Burns Night

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Auld-Yin, Nov 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Fellow Arrsers.

There are a great many natural Jocks, adopted(or married into) or wannabee Jocks on ARRSE.

My suggestion is that we have a dinner to celebrate the greatest bard of all time by holding an ARRSE Burns Supper, at a time to be determined in late January (as close to the 25th as possible, but that is a Wednesday).

It could be fairly formal with collars and ties (for the ladies) and skirts for the Gents (dumming down for local yokels from saarf of the Border). Or it could be reasonably informal with a gathering of like souls, some good eats (haggis et al) and the occasional dram. (Last part of that sentence goes for option 1 also)

What think you?

2. Perhaps the other half, being Jock-ish. would be interested in something like this...I'd just have to press his skirt...location would be key!

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Will this be open to those of us who, though English, enjoy haggis and everything else surrounding Burns Supper? If so, I would be interested. I think a formal-ish style would distinguish the occasion from a crawl-style event.

4. Ah, the irony.

5. Auld-Yin

Of course you would be welcome (if we ever get it planned!) I like the formal-ish idea but not everyone is into that for a night out, but for once a year why not?

Of course there are other possable scenarios:

Walt Burns Night - all dressed up as per walt sites and have our haggis out of mess tins
    ARRSE morning after a crawl Burns Night - where you start the night with a hangover and nobody can face food
    Green Burns Night - vegitarian and alcohol free (anyone wanting that can org for themselves!)

What other suggestions?

6. Auld Yin, where would you have this nicht?

Efargee20

7. Auld-Yin

Effy (now there's a good Scots name)

that is completely up to where people want it, where is best placed for most, cost (does anyone have a spare Mess they could lend?) I am completely open to suggestions as this is just a fishing trip to try and see what interest there would be. Have to be fairly quick though.

8. Auld Yin,

Two places spring to mind. Well lots actualy but it depends on how much support we get. Would be nice in Edinburgh Castle. Would be more practical in Stirling Castle. Would be more likely to be (with a bit of planning and the usual protocals followed) somewhere like the Sgts Mess at 52 Lowland C (RHF) Coy in Hotspur St in Maryhill, Glasgow. Perhaps a bit short notice for the next Burns Nicht. It does though sound like something that could be struck and carried on with the right amount of support from all the Arrser's.

Jolly Japes

Efargee20