Burns Night

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by mastergnr, Dec 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Call me an old fashioned traditionalist, but I think that Burn's Night is an integral part of the Sgts' Mess Calender. It certainly was at my last RD post.

Do Mess Members, not of Scottish origin/association still enjoy the event??

2. In answer to your question, No, I never ever enjoyed Burns night, unintelligible poetry, but worse than that the faux jocks that come out of the woodwork (certain Ex RSM of 16 springs to mind).

Never did discover why it was a tradition in the Gunners, after all the majority of Gunners don't hail from Scotland.

3. Ha! whare ye gaun, ye crowlin ferlie!
    Your impudence protects you sairly:
    I canna say but ye strunt rarely
    Owre gauze and lace;
    Tho' faith, I fear ye dine but sparely
    On sic a place.

unintelligible?...........

4. CNUTTY BOLLOX!...........(Done in the best possible jockenese accent)

5. I don't enjoy the poetry, but reels and whiskey are a fine combination. Ask Alec Guinness (but not John Mills).

6. Burns Night is a fine evening. It is a) a ladies night and hence good for morale b)allows piping in the mess and hence Scottish Dancing and c)exposes people to Burns poetry. For those who like to take their Scots with a little dilution, can I suggest playing Burns poetry as interpreted by the lovely Miss Eddie "Fox pish gwar chanteuse" Reader?

As for Gunner/Scots linkage, there seem to be an awful lot of us in the Regiment. Probably something to do with the maths.

As for any other objections...who are you looking at pal, aw jesus I'm awfu fu'...bwaaaarp!

7. Aren't you supposed to pronounce 'poetry' as "po-yetry" as well? :D

8. No, it is pronounced (sed) as po-tree. Ye dirty wee bestid.

Actually I went to school in England, so the first time people realise i'm jockanese is when I a)put my kilt on and appear drunk or b)when I am drunk without my kilt on at around midnight and do something quintessentially tribal!

9. As an undercover Jock (only slip into native tongue when calling home) Burns night is far better suited to the Mess Calendar than the Valentine's Do alternatively held.

Good excuse to introduce have a formal ladies night with a bit of a difference.

500 posts before knocking off for Christmas Mission Accomplished.........

10. As a Scotsman
    who needs no education in Language nor a reason to hide my nationality. If I have to sit through St Georges Day doo's then you can at least spend an evening in a cultured educational repose, enjoyed the world over by scots and non scots alike. As for Ex RSM's of 16 Tazz please PM me on who, there has been few and far jock RSM there. After 18 years "i widnohimnowhitameeenbigman"

UBIQUE
    16 AIR DEFENCE REGIMENT THE STRATHCLYDE GUNNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

1. Burns, Burn's or Burns' ? - the Public should be told, and the Scots should know :wink:
    2. Where does this "still enjoy" come from? Has an Englishman [sober] ever told you that attending a Scottish pi**-fest where he can't understand a word being gibbered, and has to eat peasant food, is his idea of a great night out? :roll:
    3. As you say, you are "an old-fashioned Scottish traditionalist" and should be sent to the Colonies. :x

And a Merry Christmas to ye all, where ere ye may be :wink:

12. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

I always enjoy the Burn's Night function in the mess. Not so much a traditional full on Scottish event. More of a celebration of his good works and his Masonic background, to which messes owe their traditions.

13. at what point did I say that I was Scottish?

14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Ok, you didn't say you were Scots.
    Do you enjoy Burns' Night? ... Just luurrrrve that poetry? ... Can't get enough of that haggis and mashed stuff?
    Case proven, M'Lud ... to the Colonies with him! :lol:

15. I have never been to or heard of a St George's Day do in a Gunner establishment. My experience may not be that wide, but I would be interested to know anyone who has.