Burying bad news...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Mar 27, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the US government did use the war as an excuse to clear up something it had known about for a while, our lot would do exactly the same if they thought they coul get away from it.

As for the rape allegations, well there is a history of this sort of thing in the US Armed forces. The "tailhook" scandal which involved US Navy pilots in the 80's and the allegations of female recruits at the Aberdeen Army proving grounds (a sort of Yank ATR) being sexually harrassed.

3. Do many of you think this way?  ::) I find it simplistic in thought and lacking any credible evidence.  

History? Has it happened? yes, are American soldiers a bunch of rapists as you seem to propose? NO. Good lord man, tell me you don't base all of your comments on a few incidents from the past.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I know we tend to be pretty cynical over here, but don't imagine that we all think like that.

In my experience, cock-up rather than conspiracy is the norm, and Governments simply aren't subtle or sophisticated enough to try something like this (if they do, they'll surely muck it up).

As to Tailhook, it was some time ago, and at least it was 'uncovered' and the perpetrators dealt with.  We Brits have had our fair share of scandals in the past, so I don't think we should be the first to cast stones - wasn't there a major 'rape' trial involving Officers studying at Shrivenham a few years ago?

5. Ok, just checking. Guess I just have to get use to this place for a while, and those I'll encounter.

6. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I tihnk that there is an appreciable scepticism of this government because of past events. On Sept 11th, a government appointed "advisor" (politiko) in the Department of Trade and Industry called Jo Moore sent an email saying it was a great day to bury bad news in the news cycle. The tennet of the Civil Service in the UK is that it is a permanent institution which is independent of politicians, so to have political appointees in the civil service has caused a lot of scepticism. There were a number of high level resignations in the DTi as a consequence of that email, which is where those comments you read eminate from.

7. Well we all have IDIOT politicians, lord knows I hate about 1/2 or ours.

8. only 1/2?

9. Larv: I'm being kind, giving the other half a chance to recover their dignity before being slandered. I'm just full of compassion... ::) ::)

10. oh please stop. I'm gettin' all misty :'( :'( ;D

11. On the subject of "burying bad news" it would be an ideal time for us to sell ourselves out completely to terrorists-turned-politicians.

Its going to be interesting how "hard" Bush is going to be on terrorists, when he visits Northern Ireland in the next couple of days.

12. :-/ At least the terrorism has stopped...

But I think I'll stay out of that discussion. :-X

13. Careful on this one, lets not all tar the sceptics with the same brush and jump all over 11B3VB4 :)

14. Massive can of worms.. that could easily divert away from original subject.

I wouldn't however yet say everything is Rosy in the "Emerald Toilet" - a spot-on term, a lovely place spoilt by a few floating turds.

To stay on the subject of burying bad news, a lot of terrorist activity is probably ;) buried under the definition of crime to keep the statistics acceptable to polititians and consequently the greater public.

...just because you're not shooting anyone, doesn't stop you from being a sniper mate!