Burmese reinvent the Boys anti tank rifle.

Now that's a gat!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Very similar to the Barrett .50 cal from the look of it? Chinese (Norinco) copy ?

Gun Jesus did a video on large calibre homebrews used by the Kurds in Syria, interesting stuff:

Probably end up in the next province if it were the NTW20.

Mostly, The internet seems to think it is a native Burmese development, some sites reckon based on old Sov 12.7mm.

The barrel and receiver do look a bit light for 14.5mm TBF.

I bet they love doing drill carrying that

The only info around are these pictures.

Probably 14.5 mm by the looks of it.

View attachment 347251

View attachment 347252
Seems originally from March '18 and LatKhat Than 9

The Boys (Anti-Tank Rifle) is Back in Town! Burmese Anti-Materiel Rifle Development - The Firearm Blog
The article has a few pointers and a third image as well:
Images appearing on Burmese media networks have revealed that the Burmese state-run Defense Industries corporation has prototyped at least three different anti-materiel rifles (AMR), putting at least on of them into production and getting them into Tatmadaw service. Older Burmese field manuals indicate that every battalion has a sniper “squad” that is allotted up to 8 precision rifles. Previously these were the 7.62x51mm NATO BA63 precision variant (Burmese licence-produced G3 Rifle) but these have since been replaced by the MAS (Myanmar Army-Sniper) and subsequent MAS MK I, MK II (a future TFB post will be written on these precision rifles). So where this new anti-materiel rifle falls into the Burmese infantry structure isn’t known at the current time or if they are even with the sniper sections of the battalions. Many militaries treat larger 12.7mm rifles as a class separate from a precision weapon because they usually aren’t as accurate (older Barrett M82s held 3 MOA) and are better employed against fortified positions or light skinned vehicles.

What we know so far about the Burmese AMR in service is well, very little. Currently there isn’t an identifying nomenclature that has been associated with the rifle so we don’t even know what the Burmese call it. The first image that appears to have hit the internet is of what appears to be three prototype variants and was published online in 2017. In the background we have what is a modern derivative of the famed .55 Caliber Boys Anti-Tank rifle of Second World War fame. Although we don’t know the caliber of the rifle I’m making a conscious bet that it is chambered in the Soviet 12.7x108mm cartridge. The reasoning for this is that relations with Russia and Burma are steadily improving, indicated by numerous other defense purchases. In addition to the MAS rifle appearing to be chambered in 7.62x54mmR as well.
Going by the three images, it appears to be bolt action and initially looks like a development of the Indian: Ordnance Factory Board which is available in 12.7, 14.5 and 20mm. This is in itself came from the S African NTW-20. I can't see a side mounted mag on the Burmese weapons, so it's probably single shot

Mostly, The internet seems to think it is a native Burmese development, some sites reckon based on old Sov 12.7mm.

The barrel and receiver do look a bit light for 14.5mm TBF.
Looks a bit like the Azerbaijani gat.

MKE took an interest in it a few years ago and are reportedly making a version of it. I know first hand that MKE (the Turks) are actively trying to flog their range of gats from revolvers to mortars, encompassing shotguns and MP5's to anyone with a cheque book and end user certificate. So it may be the Turkish version, perhaps, maybe.

MKEK - Mechanical and Chemical Industry Company

I take it no one has considered it's actually a 5.56 and the bloke that's holding it is a midget........

Looks a bit like the Azerbaijani gat.

MKE took an interest in it a few years ago and are reportedly making a version of it. I know first hand that MKE (the Turks) are actively trying to flog their range of gats from revolvers to mortars, encompassing shotguns and MP5's to anyone with a cheque book and end user certificate. So it may be the Turkish version, perhaps, maybe.

MKEK - Mechanical and Chemical Industry Company
The Azerbaijani one is semi-auto recoil operated. This Burmese/Myanmar one looks bolt action according to the three pictures in the article and unlike the Azerbaijani weapon has no magazine or if it does it appears to be internal. The build is similar to the VIDHWANSAK but without the side mounted mag.

The reason i said Boys is because the weapon in the picture appears to have the same recoiling bolt action within the " stock " , the scope base is not on the action, which is too far forward for a normal bolt action.

Well, ours was called "Charlie the bastard". Will theirs be called Maung the Bastard?