Burn Pits - what have you burned?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had an email from Theatre suggesting that some quite nasty stuff (that should come back to the UK for disposal) just be 'sent to the burn pit' instead. It got me thinking and looking in to the way we get rid of waste (or not). This is more about what the lads are having to breathe in every day than hugging trees or saving Afghanistan - I'm concerned for the lads and lasses dealing with something unacceptable.

So - is there anything you've not slung in a hole in the ground, covered in DIESO and tried to burn?

2. Not Afghanistan but in Iraq;

300 sets of Iraqi army uniforms and webbing belts which were ironically rescued from a burning storage shed in Al Amarah.

My idea of transporting them back to the UK for onward disposal (read selling on) was poo poohed by a nobber of an OC, who instructed me to lob them in the burn pit.

3. I smell a journo trying to reopen the Maddie story.

4. Also not afghan, but waiting to head into Kuwait - Chicken carcasses, one of which was stolen by a passing camel. It's not worth telling the entire tale, just enjoy the weird images

Afghan - kids clothing that was so soaked in blood, poo and urine that even the locals wouldn't have found a use for it. It was supposed to go into a clinical waste bag, but I wasn't keeping that stuff round any longer than needed. It was in a worse state than Dales living room carpet.

5. poo pooing is just rude

6. But not as rude as being the centrepiece in a bukakie final.

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

A full battle group tented camp, with all the attached stores, Chatham Camp Libya 1969, a pyromaniacs dream come true.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So true...so true

9. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Bosnia, BLMF. Just over the hill outside of camp, the local used to burn all the medical waste. Everything went into the burn pit. You used to be able to see the smog role down the hill to fill camp. Most of us reported sick at some point during the tour to make sure we would be covered if we have future lung issues.

10. Are scrapped vehicles shipped out from Afghanistan by ship or by air? Is it worth the cost of transport?

11. Iraqi prisoners that died in our custody. Gays cant even take a size 14 boot to the head.

12. They are driven back.

13. Also in Iraq, the bodies of shot dogs were unceremoniously burnt in a bomb crater at the back of an old Iraqi barracks.

If one was to close one's eyes, one could have been sat in Treblinka.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I emptied my morale in the burn pit daily in Iraq. Also a rather cutting dear John letter that I recieved.

15. Chins up big lad, plenty more fish and all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.