nov. 17 — Over the past six years, the Bush administration has spent almost $100 million on a highly classified program to help Gen. Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan’s president, secure his country’s nuclear weapons, according to current and former senior administration officials.

But with the future of that country’s leadership in doubt, debate is intensifying about whether Washington has done enough to help protect the warheads and laboratories, and whether Pakistan’s reluctance to reveal critical details about its arsenal has undercut the effectiveness of the continuing security effort.

The aid, buried in secret portions of the federal budget, paid for the training of Pakistani personnel in the United States and the construction of a nuclear security training center in Pakistan, a facility that American officials say is nowhere near completion, even though it was supposed to be in operation this year.

A raft of equipment — from helicopters to night-vision goggles to nuclear detection equipment — was given to Pakistan to help secure its nuclear material, its warheads, and the laboratories that were the site of the worst known case of nuclear proliferation in the atomic age.

While American officials say that they believe the arsenal is safe at the moment, and that they take at face value Pakistani assurances that security is vastly improved, in many cases the Pakistani government has been reluctant to show American officials how or where the gear is actually used.

That is because the Pakistanis do not want to reveal the locations of their weapons or the amount or type of new bomb-grade fuel the country is now producing.

The American program was created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, when the Bush administration debated whether to share with Pakistan one of the crown jewels of American nuclear protection technology, known as “permissive action links,” or PALS, a system used to keep a weapon from detonating without proper codes and authorizations.

In the end, despite past federal aid to France and Russia on delicate points of nuclear security, the administration decided that it could not share the system with the Pakistanis because of legal restrictions.

In addition, the Pakistanis were suspicious that any American-made technology in their warheads could include a secret “kill switch,” enabling the Americans to turn off their weapons.
www.nytimes.com/2007/1...ke.html?hp
 
#13
Bush was criticized for his initial slow response to the tsunami,it was 3 years ago,but if I remember correctly,on CNN.

After that,they seemed to play catch up,and were operating out of Thailand to tsunami affected areas,and sent the USS Abraham Lincoln to Indonesian waters to assist in northern Sumatra.

The Indonesians were very sensitave to the US military being in their waters.However,with maybe 100,000 tsunami deaths in Indonesia alone,they needed all the help they could get.
 
#15
Taz_786 said:
Nothing new here, a contingency plan has been in place for years for these types of scenarios.

It's called CONPLAN 8022.
Oh do us a favour Taz.
They would be trying to stop a nuclear event happening not start one. Pakistan is supposed to be an 'allie' remember.
They will probably try and twist the Pak Army's arm into securing the nuks themselves, assisted by heavy breathing US 'advisors' in mufti.

Using a nuke, to nuke a nuke would in this context, at least at this point in time, be too over the top, (we hope)even for the Bush Whitehouse.
And putting western troops into Pakistan is out of the question.
 
#16
OldSnowy said:
I hope to God that there is a plan - or lots of plans - to secure these warheads. They are reasonably safe in Pakistan now, as they are to deter India but if an islamic state came into existence?

They cannot be allowed to fall into such hands.
Safe? Pakistan is rated every year by the Pentagon as the state most likely to carry out a nuclear first strike attack. In terms of threats Pakistan makes Iran look like Denmark.

As I pointed out on a earlier thread the Pak military is riddled with Jihadi nutters has a record of supporting mass terrorism, bonkers and occasionally genocidal actions. The main risk is from within the military itself. The relatively small civilian Islamist movements seem to be hand in glove with the ISI as it is.

Seizing those weapon if part of the wrong part General Staff decides it's had enough of this democracy malarkey would be very difficult. They are only on a promise to tell DC every time they move the components. DC might find Balad airforce base had been turned into glass and Bahrain or Tel Aviv are next.
 
#17
Fcuck me...so Bush has a Plan. Its just a shame that he or his minions
arn`t clever enough to implement it properly - everything the Man touches turns to shit. As I remember there was a plan for Iraq and Afghanistan and the whole thing is a Bag of Tits- eventually there will be big bangs and instant sunshine
 

Similar threads

Top