burning panniers

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by pkf72, Feb 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im just after a little info/advice please.

i have a Hartford VR( the cheap version of a DT125) as a little commuter bike ( about 10-15 miles per day city riding)
    what i need advice for is attaching panniers without melting them on the exhaust pipe.

are there any panniers that are ideal for this type of set up or do i need to try and make some heath robinson
    type of rack or heat shield?

yes i am aware that its a glorified moped and not some big mean iron horse, but try not to take the pish too much.
  2. Take the exhaust off. It's the bit of tin that will look like a McDonalds straw.
  3. unfortunatly its a big fat stainless steel monster and thus quite an important part of the bike.
    as i said im my OP lets not take the pish just because im a gayer who rides a girls bike.
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

As a gay boy who loves small foreign cars, I am on your side Bro. But I struggle to see this thread going to the Happy Place, you know?
  5. Use a tankbag, topbox or single-sided pannier?
  6. Get some 15mm copper tube Bend it with a bending spring, flatten, drill and fix to your frame under the seat to give a stand-off over your exhaust. Then a pair of £30 throw overs and Bob your Uncle is soaping your shoulders.
  7. Paneer is lovely when cooked properly. Paneer suits grilling or frying in a griddle pan with a little vegetable oil. However, by itself paneer tastes bland and a little rubbery. Indians rarely eat paneer without some flavoring, and usually it is an ingredient in a more complex dish. For example, paneer is often featured in dishes with spinach, tomato or peas. Other traditional Indian recipes involve grated or shaved paneer.
  8. SUU23 has the right idea. You just need to make up some sort of frame that will go under the panniers and hold them out to the side. Alternatively, use a top box instead. Usually top boixes look a bit gay or "pizza delivery" on anything other than a big touring bike or BMW GS type thing but, as you already acknowledge that you ride a girlie bike, that wont bother you.
  9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just get metal panniers.
  10. And if you keep your fish and chip/kebab in the bottom the transferred heat should keep them nice and warm.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ah, but can one cook them on ones exhaust?
  12. I don't see why not? Just weld on a little hotplate.
  13. cheers guys, as i suspected, i am going to need to create some form of frame for this.
    although do like the idea of something to keep my kebab warm.

p.s im not a total gayer i do own a bigger non girlie bike but save that for weekend fun rides.

many thanks for your help

14. Alternatively, wrap your paneer, or other food, in two or three layers of foil and simply tie it to the exhaust with some wire. By the time you get home it will be nicely cooked.
  15. You could try a couple of bungees to "lift" the pannier up & away from the exhaust (?)
    Worked for me, albeit on a slightly larger bike.